how do you deal with depression?

exquisite

ive been so depressed lately, im becoming more closed off, im extremely irritable, just wanna drink...or smoke..just to get away from it all, my SA is building up, i can feel it, & everything i work so desperately hard on is slowly melting away.
what do you guys do to deal with depression? how do you get over it? or at least keep going? because at this point, all i ever want to do is stay in my room & stare at the ceiling, which, in turn, just drives me more over the edge. im not suicidal, no worries about that, i dont have the balls to do that. but i jsut cant stand all this misery & desperation anymore...

lunaticbinge

I just try to take life day by day. It's hard but theres nothing else i can do. I try to take as much pleasure as i can in little things, though the actual pleasure may be dwindling.

Danfalc

Banned
I don't deal with it very well,mines quite severe and seems to have a tight grip on my life.But going to the gym for exercise is the most effective way of dealing with it for me so far.Is hard to get the motivation when you first start but it's so worth it.

I try and set myself goals too,just little ones each week.It helps me feel like I'm trying to tackle my problems instead of just letting them run my life completely.

exquisite

funny thing is, its almost like i dont even wanna try to get out of it, almost like i wanna be miserable...idk. i hate it, but at the same time, its almost like it sustains me...

Feathers

Hmm, these days happen.. It's important to know this will pass too..
Maybe tomorrow or in a few days you'll be feeling great again..
Also, check your hormonal/monthly cycle.. I can get really depressed a week or two, and especially a day or two before my monthly... (Some call it PMS or even PMDD - I just call it relief - knowing it's that time of month & it'll be over soon!!)

And check what you ate or drank.. Sweets or alcohol or sweet drinks can make me go la-la-la... Maybe you can also have a food sensitivity or such..

A thing that often helps is journalling and doing the CBT (like from The Feeling Good Handbook by Dr David Burns, I highly recommend it..) Or writing miserable country songs and banging on the guitar, if I'm in the mood for that.. Or just listening to some.. Like the Eagles or Ana Gabriel, you really feel they've been miserable too, when writing or singing that...
They make pain into something beautiful.. and transcend it...
Just doing something you like doing..

Or watch Korean or Japanese drama. very silly, very much fun... :)

making myself go outside, into the sun or doing something productive (even just reorganizing a drawer or cleaning out my inbox, ideally something I have been procrastinating on for long, or really really bothers me) can make me feel better too!!

It may be you are angry with something or someone, in that case, working out your feelings (in a journal or such, or talking to someone neutral or that person) can be helpful too.. Or doing some problem-solving and dealing with the problem directly, to avoid future trigger situations or such.. There are all sorts of books and websites with tips on these..

I don't deal with it very well,mines quite severe and seems to have a tight grip on my life.But going to the gym for exercise is the most effective way of dealing with it for me so far.Is hard to get the motivation when you first start but it's so worth it.

I try and set myself goals too,just little ones each week.It helps me feel like I'm trying to tackle my problems instead of just letting them run my life completely.

Exactly. I was amazed after a while when depression went almost gone. Here and there still. My depression is probably linked to AvPD.

Just by going to visit gym. Really like the weights, good to get anger out. Now just have to find right way to eat.

Not one to like medication.

SilverFire

There is a creeping sickness that delights in misery, and I've felt this; it's like you're still falling through the dark endlessly but delighting in the feeling allows you to feel the wind rushing past, and glimpse the cruel half-human shapes etched into the walls blurring by. Yeah, it's not good to be there.

I find that doing even a little thing makes a difference -- for me, a little thing is often cleaning. It's not an earth-shaking difference in my world, but it is an improvement. The activity itself then leaves me with a feeling (however small) of accomplishment, some energy because I got up and did something, and that can lead to greater and better things.

lunaticbinge

There is a creeping sickness that delights in misery, and I've felt this; it's like you're still falling through the dark endlessly but delighting in the feeling allows you to feel the wind rushing past, and glimpse the cruel half-human shapes etched into the walls blurring by. Yeah, it's not good to be there.

Your words are lyrical!

I take some classes at my community college. It helps because I do good and it makes me feel smart.

My dad is gonna get us bikes so that I can get some exercise, because I can't go to a gym..I don't like to be watched while working out.

Try to go to sleep and wake up at the same time everyday. I have insomnia so when I don't sleep it makes my anxiety and depression worse. Also drink a lot of water.

And if all fails you can talk to your doctor(not sure if we are allowed to talk about medicine on here so I'll leave it at that)

chola

funny thing is, its almost like i dont even wanna try to get out of it, almost like i wanna be miserable...idk. i hate it, but at the same time, its almost like it sustains me...

How can misery sustain a person?

I'm not good at dealing with depression, so I'm glad this thread is here. Maybe I will try these suggestions to see if one of them sticks.

Danfalc

Banned

I get like this,or at least similar.I'm doing therapy at the moment and I realised while I don't want to be like this,I have been like this for so long now I've almost accepted it and given up.I have just felt like this for so long now it's kind of worn my hope down.

Though as long as we don't give up completely there is always hope I would like to think.

I experience the same contradictory feelings...sometimes I think I like being depressed and miserable. I think perhaps it's because it gives me an excuse for how pathetic my life is right now...no job, no boyfriend, few friends. I can blame it on the depression.

Depression comes and goes. Sometimes its short term or long term. It really depends on the person and their circumstance. Change some of your circumstances. If you want short term relief, go for a walk, go out somehwere, get air, try to talk to someone.

I don't understand why people struggle so hard with depression. Depression is part of life. 1 in 4 adults is depressed, depression is the number 1 mental illness. If you are depressed you are experiencing life.

What you can do for yourself is accept it, and continue with your life regardless of the depression, it will pass.

Danfalc

Banned
I don't understand why people struggle so hard with depression. Depression is part of life. 1 in 4 adults is depressed, depression is the number 1 mental illness. If you are depressed you are experiencing life.

Just because it's a common illness doesn't make it's easy to deal with,neither does sort of saying hey it's life get used to it.

Also there is a huge difference between getting depressed at some point in your life and suffering from long term clinical depression.Clinical depression also isn't something which will always just pass either though I agree with some of what you have said.

Remus

Staff member
Yeah, clinical depression is an illness in itself as compared to regular depression. Thankfully one I do not suffer, I have a close freind who suffers this and when in a depressive mood it is quite shocking to see the change in character, they can often spend weeks in this state.