Getting over shyness (for me anyways)

u_name

I grew up as a really really really shy child. Just to give you an idea, I was chosen to be one of the kids to play in the school band because I was bright. I really wanted to play the flute, but the instructor would tell me "Look at me in the eyes." and I could not for the life of me keep eye contact. Not even for 2 seconds straight. So I never joined band. I'm now much better, and I attribute that largely to the job I've been working at for about 5 years now.

I am a cashier.

Being a cashier forces you into so many different social situations in such a short amount of time that you either have to adapt, or you can't do your job properly. If I was never a cashier, I think I would still be a really really shy guy.

Just a little blurb from me to the infinitely expanding internet.

pinata

That's brilliant! Sounds like you've made a lot of progress, so well done :] I'm meant to be starting a job where I will have to work on a till. It's only like 3 hours a week at most but I'm dreading it. I'll have to adapt like you lol.

Sora

That's great! Well done! :)

It would indeed change you, I think I will always be a little shy no matter what I do but I don't mind it.

brainfog

I grew up as a really really really shy child. Just to give you an idea, I was chosen to be one of the kids to play in the school band because I was bright. I really wanted to play the flute, but the instructor would tell me "Look at me in the eyes." and I could not for the life of me keep eye contact. Not even for 2 seconds straight. So I never joined band. I'm now much better, and I attribute that largely to the job I've been working at for about 5 years now.

I am a cashier.

Being a cashier forces you into so many different social situations in such a short amount of time that you either have to adapt, or you can't do your job properly. If I was never a cashier, I think I would still be a really really shy guy.

Just a little blurb from me to the infinitely expanding internet.

that's good, i used to be a cashier, and int he beginning i was quiet, but as i worked longer and more, i had no choice but to interact with my coworkers, and the customers. with customers it was like they would make a joke or laught, and slowly but surely i started to do the same, i guess being in that environment constantly chatting with coworkers, it made me open up, and they were bored and had to talk to stay sane throughout the shift so they would talk to anybody, including me.
very good way to learn to converse and be social. that was awhile ago thought, and now i'm back to how being a shy guy, im trying to break out of it though. wish you the best, as tiem goes on you'll open up and will be making jokes/talking more and more before you know it !

u_name

that's good, i used to be a cashier, and int he beginning i was quiet, but as i worked longer and more, i had no choice but to interact with my coworkers, and the customers. with customers it was like they would make a joke or laught, and slowly but surely i started to do the same, i guess being in that environment constantly chatting with coworkers, it made me open up, and they were bored and had to talk to stay sane throughout the shift so they would talk to anybody, including me.
very good way to learn to converse and be social. that was awhile ago thought, and now i'm back to how being a shy guy, im trying to break out of it though. wish you the best, as tiem goes on you'll open up and will be making jokes/talking more and more before you know it !

Totally. The best way I could put it is that you learn to pretend not to be shy. lol

Silatuyok

I am really shy around people I know just a little bit, but I am good at customer service jobs because I feel relatively comfortable around complete strangers. It's weird how that works. In fact, I've been considering getting back into customer service part time because I miss that forced daily interaction with people.