• Yes. Yes.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • No. Yes.

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • No. No.

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

Iseesky

I just finished watching the movie Cheaters, a movie based on the true story of the 94/95 academic decathlon and the team from Steinmetz High School who cheated in the state finals. They got ahold of the test questions, found out the answers and memorized them. They were accused and stuck with their story of not cheating until the very end when one student started feeling bad and admitted to it. Aaanyway...

It got me thinking. I finished high school not too long ago. I didn't cheat. There were plenty who did cheat, though. Students who would share answers with those sitting next to them. Students who wrote essays the night before and snuck them into timed exams. Funny enough, those were the ones on student council, the ones getting full-ride scholarships to great universities all over Canada and the US and the ones who were praised by the teachers and principals.

Makes me question whether cheating is worth it. Everyone knew who cheated. Nobody said anything.

So...Did you cheat at school? Where did it get you? What about at work? Is cheating wrong? Is it okay under certain circumstances?

]unny enough, those were the ones on student council, the ones getting full-ride scholarships to great universities all over Canada and the US and the ones who were praised by the teachers and principals.

Nothing pisses me off more than that :p. Like I've said before, the school system is ****ed up. You get such cheating in school because the focus of it is not to educate or better a person but simply to get a higher paying job. When money is the focus of any endeavor, all things go to sh!t ;). 'Nuff said :cool:

Tiercel

I hate myself enough already. I didn't need to add cheating to the list of all the terrible things about myself. :D

No, I didn't cheat. I did well enough without cheating, and I didn't see the point in doing so. It's kind of like cheating in a strategy game: even if you do better, you know you're really not that good. And even when Physics I just did not work for my brain, I felt good knowing that was the best I could do. Even though I made the stupidest mistakes on every test, I'd rather be myself and suck than cheat and know I was only good because I was dishonest.

Edit: About the sneaking essays into class bit. For one of my classes in college we were told ahead of time what the essay question would be, so we could prepare accordingly. So I wrote a well thought out essay that said everything I wanted to say. Then I rewrote it five times and memorized it. So while I came with a prewritten essay, it wasn't quite cheating. On test day I think I was the first one done the essay. ;)

Last edited:

worrywort

I'd like to think I wouldn't cheat nowadays, but yea, I remember a couple of times taking GCSE's I cheated a little. In my written French exam we were allowed to take our french dictionaries into the exam so I wrote a bunch of notes in some of the pages!.....and in a maths exam we had these massive chunky scientific calculators which were like mini computers, and I found ways of typing in all the formula's and hiding them in the calculators memory! that actually helped massively I seem to remember! I got A's in both exams so it worked for me! ::eek::

Nowadays I'd like to say that all cheating is wrong and that I never cheat, but I doubt that's the truth. There do seem to be some cases when a little cheating can be a good thing. Like in sports, when a player might deliberately foul another player to stop a move and take the punishment for the team. Or, in the workplace, if you're in a team where everyone else has decided to cheat and your lack of cheating would actually expose your whole team. In those cases I might consider cheating, but it all depends on the people and the situation.

interesting topic though! :)

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I just finished watching the movie Cheaters, a movie based on the true story of the 94/95 academic decathlon and the team from Steinmetz High School who cheated in the state finals. They got ahold of the test questions, found out the answers and memorized them. They were accused and stuck with their story of not cheating until the very end when one student started feeling bad and admitted to it. Aaanyway...

It got me thinking. I finished high school not too long ago. I didn't cheat. There were plenty who did cheat, though. Students who would share answers with those sitting next to them. Students who wrote essays the night before and snuck them into timed exams. Funny enough, those were the ones on student council, the ones getting full-ride scholarships to great universities all over Canada and the US and the ones who were praised by the teachers and principals.

Makes me question whether cheating is worth it. Everyone knew who cheated. Nobody said anything.

So...Did you cheat at school? Where did it get you? What about at work? Is cheating wrong? Is it okay under certain circumstances?
I have never cheated, and never will. I do not lay claim to any higher moral reasons. My ego does not allow me such things.

I've noticed that it's perfectly normal now in high school to cheat, at least for the kids in the higher percentile. The honors kids either have ambition or parents driving them, and cheat as a matter of course. Ah well.

Mr.Moon

Never cheated never will. I caught people cheating off of me in school though.. dunno why, I didn't do well enough to make anyone think they'd get better answers off me.

Anomaly

I cheated on some test once to counterbalance my laziness (not turning in homework). I don't think much of it and consider it somewhat amusing. I also had fake scores put on some math homework in middle school because the teacher had a student from the class go around and "check" homework and they were usually willing to give me a grade despite not having any homework to look at. It was an algebra class and it was totally insignificant; I aced all of the tests.

Last edited:

Ignace

I always did fair tests, exercises, .. like half the class is cheating most of the time, and that's how they graduate. The teachers are always telling: I got eyes on my back, don't cheat or you get an N (0). Yeah right, they're such retards. So unfair ..

coyote

I never felt the need to cheat academically.

I never trusted that anyone else would come up with better answers than my own.

I've never cheated, but I wouldn't look down upon someone who would. We live in a society where school grades matter like nothing else, and so when you truly have trouble keeping your grades up, you might need to do whatever is necessary to compensate.

Though, when you CAN get good grades by studying, then you shouldn't cheat. In most cases there are programs to help you get better grades, so in most cases it's not acceptable.

I don't think cheating is "wrong" by the way... well it depends on the setting... but if you have to do it to survive, then there's no harm in that :)