Have ppl ever asked you about your life?

MikeyC

I don't like it when people ask me "How's it going?", "What's up?", or any of the variety because I'm not sure how to respond. I can either lie to them and say I'm doing alright - which I usually do - or I can tell them the truth and dump my problems on them, which doesn't happen often.

I tend to think of these types of questions as "conversation fillers" because people ask them for the sake of making conversation. Not that they have any interest in my life.
It's also used as a general greeting, and of someone else acknowledging your presence. I don't think they want you to unleash problems you're having on them, but they're being nice in seeing you and not ignoring you.

I don't generally get people that ask me about my life. One of the ladies at work knows about my depression and lack of confidence, and occasionally when she sees me, she'll ask if everything's okay. I think that's really, really nice of her. :)

laure15

It's also used as a general greeting, and of someone else acknowledging your presence. I don't think they want you to unleash problems you're having on them, but they're being nice in seeing you and not ignoring you.

I never thought of it this way. I thought people greet for the sake of talking. They're extraverted and couldn't stand the silence so they just talk to fill in the silences.

Labyrinthine

I personally find it far more awkward when someone tries to ask me about someone else. There's a costumer that comes into the restaurant and asks me how a former employee is doing. Which is fine, I have no problems answering with a generic "he's doing well." However, she never leaves it at that. She always has to ask for more personal things about his new house or his new girlfriend, in explicit detail. Sorry, but no way. Not my place to say lady.

BlueWeepingRose

I had people ask me how I was doing before, especially when I worked at Wal-Mart. That was one big drama show, everyone was always talking about someone or criticizing anyone who had a problem going on. I opened up before when I was working there and much later I regretted it cause I was the person everyone was talking about. Pretty soon after that I re framed from telling anyone at jobs I work at simply cause I don't think it's any of their business. Work is work in my opinion, and I don't tell many people I work with about my life, simply cause I don't want the same thing happening to me.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Why would it be rude? Sounds like a common question to me. Yes, I've been asked about my life before. It used to bug me when I was depressed, but not so much now.

LeDiskoLove99

Depends on the context, some people have asked me in a serious and friendly way how my life is going, if all is well and I just tell them I'm good thanks for asking or give them a few little details, no big deal. How can you be so sure she did it out of spite? Other than being a flake has she shown any other indication that she doesn't like you? Try not to take it too personally.