Have you ever been in a fist fight?

Kiwong

I was punched and I punched back. However, it was verbal teasing that was far damaging and much more difficult to hit back against.

KiaKaha

Banned
Twice at school because of bullying - I retaliated.
Once when I was 18 - and got the absolute crap beaten out of me by a few guys.

The only other time was when some guy was being a jerk to my friend and I stood up for her - I got the crap kicked out of me then too, and I chipped my tooth which had to be repaired, but I still managed to get in a few.

but aside from that no.

AGR

Only as a kid,thing is fights are never fair from where I am from as a lonely guy I had or STILL have no chance I think,other than that in boxing if you can consider that.

Lea

Banned
With one younger male cousin when young, he could be dangerous sometimes. I tried to attack my father at times, or "defended" myself with knife, but he just grabs my forearm, twists it and I land on the floor, potential knife falls out. He is also a lot stronger, so I concluded this has no sense.

bcsr

More than I can honestly count. I'd say throughout my entire school years from 1st to 12th grade, easily 40+. Resulting in numerous suspensions, twice being threatened with expulsion, and once having the police called to my high school. I've been jumped twice. The first time I got soccer kicked in the face and knocked out, the second time turned out a lot better. There's been quite a few more due to my career field.

I'm not counting sparring sessions in the gym... those aren't really fights.

Last edited:

JuiceB

Well it seems that most people here have been in very few fights if any. I've had a ton of fist fights during my school years. Bullying for me wasn't so much physical as it was mental. I have a constant stutter that everyone would make fun of, which led to the majority of my fights. Sometimes I would win and sometimes I'd get beaten up.

I've only been in a single fight as an adult which almost cost me my job at the time.

drganon

The closest I ever got to a fist fight was with my cousin in a swimming pool. It didn't last long as my grandpa broke it up. The funny thing was that while I was looking at my grandpa yelling at us, I didn't notice my cousin was biting my arm. Thankfully, he didn't break the skin and all I had was teethmarks indented on my arm for about a day.

N0D

Banned
Adding my 2 cents, I don't think confronting a bully works, I did and he punched me in the face so hard i got knocked off my feet and needed stitches, and I never touched him. So I gained nothing but psychic scars and a sad reputation for the rest of my school days.

FallenFeathers

I feel like I may have not developed so much anxiety if I had just confronted one the a'holes that picked on me in junior high. It would have been a very one sided masacre since I had the physique of Olive Oyl but at least I would have gained some self esteem. Does anyone else feel the same?

I used to fight a lot at school and in my teens. Can't say it added to my confidence, people just find a way to mock you behind your back if they can't bully you physically. I like the fact I can stand up for myself, but being able to fight doesn't make anyone more of a man I don't think, it's pretty crappy because people seek to test themselves against you if your known to fight, all macho bs, plus you feel pretty horrible after the adrenaline wears off if you have hurt someone even in self defense or at least I did.

It's never too late though.. maybe learn some martial arts, even if fate willing you never have to use it, maybe knowing your not vulnerable if a physical situation ever happens might make you a bit more secure in yourself, not to mention the discipline you build up too :)

But at the end of the day I don't think anyone is weak or it's a negative thing if a person is scared of violence, I don't even get shakes after anymore, I find that slightly sad, violence isn't something we should become desensitized too.

yeh all these ppl saying things could have been so much better if they had of just caved in and faught the bully is false...you're assuming you would win the fight. but if you confront them and get your ass handed to you, then you feel much worse then if you did nothing.

spearhunter

Nop never have been in a fist fight, and hope i will never be, I am a very peaceful person and try to avoid any kind of physical or verbal battle.

Physically fighting a bully and winning can be a most rewarding experience, conversely, fighting a bully and losing the fight can make things way worse. I always got in 2 or 3 fights every school year, won some and lost some. Most times just the simple fact that you will make a stand discourages further harassment, however when that don't work it can really go from bad to worse. Most of my fights were simple fist fights, but there was one knife fight, the kid stabbed me in the arm when I wasn't looking and I pulled my knife and used it on him, the school sent him to the hospital and I was expelled. Another fight the guy pulled a knife on me and I dodged the knife somehow and hit him with brass knuckles, the guy was older and bigger and had been threatening my life for weeks so I had a pistol in my waistband and then i pistol whipped him several times and put the gun in his mouth and threatened to kill him before two friends pulled me away. I do not advise getting physical unless it is absolutely necessary. A lot of bad things can happen quickly.