Have you ever been in a fist fight?

IntheLabyrinth

I feel like I may have not developed so much anxiety if I had just confronted one the a'holes that picked on me in junior high. It would have been a very one sided masacre since I had the physique of Olive Oyl but at least I would have gained some self esteem. Does anyone else feel the same?

Ithior

I think the only time I could've been in a fist fight I was like 9, but the guy was much bigger than me. He had stolen my Digivice from my backpack and when I found out who it was I just took it back from his hands, and ran for my life. After some hundred meters the guy was still after me so I tried to reach the teachers' room. Got there just in the nick of time.

Never had any other sort of bullying except some older guys swinging me around once, I don't think I ever saw them again. So no fist fights here, and I can't help with your other question either.

ImNotMyIllness

For me, I don't think so. But, your post does reveal where you believe your low self esteem originates. I think a boxing or Krav Maga class might just give you the confidence boost your seeking.

coyote

i was only in one fight in high school

really it was more like me making an innocent wisecrack to some drunk psycho who knocked me down and started wailing on my face with his closed fists - i only needed a few stitches

IntheLabyrinth

Imagine someone being bullied, challenging the bully's masculinity until they swing at him. Then the first one ducking and landing a liver/kidney shot that leaves the other spending the night in hospital.

The mutual friends won't remember the bullying. They'll remember the violence and it might take months for them to forgive. Some may never forgive.

It happened to someone I knew once.

Sorry that the bully had to spend the night in the hospital and that the mutual friends (not sure how good of friends they could've been to the one getting bullied) didn't forgive him, but from just the details you've provided I would say it was probably worth it. I say it's worth because I would have rather lost the respect of my friends in Junior High, most of whom I don't speak to anymore, than be afraid.

emre43

Yep, gave as good as I got in the first one.

Second one, I was at the top of the hill and enemy was at the bottom I went down to confront him but slipped and got my head kicked in but got straight back up and said "Is that the best you could do?" He slunk off. I feel like another one now...

PGT

I have been In 3 proper fights. Broke my arm in the first. Broke my knuckle in the second. Got my lip split open in the 3rd, I don't think I am any good at fighting. I try to avoid any confrontation now and walk away its just not worth the hassle

IntheLabyrinth

I have been In 3 proper fights. Broke my arm in the first. Broke my knuckle in the second. Got my lip split open in the 3rd, I don't think I am any good at fighting. I try to avoid any confrontation now and walk away its just not worth the hassle

That all sounds very painful but at least you still have your vertebrae intact.

Lamb

I feel like I may have not developed so much anxiety if I had just confronted one the a'holes that picked on me in junior high. It would have been a very one sided masacre since I had the physique of Olive Oyl but at least I would have gained some self esteem. Does anyone else feel the same?

^ I feel the exact same way. I've never been in a fist fight.. it makes me sad. Violence may have been the answer all these years growing up. By being meek and fearful I'm paying for it now.

cocorose

No, never. I wish I would have learned to defend & stand up for myself though. I think I would get so nervous & scared if I was ever in a fight now :/. Confrontations just scare the sh*t out of me. But, I am going to think about enrolling my daughter some kind of martial arts class so maybe it will help her.

IntheLabyrinth

No, never. I wish I would have learned to defend & stand up for myself though. I think I would get so nervous & scared if I was ever in a fight now :/. Confrontations just scare the sh*t out of me. But, I am going to think about enrolling my daughter some kind of martial arts class so maybe it will help her.

That's a good idea. She probably won't have to fight and she'll build up her self esteem.

IntheLabyrinth

^ I feel the exact same way. I've never been in a fist fight.. it makes me sad. Violence may have been the answer all these years growing up. By being meek and fearful I'm paying for it now.

You don't ever hear violence is the answer but I think you're right. If only we had our older selves to tell us to fight back.

Right. If we could fight, play sports, and avoid looking like geeks, we would not have any grief at school. If only our parents had prepared us a bit instead of letting us go like lambs to slaughter.

SeasonalBlues

I guess i've had one proper fight, it was around the time i was starting high school...safe to say i came off worse.
Being as skinny as i've always been, meant fighting back was never really an option.

lonelee1

never been in one. but...id like to be!
at least once, get some aggression out. is that bad?

i confronted ppl who made fun of me years ago, and that didnt go so well. fisticuffs would be awesome!

oh hell yes!:thumbup:

One of my therapists asked me "what would you do if you could go back there now and stand in front of that bully?"
I said "I would punch her in the face".
Without even having to think of the answer, it just came out of me automatically.
I too think I would have come out of all that bullying a whole lot better if I had fought back.