Gym Phobia.

Lalla

I can understand why gym may seem like a scary place, but if you really think about it.. there's not much you should worry about.
Everyone is there for the same reason. To better themselves. Wether a person is overweight and is trying to loose that weight, or someone skinny trying to put some muscle on, we all have to start somewhere. No one steps into the gym for the first time looking amazing and knowing exactly what to do. The bodybuilders weren't always built that way. Everyone has to start somewhere. Besides, most of the people in there are too focused on themselves to even notice what anyone else is doing (unless you get in their way of course).
Personally, I don't pay much attention to anyone when I step into the gym. I put my headphones on, get in my zone, train and get out.
You're worried about being overweight?.. Heck, I'm a skinny little thing trying to put muscle on and usually the only girl training in the free weights room among the men. Imagine the stares I get! .. but it doesn't matter. Like I said, we're all there to better ourselves, and I think most people will respect you for that rather than ridicule you.

Also, it helps if you find a gym where people are more serious about working out. I know most of the big gyms in my area are like night clubs where people seem to go socialize, but I found myself a little community gym where there's not much chatting going on, and people usually just get in, work out, and get out.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

I can understand why gym may seem like a scary place, but if you really think about it.. there's not much you should worry about.
Everyone is there for the same reason. To better themselves. Wether a person is overweight and is trying to loose that weight, or someone skinny trying to put some muscle on, we all have to start somewhere. No one steps into the gym for the first time looking amazing and knowing exactly what to do. The bodybuilders weren't always built that way. Everyone has to start somewhere. Besides, most of the people in there are too focused on themselves to even notice what anyone else is doing (unless you get in their way of course).
Personally, I don't pay much attention to anyone when I step into the gym. I put my headphones on, get in my zone, train and get out.
You're worried about being overweight?.. Heck, I'm a skinny little thing trying to put muscle on and usually the only girl training in the free weights room among the men. Imagine the stares I get! .. but it doesn't matter. Like I said, we're all there to better ourselves, and I think most people will respect you for that rather than ridicule you.

Also, it helps if you find a gym where people are more serious about working out. I know most of the big gyms in my area are like night clubs where people seem to go socialize, but I found myself a little community gym where there's not much chatting going on, and people usually just get in, work out, and get out.

Agree - 24 hour fitness like gyms sucks based on my experience. I joined a YMCA much smaller, communal feel. NOW - that can be worse in a way for ppl with SA - as, gonna see many more familiar faces like I do - so - when aren't chatty kathy type and sometimes avoid ppl can be awkward. Always personal convo's happening so more intimate. But. I prefer it over crazy, annoying big gyms.

scoobycrawler

i don't really know why you have panic attacks. I had one before but thats because i was on too many stimulant drugs like ritalain and stuff like that and i think that caused me to panic cause I took a few too many but in your situation i don't know why you have panic attacks or at least that one i just don't know why. Probably should try to figure out why you had a panic attack and don't be overconcerned with the gym its there if you want to use it. One thing you could do is go jogging in a more open place the gym treadmill is a little crowded...

If you're serious about losing weight and getting into shape, I think a home gym would be the best thing to get, even if it takes awhile to get everything for it. You would have easy access to it at all times and you wouldn't be paying a membership fee and all that.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

If you're serious about losing weight and getting into shape, I think a home gym would be the best thing to get, even if it takes awhile to get everything for it. You would have easy access to it at all times and you wouldn't be paying a membership fee and all that.

I don't disagree but didnt work for me, I tried it when I had a job and it got too easy to not do just being at my home - but - that's my personal experience I know others who do really well with a home gym. And cheaper in the end, oh yeah =D

fitftw

people DO stare at the gym. There's not much to look at...people look at each other. I've been going for a year now, seeing the same regular people there, and I still haven't said a word to any of them. I just put my headphones in and block everything out except me working up a sweat.

DespairSoul

Hello there,

Before times around my "14" i was loving go gym. Now? Look at me now. I'm scared like a chicken. People really do stare at u, but if u will go rarely and put earphones to your ears and listen some cool music, then u will feel much better, more confident and they will get use to it on u and let u in piece. Well good will be if that gym will be not to much full on start just choice some smaller one as some did and is happy with that, maybe u can later if u will feel to much uncomfortable really make some small "home gym"?

Richey

depends on the type of gym, if it's a big super sized gym that's always busy then i wouldn't go, no chance, a small quiet corner shop gym maybe, but even then it's always a really intimidating place to go in my opinion, i just think certain people are more inclined to not be bothered by it but i just think working out is such a private thing.

i much prefer running up and down an oval and doing exercises with hardly anyone around, weights is the same, i only lift in private and i don't want to become too fit either, i don't like the really muscular look, i just like the normal fit look.

funny thing is i find playing sports around people fine but the gym just feels like a weird place to go that is for uber confident people.

fitftw

^ your last sentence is pretty much true. I have a lot of confidence, but I don't like talking to people there. It would seriously bother me. But because I don't talk, when I make eye contact with people I see every day there, it makes me feel weird for not saying anything.

eek

I've never been to a gym, for the purposes of working out, in my entire life. Don't plan on it either.

Feathers

gyms or fitness equipment usually freak me out too, too 'machine-like'.. we have an Orbitrek at home, dad bought it, but it is rarely used.. and makes odd noise too..

I had a time when I was doing aerobics tapes or yoga, sometimes alone, sometimes with cousin when she was on vacation here... I didn't really like gym aerobics or yoga, too stressful for my knees/back..
and comparing oneself to all the people who already knew how to do the routines better, ehh...
I liked dancing or skating better, but the little girls did it better too!!
I preferred dancing to good music at parties (depending on where and size of venue too and the music etc..) or just to the radio... or jogging/walking/hiking..

So, I guess it's important to find something you really like, whether you do it on your own or with others..

Feathers

I tried to go again today since it was raining and I figured not so many people would be there...

But there were even MORE people than before. It's impossible. ::(:

If it's sunny people will go jogging/running/walking/hiking.. so it makes sense there would be more.. you could ask people who work there when it's least busy? maybe some hours are better than others..