Gamers thread

LoyalXenite

95733812_3000247886688116_2375354611063062528_o.jpg

Phoenixx

I couldn't resist and bought a dozen amiibo coins of my favorite villagers for ACNH. Can't get any amiibo cards and many people and places are price gouging the hell out of them, including handmade amiibo coins. The ones I bought look like just plain cardstock coins and were half the price of other places. Plus I got free shipping. Now once they arrive next month, I'm seriously thinking about restarting my whole island. I don't hate it, but there's so much I WANT to change and I don't really want to spend a shitload of bells to do so.

Added note, I'll now have a use for my little bell bag I got when I originally pre-ordered the game. Yay!

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I decided to get the DLC for Breath of the Wild. I am generally not a DLC type person, as I am cheap and it often feels more like a cash grab than anything. While I would have still preferred that it all came with the game, it definitely has added noticeable value. Like it added a feature that tracks your path across the map - that alone makes the game 1000 times better. Now If I want to go exploring, I can look at the map for places I haven't been yet rather than try to remember where I haven't been. The extra items and side quests look like they are going to bee cool too, lots of throwbacks to earlier games in the series.

So in this specific instance, DLC gets a pass with me. Good job, DLC.

Phoenixx

I have been watching TagBackTV on YouTube lately. I recently started watching for his ACNH videos, but then he started playing BOTW for the first time (VJ I think you'll like it. He also never played until this month) and I'm sucked in. He's quite funny and I love his gameplay, he's pretty good.

Phoenixx

My amiibo coins arrived today. I got 12 of my favorite villagers for ACNH. I already have 4 of them on my island from finding them on other islands out of luck, but at least this way I can have them if I ever restart. Can't wait to scan in the others. :)

Phoenixx

Been thinking of picking up Pokemon Shield again, with the new DLC coming out in a couple weeks. After seeing the trailer, I have to admit I am really disappointed in The Isle of Armor. It doesn't seem like it's worth it, honestly. I'm not too impressed with the story and I really could care less about having all the G-max stuff, including anything having to do with the starters. (This was the first gen for me where I actually hated all 3 final evolutions for the starters.) And I don't mean to be one of *those* people complaining about graphics, because normally I don't care too much, but my god. The textures of the wild areas are still really bad and hard to look at. You'd think they would've came out with a patch or fixed it by now.

Graphics aside, The Crown Tundra however looks pretty promising. I'll probably end up getting that one. :)

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Been thinking of picking up Pokemon Shield again, with the new DLC coming out in a couple weeks. After seeing the trailer, I have to admit I am really disappointed in The Isle of Armor. It doesn't seem like it's worth it, honestly. I'm not too impressed with the story and I really could care less about having all the G-max stuff, including anything having to do with the starters. (This was the first gen for me where I actually hated all 3 final evolutions for the starters.) And I don't mean to be one of *those* people complaining about graphics, because normally I don't care too much, but my god. The textures of the wild areas are still really bad and hard to look at. You'd think they would've came out with a patch or fixed it by now.

Graphics aside, The Crown Tundra however looks pretty promising. I'll probably end up getting that one. :)

I picked up Pokemon Sword over Memorial Day (along with a few others) and and am pleasantly surprised with how much I am enjoying the game. A lot has changed since Pokemon Sapphire though, that's for sure. I've also discovered the easiest way to overlook the graphics is to have not played a Pokemon game since Sapphire :p

Phoenixx

I picked up Pokemon Sword over Memorial Day (along with a few others) and and am pleasantly surprised with how much I am enjoying the game. A lot has changed since Pokemon Sapphire though, that's for sure. I've also discovered the easiest way to overlook the graphics is to have not played a Pokemon game since Sapphire :p
Oh nice! Yeah don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it too, but I was expecting a little bit more out of it. The whole G-Max and Dynamax plot/storyline really didn't do much for me. I would've much rather had Mega Evolutions back, honestly. Besides that, graphics, final starter evos, and the fact that Hop is one of the most annoying "rivals" to battle against, I did really enjoy Shield. A few things they did get right are that the battle styles are pretty awesome, the wild area and Galar as a whole is really fun to explore, the actual gym leader battles were more challenging than previous gen, I found a lot of the characters to be more likable than previous gens, and cooking curry and the camping is really neat. Oh, and no more wasting move spaces for HMs!

Believe me, even with my griping over what could've been, I still like it much better than some previous gens. Here's looking at you S/M and that so-called "sequel" that might as well been a DLC. :rolleyes:

Phoenixx

Taking a break from ACNH and Pokemon, I've been in the mood for a good fantasy RPG. Something where you can control multiple members of a party. I downloaded the Trials of Mana demo to try out, to see if I'd like it better than Dragon Quest XI and unfortunately I still feel the same. To my disappointment, it's pretty much the same game, different story. Simple plots and storylines, shallow dialogue, meh.

I have been looking at either Xenoblade Chronicles or Fire Emblem. Not really sure which would peak my interest more after a while. Although there is Octopath Traveler that I could invest in too. I played the demo ages ago and I really enjoyed it.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Taking a break from ACNH and Pokemon, I've been in the mood for a good fantasy RPG. Something where you can control multiple members of a party. I downloaded the Trials of Mana demo to try out, to see if I'd like it better than Dragon Quest XI and unfortunately I still feel the same. To my disappointment, it's pretty much the same game, different story. Simple plots and storylines, shallow dialogue, meh.

I have been looking at either Xenoblade Chronicles or Fire Emblem. Not really sure which would peak my interest more after a while. Although there is Octopath Traveler that I could invest in too. I played the demo ages ago and I really enjoyed it.

I played through Octopath Traveler after playing the Demo a while ago, and loved it. If you like the Demo, you'll love the full game! Or at least that was the case in my experience. I also picked up Fire Emblem over Memorial Day weekend, and just played for a couple hours to make sure it worked (last time I bought it preowned from gamestop it kept crashing :rolleyes:). From what I saw from the little I played is that it seems like it's very story driven, as I feel like I watched more cut scenes than there was actual game play. It could also be the case that now that the table has been set, so to speak, that it will dive deeper into actual game play. My opinion of FE is probably less valuable. Octopath is awesome though, that I can say unequivocally :p

Phoenixx

I played through Octopath Traveler after playing the Demo a while ago, and loved it. If you like the Demo, you'll love the full game! Or at least that was the case in my experience. I also picked up Fire Emblem over Memorial Day weekend, and just played for a couple hours to make sure it worked (last time I bought it preowned from gamestop it kept crashing :rolleyes:). From what I saw from the little I played is that it seems like it's very story driven, as I feel like I watched more cut scenes than there was actual game play. It could also be the case that now that the table has been set, so to speak, that it will dive deeper into actual game play. My opinion of FE is probably less valuable. Octopath is awesome though, that I can say unequivocally :p
I was scrolling through the eshop and saw that there's currently an awesome Nintendo sale going on (great timing!) with a lot of games 30 - 50% off or more, so I definitely want to take advantage and get something on there. I also downloaded a bunch of demos to try out, see if there's anything new I'd like. I'm currently going through the demo for Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel. I know literally nothing about this franchise, but seems pretty neat. The battle system style took some getting used to, but I liked it. I like having multiple systems to figure out, it brings a challenge that I enjoy. I'm already almost 2 hours in and the demo isn't done with yet, so that's a plus. I like longer demos as it gives you a better feel for the game, imo.

If Octopath Traveler is on sale, I might consider getting it. It's one of the best turn-based JRPGs I've ever played, and I find its style is very similar to Golden Sun way back on the GBA. I freaking LOVED (I feel like even all caps isn't justified) that game, it's what really got me into turn-based fantasy JRPGs. As for Fire Emblem, I heard Three Houses was really good. I did watch some gameplay back when it first released, seemed pretty neat and I like the tactical-style of play as well. I wish there was a demo to try out. I didn't see one on the eshop.

Phoenixx

In other gaming news, the PS5 was revealed today.

I really like the design of the controller, not so much the console itself. It reminds me of something out of Star Wars lol. I'm not hating it, but I'm not loving it either. But I'm keeping an open mind about it, because it really comes down to performance and game library, not looks.

I haven't had a chance to watch the whole reveal event, but I'm intrigued what games are coming out. I haven't owned a PlayStation since 2, so I think my next new console will be a PS5. I don't like to situate to just one console for life, like a lot of gamers seem to. I like to try my hand at all of them. Ideally if I had the money, I'd always have each new console, but sadly I definitely don't have that kind of money or time. So I really just like to try out one console every generation and build a library from there. I got lucky this time and I've had my Switch and my Xbox One, although both libraries are both quite small.

Phoenixx

Well, out of all the demos I downloaded only 2 really captured my attention. I was looking for a turn-based RPG, and instead I might end up settling on Dragon Quest Builders 2 for my next Switch game. I'm not done with the demo yet, but I'm already hooked. :D

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I was doing some random Poke hunting today on Shield while trying to hatch an egg and found myself a shiny Skwovet. :D

Finding shinys are the best. I was surprised, I found a shiny Purrloin before I even beat the first gym. I'd never caught a shiny pokemon before, so it was pretty cool. :D

Also

*Cries a little*

Phoenixx

Finding shinys are the best. I was surprised, I found a shiny Purrloin before I even beat the first gym. I'd never caught a shiny pokemon before, so it was pretty cool. :D
That's cool! The first shiny I ever caught (not counting the red Gyarados in Gen 2) was back on Sapphire on the GBA, it was a shiny Shuppet. I'm pretty sure I still have that game save too. :)