Gamers thread

LoyalXenite

Just kidding lol. Noice...Was going to look at that myself :)
30793771.jpg

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
An update on the video games I've spent way to much time playing a completely appropriate amount of time playing lately.

Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild. I actually beat this one a bit ago, and immediately afterwards I had a lot of thoughts, but I have forgotten most of them. A few big takeaways I can state though.
1) Totally worth playing.
2) The feels, very good at hitting you in the feels. Nostalgia feels, heartbreak feels, heartwarm feels, all of the feels.
3) DLC, very good. Adds a worthy amount of content. And
lets you ride a motorcycle around Hyrule after you beat the final boss. As awesome as it sounds.
4)Overall, start to finish, I have fond memories. I think I had a few criticisms before, but if I can't remember them they clearly don't matter much!

Super Mario Oddyssy. This was a fun, easy to pick up and play game. I'm not what you'd call "good" at Mario games, but I had a fairly easy time beating this game 100%. I googled a few things along the way, but that was more because being an adult doesn't provide me the luxury of spending the day combing over a world looking for a few purple coins :p. There were a few repetive tasks (Like jump roping 100 times in a row) that were a pain, but do-able.

More importantly, it was fun! It has that light, Mario sense of humor that made playing it enjoyable. Like watching a kids cartoon it would provide innocent joy. And my goodness, the nostalgia it throws at you throughout, and especially the end though. Throwbacks to classic donkey kong, regular 2D Mario segment, an entire world that replicated Peaches castle from Super Mario 64, and so many outfits from previous games. They were great added touches. It was everything I expected from a Mario game, plus a little more.

Fire Emblem:Three Houses. When I was a kid I had Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced and put between 400-600 hours of playing into it over two playthroughs, and when reflecting on it as an adult couldn't fathom how I managed to do that. Well, that was until I started playing Fire Emblem. I freaking love tactical RPGs. I had forgotten exactly how much until I started playing this though. I greatly prefer strategy over skill when it comes to gaming (as I am more clever than I am technically skilled at using a control) and games like this lean into that dramatically. So the gameplay of Fire Emblem is perfect for me, I love it. Weapons, classes, positioning on the grid, planning multiple turns ahead, I love it!

Then there's the story though. I mean, it's like anime meets the high fantasy genre. Now, I will say the cut scenes are in abundance, but it does pay off. I feel attached to the characters like I would in a movie or a book (Or, an anime). Many of the bigger plot points have fully animated 90's style anime scenes which is totally awesome. And the fact that it all takes place in a world with swordsmen and kingdoms and dragons and magic just makes it even better. Arguably the best genre in my eyes. It feels like I'm playing a book. An awesome book with the best style of gameplay.

It does have 4 separate story paths though, meaning I'll see you all in about 3 years ๐ŸŽฎ

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Just got this. Supposed to be quite scary. The last good horror game I played was Resident Evil 7 Bio-hazard in VR.
I'm finding it difficult to enjoy a really good horror game since bio hazard.. but this game seems to be promising.

Phoenixx

I've been very slowly making my way through the Isle of Armor DLC (I know, late playthrough) for Pokemon Sw/Sh. It's been fun capturing Pokemon and exploring the areas, but I'm finding it a little annoying that I have to grind Kubfu to lvl 75 in order to proceed with one of the towers. Yes, I've been having to grind because I don't have enough XP Candies to just level him up that way. I actually find the 4 and 5 star Dynamax battles (in order to achieve those candies) really challenging and it's hard for me to win any unless I'm connected to the internet and actually have others join to battle. ๐Ÿ˜

I can't wait to play the Crown Tundra once I'm finished with this. I technically could play it now, but I really wanted to complete one area before heading to another.

PugofCrydee

This is getting me pumped so much.. a return to Ice crown... all the pre Wotlk players are bitching about the infectious zombie plague..

Phoenixx

The quirkiness of this game is reminding me similarly to Ooblets.
๐Ÿ˜
๐Ÿ˜
I am loving this playthrough and I can't wait to play it someday in the near-ish future.
๐Ÿ˜„
(And by that I mean, within the next year plus when I decide to get a PS5)

PugofCrydee

I'd had a cpl of drinks last night (going into a 6 day lock down) and played some Wow. I was unusually relaxed in a social sense (even if I play while having a drink I usually keep to myself socially) and ended up chatting to 2 new people (separately) and that was over a good 3-4 hours.
I certainly didn't have a lot of alcohol, probably about 4-5 standard drinks over about 5 hours or so. But damn it was good to just talk shit with someone else for a change.

Phoenixx

I've been very slowly making my way through the Isle of Armor DLC (I know, late playthrough) for Pokemon Sw/Sh. It's been fun capturing Pokemon and exploring the areas, but I'm finding it a little annoying that I have to grind Kubfu to lvl 75 in order to proceed with one of the towers. Yes, I've been having to grind because I don't have enough XP Candies to just level him up that way. I actually find the 4 and 5 star Dynamax battles (in order to achieve those candies) really challenging and it's hard for me to win any unless I'm connected to the internet and actually have others join to battle. ๐Ÿ˜

I can't wait to play the Crown Tundra once I'm finished with this. I technically could play it now, but I really wanted to complete one area before heading to another.
I FINALLY finished up the Isle of Armor today. Have to admit that whole story from start to finish was incredibly boring. Urshifu is a great sweeper though, so that kinda makes up for an otherwise lackluster playthrough. The wild area is also pretty interesting and keeps you coming back as well. The final battle was pretty good and somewhat challenging if your team is lvl 75 and under like mine was as I created a whole new team for this DLC.

Speaking of which I was really disappointed in the team I made. I try really hard with every Pokemon playthrough to obtain new monsters to strategize with. Sometimes I am pleasantly surprised and I wind up with a new favorite or two, other times I kick myself for not sticking with my usuals. The team I built for Isle of Armor was Braviary, Bisharp, Urshifu, Galarian Slowbro, Coalossal, and Dragapult. Bisharp has been around for a few gens now and I had never used one prior. Really enjoyed playing with one and has become a new favorite. I really wanted to like the new Slowbro, but I just can't. Stats are just terrible, imo and more often than not, mine found its way to the bottom of my team roster only to be broken out in times when I needed to make a sacrifice to prep or heal another team member. ๐Ÿ˜… Same thing happened with Coalossal too. Wanted to like using one, and loved its learnset, but hated battling with it. I guess I just prefer fast sweepers and hefty types with lots of hp and resistance. Not so much those used purely for support and prep.

Started Crown Tundra today as well and I'm enjoying it far better than the previous DLC. My new team is much better too: Blaziken, Marill (eventually Azumarill), Luxray, Leafeon, Zubat (eventually Crobat), and Gabite (eventually Garchomp -- one of my most favorite dragon type Pokemon). ๐Ÿ‘