Hello, I'm new to this site

Izolo

So I just started with my first job as an EFL teacher (English as a foreign language)
It all went quite well, the interview, the exams, etc.
But now that I'm working I feel like I can't take it anymore,
it's only been about three weeks but I can't stand it;
Sometimes I feel ok, calm, and happy about my job,
but most of the time I feel anxiety, depression, shame, insomnia, a mix of many different things.
I just want it all to end,
lock myself in my room and never come out to the world ever again.

Ignace

Don't stop, you're doing good. :) With time you'll feel better about your job. :)
Welcome btw. :)

Luke1993

Welcome Izolo! So you teach foreign students English? That's an amazing job! I wonder how hard English is to learn as another language compared with others.

TheMaegus

Hi,

I'm new here also. I am a graphic designer and have been with the same company for 10 years. I still have those kinds of days, like today for instance. Which is how I found this site, google searching for some sort of career that is completely devoid of human contact. But I will probably never quit this job, because anything else will probably be just as bad, or worse. So I guess the devil you know is better.

Izolo

Hi everyone,
thanks for your nice comments ^^
Yes, I'm teaching english in Peru,
I love languages but I have social phobia,
always thought that was kinda contradicting cuz you know, I like what I do but I just can't stand it sometimes : S
It's difficult you know? by being a teacher I have to interact with a lot of people.
I'm exposed to what I can't stand the most..
It's bringing back the depression and anxiety that I thought I had overcome..

Last edited:

Minty

You've just started a new job, which is stressful for everyone. I think if you give it some time, you'll find your rhythm and knowing what to expect day after day will give you some comfort. Once you're in that place, you'll be able to confront your anxiety issues easier.

Also, remember to compliment yourself. You should feel proud that you're a teacher doing what you love! And teaching English in another country! That must be really exciting. Focus on that as much as possible.

Thinking about your problems only causes them to grow.

DespairSoul

Hello Izolo,

Welcome to forum:D

Wow teacher ? Thats amazing, i agree with Minty u should continue in your job.
If u stop will take u no where and after time u will feel yet worse.Dont give up
focuse u to go forward day after day and u will see how things will going better
in some time. Time heal things the best.

GoBlue72

Izolo,

That's great that you've gotten so far already! The interviews, tests, and standing in front of a class would be enough to stress almost anyone out. Let alone, someone with social anxiety. All three cause me anxiety, and are much of the reason I have never wanted to be a teacher. Hang in there! I know anytime I start a new job, it's always taken a week to a month at least to start to feel comfortable. I think that's the SA doing it's thing, and hopefully you'll feel better soon.