Game Of Thrones Thread **SPOILERS AHEAD**

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Not that you asked me in specific, but the Night King's death fucking sucked.

The whole season was a letdown imo. All of the deaths were anti-climactic.

...they made Bran king.

I think some petition got a million signatures to remake season 8 iirc. Lol.

There's no way GRRM would have written this steaming pile of shit conclusion.
not a million... 200k.
I guess the writer wrote it the way he wanted it to. And I loved it :cool::LOL:

LoyalXenite

Not that you asked me in specific, but the Night King's death fucking sucked.

The whole season was a letdown imo. All of the deaths were anti-climactic.

...they made Bran king.

I think some petition got a million signatures to remake season 8 iirc. Lol.

There's no way GRRM would have written this steaming pile of shit conclusion.

The main events -i.e who kills the night king, and who becomes king are what GRRM told them so it is what he would have written, just a rushed and less nuanced version of it.

Personally I think the petition was/is quite insulting to the cast and crew who worked their asses off this season.

PugofCrydee

The main events -i.e who kills the night king, and who becomes king are what GRRM told them so it is what he would have written, just a rushed and less nuanced version of it.

Personally I think the petition was/is quite insulting to the cast and crew who worked their asses off this season.

Miserum

Perhaps the rushed and less nuanced path was what made it so unappealing. :unsure:

Some people just become so immersed in these things that when any disappointment arises, they can't handle it. Personally, I wasn't satisfied with season 8, but it didn't ruin my life. I have already moved on.

PugofCrydee

Some people just become so immersed in these things that when any disappointment arises, they can't handle it.

And some people simply really enjoy how it all ended up. Just because someone liked the ending episodes when others didn't, it in no way means they can't handle disappointment.

Miserum

And some people simply really enjoy how it all ended up. Just because someone liked the ending episodes when others didn't, it in no way means they can't handle disappointment.
Oh yeah, not everyone that is immersed in the realm of GoT will react the same way in response to what they perceive to be a good or bad ending.
But there are certainly people that will react very negatively to changes they don't like, and these are more than likely the people that are obsessed with GoT. Why else would they be so angry? That's why a million people signed a petition to have GoT S8 remade.

There are countless examples of people getting pissed the fuck off when a beloved product of theirs is somehow changed or modified, because they loved the way it was before it was modified. GoT is just one example of this. The characters and plot these fans fell in love with for years reached conclusions they didn't feel were justified, and they reacted accordingly.

PugofCrydee

Oh yeah, not everyone that is immersed in the realm of GoT will react the same way in response to what they perceive to be a good or bad ending.
But there are certainly people that will react very negatively to changes they don't like, and these are more than likely the people that are obsessed with GoT. Why else would they be so angry? That's why a million people signed a petition to have GoT S8 remade.

There are countless examples of people getting pissed the fuck off when a beloved product of theirs is somehow changed or modified, because they loved the way it was before it was modified. GoT is just one example of this. The characters and plot these fans fell in love with for years reached conclusions they didn't feel were justified, and they reacted accordingly.
Yea I don't feel those people reacted accordingly.

They aren't the owner of the story. They aren't the writer. It's not their show. They simply watch it. Of course they are entitled to their opinion on it. But these days it seems everyone feel like their opinions matter. Well for the most part, they don't. Opinions are just that - opinions.
I think it reflects poorly on society today when people just can't cope with the ending of a TV show. I think it says more about the people that signed the petition than the tv show itself.

Anyways, that's... just my opinion.

Miserum

Yea I don't feel those people reacted accordingly.

They aren't the owner of the story. They aren't the writer. It's not their show. They simply watch it. Of course they are entitled to their opinion on it. But these days it seems everyone feel like their opinions matter. Well for the most part, they don't. Opinions are just that - opinions.
I think it reflects poorly on society today when people just can't cope with the ending of a TV show. I think it says more about the people that signed the petition than the tv show itself.

Anyways, that's... just my opinion.

I agree to a certain extent. I don't know what GRRM's intentions as a writer were when he wrote A Song of Ice and Fire, nor D&D's intentions as creators of the tv show. One side of me feels that they are artists and create out of love for the sake of art. The other side tells me that, inherent in that creative act of storytelling--and in fact, inherent in human life--is the want and need to please people--the audience. My guess is that these authors incorporated both instincts.

Why do we create stories? There are a number of reasons: parables to pass down lessons, to make commentary on contemporary problems, to illustrate history, to pass on tradition, and for pure entertainment. Only the good stories last. And whether or not a story is "good" seems to depend on what the audience thinks. Granted, some great stories are branded "terrible" due to political climates at the time of their writing, but I don't think that is the case here. People didn't like S8 because it touched upon some sensitive political subject; rather, the dislike was due to (as expressed by the people that didn't like it) rushed writing, poor execution, and poor ideas in plot and character development.

Maybe the audience is entitled in complaining, if the work is meant solely for the purpose of producing art for the artist's own satisfaction, but I highly doubt that to be the case with these authors (and especially HBO--which I think has some say in the production of GoT... right?).

If the authors' goals--and perhaps "responsibility" is the better word... I mean, isn't the audience in fact, paying to watch GoT?--are to write compelling storytelling, that is, compelling storytelling for their AUDIENCE, as well as to fulfill their own satisfaction as artists, then the audience should be able to have their say, and the artists should probably listen, since the audience is part and parcel with the act of that storytelling. You cannot tell a good story if there is no one to listen.

What it comes down to, I think, is that the audience had expectations, expectations that had been built up over years. If it's a storyteller's responsibility to tell a good story, especially when expectations have been built over years for a paying audience (again, that audience being part and parcel of the storytelling process), and the artist completely shits on those expectations... well, the audience might just be reasonably upset if they have invested their time, money, and emotion into that story.

Last edited:

Cyrax

Season 8 was one of the worst seasons of any show I've ever seen. The finale was worse than Dexter's imo. Rushed and uninspired writing mixed with so so so many logical inconsistencies, it hurts to just think about them. I'm still upset about it weeks later. Lol.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
Season 8 was one of the worst seasons of any show I've ever seen. The finale was worse than Dexter's imo. Rushed and uninspired writing mixed with so so so many logical inconsistencies, it hurts to just think about them. I'm still upset about it weeks later. Lol.

Don't remind me of Dexter. :(

:D

LoyalXenite

62593874_1010318422487762_1210785838049263616_n.jpg

PugofCrydee

I met a guy who's never seen GOT.

Yet he was hating on the show big time. I was like, 'WTF man?'

Firstly, if someone's never seen the show, how could they have a VALID opinion on it? It's like saying 'I'm telling you what the taste of chocolate is like - even though I've never tried it!'.... I mean, get the FK outta here man..
Secondly, I don't get why someone would hate on a tv show, ESPECIALLY when they've never seen it. If you don't like it, thats cool. No problem.
But why go around stomping on something people get enjoyment out of?

Made me want to stomp on the asswipe's face..