Fear of doctors...Anyone?

ChrystaR

That's so annoying! I've had to find information elsewhere because doctors aren't helpful. My sister had cancer a few years back and she went to the ER because she felt really bad and the nurse that saw her first said 'that her body has just reached it's weight capacity'. (My sister is pretty heavy.) Turns out she had a tumor and six liters! of fluid inside her. If she would have left with that answer only, she'd be dead now.

Have you seen Mystery Diagnosis? Doctors should be ashamed to watch that because usually the person was ignored or treated badly by numerous doctors before they find help. I know they are human and make mistakes, but so many don't seem to care about the people that come to them for help.

I go to a psychiatrist for my SA. Sometimes I don't, to try and cut down on doctors visits. I mainly went to the GP for my fatigue.

I've been going to doctors for four years trying to figure why I feel so bad all the time. I've gotten very little help. ::(:

Invisibleman

Yes I hate the doctor.Im always scared that they will find something wrong with me or if there is something wrong with me they wont find it.

When I boxed I had to get a yearly checkup and prefight medicals and ive heard so many horror stories of things that doctors have completely missed.Everything from tumors to lethal infections.

One guy at my gym felt a pain in his stomach (it was a tumor)and he went to the doctor and they said he was fine. He died a week later. Ever since then im terrified of doctors,im scared they just dont care even if they find something wrong.

JP81

My biggest fear with doctors is that I won't be able to express what is wrong with me or they won't be able to understand. I've been to the GP with multiple problems and because I'm not good with talking to people I don't end up telling them everything, then I feel ****ty because it isn't cheap seeing a GP, not to mention a waste of time. I think next time I go I'll write some notes beforehand to let them know what's bothering me.

nicole1

More of a disappointment and fear of what they may think of me. The fear is normal b/c I have that with most people.

Agent_Violet

:( so sad to see people afraid of docs...i can't afford to be afraid of them...i married one.

i'm not afraid of going to the doctor as much as I get nervous and panicky about explaining symptoms and having them believe me. Most docs today are so programmed to think everyone that walks through their door is a drug seeker or deadbeat...

MrJones

I'm afraid of going to the doctors, though not because of them but for doing something out of routine (and outside my precious home :p)

B

Beatrice

:( so sad to see people afraid of docs...i can't afford to be afraid of them...i married one.

:eek: LUCKY! haha. I kid. But seriously, that's always been a secret, err, sort of fantasy of mine, wanting to marry a doctor :D Though, I probably won't be getting married, but having a doctor for a... umm, partner, is OKAY by me! ;)

Dentists scare me.

Yes, very much this. Well, it's not so much the dentist or the checkup, more the consequence of the checkup. They ALWAYS want me to make another appointment so that they can fix something in there. I appreciate the expertise they put into it, but to me it's mostly annoying.

Luka

Definitely. Doctors and dentists scare the crap out of me. I'm a hypochondriac, so I tend to assume the worst. If I go in for a regular check-up or something simple, I panic. It's just an automatic response, I guess. I've been this way since I was a small child.

The ironic thing? I want to be a doctor. :/

Wow .Everything you just said sums me up. I'm a hypochondriac too and I also want to be a doctor!

Duzmiu

i hate the doctors and dont trust them at all, i fear hospitals aswell.

about a year ago i was having severe chest pains and trouble breathing so i rang my doctor and he said just lie down and take some paracetomol(think i spelt that wrong :/)
a couple of days later it came back but alot worse i couldnt breath at all and i ended up fainting, i woke up in hospital a few hours later, turns out my lung had collapsed, the doctor at the hospital said it was the worse he had ever seen and i was lucky to even keep my right lung.

ever since then i havent been to my doctor, even when i slit my thumb open and think i damaged some nerves because i cant feel anything in it now. i refused out right to go and when my mum asked him to come round i bolted the door and refused to let him in.

chibiXphantom

not afraid of doctors really. no fear of needles at all.
am afraid of dentists though, cause i always tend to have cavities and i hate getting fillings >_<

Gaucho

hello,

telling him my problems would be one of the most embarrassing things ever. imagining it makes me depressed.

WeirdyMcGee

It would be terribly inconvenient if I had a fear of doctors, considering I have to see them a few times every month or I would keel over and die.

I'm afraid of people generally; afraid of leaving my room... but afraid of doctors? not so much.
I suppose I'm too used to them.

Boby

Depends what kind of doctors,I'm not afraid of doctor's who treat physical stuff(maybe because I haven't had any serious health problem)but I'm scared of psychologist:).

MrSunday

If a doctor were to inspect my hoo haa, then I would be very frightened....possibly arousing too.

MrJones

I don't like going to the doctors, which I have to do too often for my taste, but I don't fear them either. I guess the same happens with non-doctors, though ::p: