Graphic Thoughts

p i a n o♬

Sometimes I get these really graphic thoughts in my head, they're pretty stupid too, like for example; killing my dog, murdering a family member, making someone upset by insulting them... Pretty much anything that will hurt someone physically and mentally. I know it's a horrible thing, but I really don't intend to do these things. Not at all. They just pop into my mind and tug on my thoughts. Sometimes the thoughts come with some gruesome images of it and others don't have any at all. But when these thoughts do come, they can really terrify me at times. I've lived with this since I was a kid.. But it wasn't as bad. Sometimes, they'll come in masses and just scare me to death and other times, I'll only get one for the whole day. I feel pretty proud of myself when I don't even get any thoughts but it's rare..

I also have this thing with the number 10. I just have to turn these light switches on 10 times to get good luck. I need to turn off this TV on and off 10 times or else it will be a horrible week. The funny thing is, some times I argue with myself deciding whether or not I'll get good luck from doing this or it just might be a trick... I know it's stupid.

I'm pretty sure I don't have OCD, though.. I really don't think I do. I just want to know how to make those thoughts go away.. It's getting harder and harder to pull away from them -- and I don't want to mess up horribly by actually obeying one of the thoughts... But I'm sure I'll be able to withstand it. ::eek::

fitftw

I'm sure you wouldn't actually do anything horrible like killing anyone. I've thought these things as well and when I was growing up I would curse God for some reason I can only remember one time I did that but I'm sure there were more.

The 10 times thing is or maybe isn't a superstition. Nobody ever knows for sure. You doing that 10 times might be the right way to be, and nobody else knows it but you. Right? How could anyone know the truth?

Sorry if none of this helped. I'm...let's say I'm feeling hungry and weirded out by everything.

dottie

the light switch thing is ocd. about the intrusive thoughts, just accept that no one else knows they are there, and recognize them for what they are: intrusive, irrational thoughts, that you would never remotely humor acting upon. when the thought enters your mind, just remind yourself of it, don't feel guilty ir stress- it's normal, and try to focus on something else. that's probably easier said than done.

DarkPhoenix

Have you discussed these thought and habits with a psychologist or psychiatrist? If not i strongly recommend you do, just in case you have a condition that you are unaware of.

frogger

That definitely sounds like OCD to me. The thoughts will progressively get worse the more you worry about them. You have to tell yourself that the thoughts are meaningless, no matter how intrusive they become. I have dealt with the same **** and have never once came close to actually picking up a knife and going on a rampage. **** your thoughts. They are bull****, and YOU are in control of your body and happiness.

MaxineRyder

Graphic thoughts are not unusual, but they are worse when you have OCD. Plus there's something about OCD that makes our reactions to our thoughts completely panicked. I reckon that if we took the panic element out of OCD, we'd be halfway to curing it.

So next time you have a thought, try not to panic, reassure yourself that you arent about to act on it, and that it will eventually fade, especially if something more interesting comes along to distract you :)

Love
Maxine xx

Luna1740

everything that you talked about sounds just like OCD, but actually people with OCD are less likely to actually do it because they've thought it out so many times. If you were going to kill a family member, you wouldn't worry about it, you'd just do it

Kiwong

The little spolit that live in the back of my mind plays those intrusive thoughts in my mind too. Tries to stop me enjoying myself. It invariably fails.

coyote

This is very interesting.

I've had episodes like this off and on many times.

[Shocking Revelation Follows]

One of the main reasons I ended the marriage with my first wife was because I couldn't stop planning how to kill her, and I thought I would eventually break down and do it if I didn't leave.

OCD you say? I never suspected. I've always just thought I was a horrible person.

rodinski

This is very interesting.

I've had episodes like this off and on many times.

[Shocking Revelation Follows]

One of the main reasons I ended the marriage with my first wife was because I couldn't stop planning how to kill her, and I thought I would eventually break down and do it if I didn't leave.

OCD you say? I never suspected. I've always just thought I was a horrible person.

Oh man, that is just the tip of the iceberg.

You guys still in contact with each other?

rodinski

Yes people with OCD are far less likely to commit ANY crime than those who do not have it, at least that is what they say. One psychiatrist actually said something along these lines " I would feel much more safe on a subway train packed full of people who have OCD and who are all carrying hand guns than I would walking down a street in a big city".

I think I read this in the book "brain lock" by Jeffrey Swartz. I am not 100% positive though.

sigged.

ohforgottoaddabunchofothercharactersbecauseimlimitedtoonly10

Sorta

I get something like this as well, accept they're about injuring myself I guess. I imagine things like my leg, head, or arms getting smashed by something or caught in spinning wheels. I also get urges to drive my car into things or off cliffs. The worse is when I go rock climbing, I get very strong unwanted urges to jump when I'm at the top =/

I'm not sure, but I think they started a few years ago after a bad motorcycle accident I had with a car that ran a red light. I can't seem to remember if I had these thoughts before that.

Honda

I had my share of such thoughts.. They arent positive thoughts but were humans... The difference between a normal person and a madman is the fact a normal person controls his madness... Society marks anyone hinting these thoughts as mad and insane which is completely wrong..

Let me know if i said something wrong here..

dpr

p i a n o♬;334461 said:
Sometimes I get these really graphic thoughts in my head, they're pretty stupid too, like for example; killing my dog, murdering a family member, making someone upset by insulting them... Pretty much anything that will hurt someone physically and mentally. I know it's a horrible thing, but I really don't intend to do these things. Not at all. They just pop into my mind and tug on my thoughts. Sometimes the thoughts come with some gruesome images of it and others don't have any at all. But when these thoughts do come, they can really terrify me at times. I've lived with this since I was a kid.. But it wasn't as bad. Sometimes, they'll come in masses and just scare me to death and other times, I'll only get one for the whole day. I feel pretty proud of myself when I don't even get any thoughts but it's rare..

I also have this thing with the number 10. I just have to turn these light switches on 10 times to get good luck. I need to turn off this TV on and off 10 times or else it will be a horrible week. The funny thing is, some times I argue with myself deciding whether or not I'll get good luck from doing this or it just might be a trick... I know it's stupid.

I'm pretty sure I don't have OCD, though.. I really don't think I do. I just want to know how to make those thoughts go away.. It's getting harder and harder to pull away from them -- and I don't want to mess up horribly by actually obeying one of the thoughts... But I'm sure I'll be able to withstand it. ::eek::

This is all OCD man.