Gym Phobia.

Social_Monstrosity

How do you overcome it? I've started committing myself to start exercising a lot more but around 10 or 15 minutes into my workout at my community gym today, I experienced a panic attack and immediately left. It was insanely embarrassing, so many people were looking at me, I felt as if I were being scrutinized to the bone.

I am fat and I could lose around 50-60 lbs but I will never happen as soon as I need it to if I keep experiencing severe anxiety in the gym. :(
If I could afford it, I would invest in a home-gym, it would be SO much more convenient...

WeirdyMcGee

If you have floorspace to lay down and work out without hitting things; whatever you could do at the gym can be done at home. You don't need fancy elliptical machines or treadmills to get a good workout.
I do yoga and strength training every day and have an area of 6ft x 3ft to do everything in, but it's more than enough room for me.

Gym membership fees are ridiculous... if you can afford it though, most gyms or community centers offer classes that you could join until you feel better about yourself and can work out on your own.

You can pick a class with people who have similar body types to you, usually; if you think that would help you feel less self-conscious.
Also-- having a specific class to go to a couple times a week will create a habit that will help you stay motivated to work out more.
The more you work out, the more energy you will have to do things.

jus

Same.

I feel like its a chore going to the gym after paying $$$$$ membership fee's.
I like to do it at my own time, when i feel like it usualy at 9pm.

You can easily spend 1/4 (or less) of a yearly gym membership and build yourself up a nice home gym if you have a bit of space.

I do all my exercise myself. I don't go to gyms.

Kiwong

Same.

I feel like its a chore going to the gym after paying $$$$$ membership fee's.
I like to do it at my own time, when i feel like it usualy at 9pm.

You can easily spend 1/4 (or less) of a yearly gym membership and build yourself up a nice home gym if you have a bit of space.

That's right. I have a home exercise bike that's the only I have. For exercise I mainly do sits up, push ups and quad strengthening, I use a pillow or ball. Most of training is outdoors running, or sometimes at the pool.

JamesSmith

I'm a self-exerciser too. I used to have a gym membership, but now I just feel like gyms aren't meant for shy people. Running is something that is better to do outdoors anyways. I have a barbell in my house too, that's all i need. I didn't like the gym cuz it's all open and people can see what you are doing. It's like hmm, i wonder how much he's lifting there?

jus

hehe yeah I know what you mean. When I started at gym i was struggling with the 10kg dumbbells, lil embarrasing when the tiny girls are doing double that :p

I also just got barbell / bench (with lat pull down / preachr pad thing), exercise bike and pullup bar. more than enough. But yeah agree with Kiwong, dont realy need the fancy machines etc, pushups can give great results quickly.

The 20kg weight plates are getting a lil expensive though. There like $80 each in AUS..... luckily I dont have to buy em to often tho :p

Only thing im missing is a training buddy :( Had an experience last year where I couldnt get the bar off me.. was just to heavy (yes i know its extremely dangerous / possibly lethal). Spose it would of been more embarrasing it happening at a gym however :|

I'm a self-exerciser too. I used to have a gym membership, but now I just feel like gyms aren't meant for shy people. Running is something that is better to do outdoors anyways. I have a barbell in my house too, that's all i need. I didn't like the gym cuz it's all open and people can see what you are doing. It's like hmm, i wonder how much he's lifting there?

Last edited:

Kinetik

Personally I think you should take the bulk of that extra weight off through nutrition, so I wouldn't say the gym is a requirement at this point. In fact, it may well contribute to your size. If I were you I'd watch what I eat over the course of this year and try to take most of the extra pounds off that way, and only then go on to working out. As others have said, it's completely fine to do that at home - it's what I do. The plank, pull-ups, and all variations of push-ups. For now though, I think you're better off sticking to a little cardio to help get the weight off, but anything with too much resistance and you might well be defeating the purpose.

ripewithdecay

I used to love the gym. Now it feels very alien to me. Im afraid that if i went back i wont know how to operate anything properly. Maybe if i had a personal trainer to guide me through everything it might be better. Can't imagine how much that would cost though.

Sorta

Having panic disorder makes me very hesitant to go. I work out at home for now and I constantly have to fight off panic attacks during a work out. Also doesn't help that I'd be going alone, I'd try to go if I actually had someone to lift with.

Danfalc

Banned
I struggled at the gym when I first went, but I enjoy it mostly now. My anxiety still flares up every time, especially signing In at reception but it's worth it.

I use to be so self concious, I felt so out of place because most of the guys were body builders and stuff. But In reality everyone is too busy doing their workout to stop and gawp at us, we really are not of as much interest to other people as our anxiety would like us to believe. My anxiety never disappeared completely but it does get better.

I think the gym is a win win situation if your ready for it, you can work out and try and work on your anxiety too.

aidan

i want to join a gym, but i have this problem of everyone gawking at me and looking out of place, i get quite panicky.

UnOccupied

Yeah, theres programs like P90X, or Insanity which can be done at home. You don't need and weights, or anything, just some space, and a good attitude, becuase its VERY HARD. You can torrent it for free if you know how.

Anyway, about the gym. It causes me a lot of anxiety too, but i usually go anyway, put my head down, listen to my headphones, and don't pay attention to anyone else but me. And plus, there's many people at the gym who are overweight. Isn't that who gyms are for?

Luke1993

Yes I completely understand OP. I was at the gym but I don't go now because of my college schedule. So now I do it at home in the evenings. I was really only able to go because my brother who is an experienced lifter was there with me, but eventually I was able to go on my own and I enjoyed it too!

Social_Monstrosity

I tried to go again today since it was raining and I figured not so many people would be there...

But there were even MORE people than before. It's impossible. ::(:

JamesSmith

I tried to go again today since it was raining and I figured not so many people would be there...

But there were even MORE people than before. It's impossible. ::(:

It sounds like you are torturing yourself when you don't have to. I have a short workout regimen, and I get a lot of work in that short time with no weights besides a dumbell. I run a mile, and that's with a shin muscle that hasn't healed from being torn (and I'm not sure if it ever will, it's been almost two years), I lift a 30 lb dumbell for curls two sets, I do 1 set of as many push ups as I can, and then I do sit-ups. After doing all of this, I wasted no money on a gym membership and only needed a dumbell and tennis shoes. And look at what I worked on, push-ups worked my whole upper body, worked the biceps with the curls, worked the abs with the sit ups, and then I built up my endurance and legs with the running. That's a heck of a workout right there, all of it was done right next to my house and inside of it without spending a dime considering I already have the dumbell which was cheap as it is. And a great part is I didn't have to work out a bunch of random strangers in the same room.

Last edited:

Liam17

It sounds like you are torturing yourself when you don't have to. I have a short workout regimen, and I get a lot of work in that short time with no weights besides a dumbell. I run a mile, and that's with a shin muscle that hasn't healed from being torn (and I'm not sure if it ever will, it's been almost two years), I lift a 30 lb dumbell for curls two sets, I do 1 set of as many push ups as I can, and then I do sit-ups. After doing all of this, I wasted no money on a gym membership and only needed a dumbell and tennis shoes. And look at what I worked on, push-ups worked my whole upper body, worked the biceps with the curls, worked the abs with the sit ups, and then I built up my endurance and legs with the running. That's a heck of a workout right there, all of it was done right next to my house and inside of it without spending a dime considering I already have the dumbell which was cheap as it is. And a great part is I didn't have to work out a bunch of random strangers in the same room.

Thats good advice

I got jogging for 2 mile's a day,
and do around 200 sit ups.

I'm not bothered about gaining muscle in my arms at the moment though, so i'm just working on my abs, and overall stamina.

richy

Each time I went it got easier and easier (first time was hard). I have to shut my eyes though whilst exercising so as to not gain eye contact with anyone lol.

Tuco

I agree with kinetic, nutrition is more important if want to transform your body, joining a gym is a good idea, but if you don't change your diet you are not going to succeed.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

You think if u had less weight your SA would be bearable ? I duno but i tend to think that's your problem.

Like most here said, home made exercises can help, but u tend to lose motivation in time. I had two adjustable barbells that i used to work out with, but in time.. discontinued. Getting to the gym keep me more motivated.

Im sure u can find some very loose cloths that can hide your overweight and some hour in the day when its less crowded (when ppl are at school/work).

This is me too - I homework out as back up... but my home is just so inendated with negative feng shui it's hard to motivate self at home. And not so easy to change the energy positivly by working out there I tried that.

Gym STILL hard for me with SA - greeting ppl at desk as enter, ppl who've seen you for my case I joined gym years ago - see ppl in that time never chat with always feel awkward see them forever but dont chat...

BUT usually in my head. Hard to find a place to zone them out - music was my key - took time. FEW ppl will be caring/thinking how you look/etc.

BUT as James said - can do a lot esp lose weight at home. BUT DIET is I agree - number 1. ... Exercise 2. to lose/keep off weight.