First job?

Social_Monstrosity

I am 20 and have never had a job. My mother is struggling to pay bills and I feel like **** not being able to help her. My anxiety is binding me down but I feel the need to contribute and actually feel like a working component to my family. What kind of job would take somebody with zero experience at the age of 20? I'm going to guess fast food is really my only option...:(

I'm not good at anything.

Maybe that's just what you think. Try teaching English at least once, for example, if you don't try it, you'll never find out if you can do it. Whatever you decide to do, don't become a loser working at McDonald's or something, it's better to be a lazy guy than a loser.

MrJones

Maybe that's just what you think. Try teaching English at least once, for example, if you don't try it, you'll never find out if you can do it. Whatever you decide to do, don't become a loser working at McDonald's or something, it's better to be a lazy guy than a loser.
People working at McDonalds are not necessarily losers

This is a really narrow minded view of the world. Why does working at McDonalds make you a "loser"?

MrJones

When you need money and the only thing you can do is working in something you don't like, you have to do it anyway.
BUT, if you can do something "better", something you like, something that makes you happy, do it, of course.

Anyway you have to look what are the available jobs and then choose what fits the best.

Feathers

Hamelech, I've done some teaching and it can be very stressful, depends where you teach too.. Some people do great at it, some may do better in other jobs... Usually you do need some sort of certificate or education, unless you do it informally, eg tutoring or giving guitar lessons or such.

Some people think 'teachers' are 'losers' too because in comparison to some 'hot shot biz' people, they don't earn such huge amounts of money.

I don't like junk food or McDonalds, as they contribute to health problems in the society and to environmental problems too, but every job/work is honorable, especially if you need to contribute to family income!!

My Grandma was a cleaning lady (which is really NOT respected where I live) and she was an awesome lovely old lady!! Some people like cleaning jobs as they can do it in relative privacy/alone time too... (you don't need education for this either)

SM, I think the first step is to look around, what is locally available, and start sending applications... You can always 'upgrade' to a different and better job, it's good that you have some money and some experience under your belt.

It is also good to look into any courses that would enable you to get better jobs.

Even if it doesn't help you to get over social anxiety directly, a job/income is still a good thing and you can work on your sa in other ways... You can also meet people there and maybe become friends with them... People will also respect you better if you have a job/income, and family members will be proud of you and happy you're doing something...

Also check if there might be any factories or such, most of these have been outsourced to China and elsewhere though...

I know someone who worked for McDonalds for a while, then in the army, and then graduated with a BA and MA even!! First job is just a first job, doesn't need to define you in any way and doesn't need to be the same for the rest of your life!! It's just 'work experience' in a way!!

Newtype

There's no such thing as a job for losers and I think that working at McDonald's is better than being lazy.

ANNomaly

My friend's in a similar situation. Beggars can't be choosers, though. Here's hoping you find a job soon!

Hamelech, I've done some teaching and it can be very stressful, depends where you teach too.. Some people do great at it, some may do better in other jobs... Usually you do need some sort of certificate or education, unless you do it informally, eg tutoring or giving guitar lessons or such.

Some people think 'teachers' are 'losers' too because in comparison to some 'hot shot biz' people, they don't earn such huge amounts of money.

Of course is not like being doctor of something, but it's very rewarding and constructive, and the best way to learn is to teach. I've learned many things from my students. It's a stressful job? Yeah, but what job isn't? Working is always stressful, at least a little, even in a relaxing atmosphere. I've always done this informally and at the beginning the only problem I had was my own shyness, which has decreased by the passing of time, but it had helped me a lot, not only to earn money, but to face my introversion and my social anxiety. It's a nice choice to star up working when one is extremely shy, indeed.

I'm currently preparing myself to become a professional Spanish teacher.

Feathers

Hamelech,

So you've only done teaching informally so far, and with individuals or small groups? Just want to clarify. It's a totally different experience from 'organized education' like in schools or secondary schools, where students may be 'forced' to learn something, and within a maybe not optimal 'system' - if someone wants to learn, that's much more easy and rewarding, at least in my opinion/experience... And Spanish is quite popular, due to all the telenovelas :)
It also depends what you teach and the education system... I enjoyed some informal teaching (and even some classes in schools were nice, some were really stressful) I honestly liked some other jobs in many ways better, like office jobs or such...

Also, it may be different across the world, what jobs are available at all, and what education/certificates might be required... True, 'native speakers' can go to China or Korea or elsewhere and teach with relatively little or no experience, I also know someone who had a bad experience with this and went home prematurely... For anyone considering this, ESL or EFL forums can provide a lot of info...

A friend of mine does tutoring for primary school kids even though she had bad/medium grades in high school, she's very effective with unruly kids cause she can get better 'discipline' and explain it in a simple enough way so they understand. (She doesn't really have that much sa though and has worked as a waitress before, where she learnt 'the look' to discipline them! :)) It's something that people can consider, yeah... even without higher education than 'secondary school'...

Not everyone is for everything, so one can try out different things to see what might be a good fit for personality and other factors... You can even have a combination of a few part-time jobs or such...

JonnyD

i got my first job, by looking for it... one day i just opened the phonebook and started calling each and every company i could work for and asking how could i enroll to get a job there, it was not easy to me, but you know what, i did it even awkwardly and almost dying of fear i did it and thats what matters.

ok the economy is bad, but it cant keep you from trying...

i have a small rant:

what is the problem with americans and the loser-winner thing,
even when the country is fkd up people don't step down the podium, seriously?

there are no loser or winners in live, when you care only about winning is because you already lost.

for me you only "win" life if you're happy, and if your happines is based on how much you make a month, you're never gonna be happy....

here in brazil we have a saying: "work dignifies the man" or something like that, no matter if you're an executive or the trash collecting worker, you're working hard and supporting yourself, the people you care, and society...

there are plenty of jobs much worst then fast food, i don't know why you people think its that bad... i know people who work in quarryes, lifting stones, producing dog and cat food from pork bowels, do you think making furniture is much better then fast food, well i have a uncle who lost 2,5 fingers...

mikebird

Banned
I loved my 1st job.

In all the last 15 years I never have any fun doing anything as good as that.

I was out on the road, on a moped, age 21, delivering Domino's Pizza, with no boss watching me. All summers, all having cold beers together after a shift, and even fun in winter, having the wrap up of coat & gloves taken off every few minutes, to use my fingers.

If only I'd stuck doing that, I'd be really happy now.