Fear of being judged for having unusual tastes in music.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
I was ashamed of what music i listened too. Not that my taste is that unusual, but i was afraid to tell people what i listen to. It's better now, but still i don't like to get the question what music i like.

Maybe it's because i feel like it says something about me. Like a painting tells something about the artist. I have this with clothes too kinda. I'm a pain in the *** to go shopping with xD

I'm exactly the same when it comes to telling people what I listen to. Mainly cuz I think it malkes me seem "weird" - as one of my relatives said of my music tastes many years ago.

onehandclapping

I rarely post music anymore on forums for this exact reason. I signed up to a new forum the other week and today after posting what I was listening to I was told I should listen to something better and that the musician I was listening to was a loser.
I feel most places I have been online where I have shared music I have felt hostility in the form of people being overly judgmental towards me after I had been sharing what I am listening to, because of this I rarely bother anymore and try to distance myself away from those I think will be judgmental.

LoyalXenite

Definitely, but thats also because my ex gave me a lot of crap over my taste in music.. I've always had slightly odd tastes in music and a very eclectic collection of songs, but after dealing with her crap I developed a real complex about it

MollyBeGood

I'm exactly the same when it comes to telling people what I listen to. Mainly cuz I think it malkes me seem "weird" - as one of my relatives said of my music tastes many years ago.

The "weirder" the music the better.

Anyone who says that is a tool anyways. tell them to STFU :perfect:

Graeme1988

The "weirder" the music the better.

:thumbup: Agreed! But that's not to say I hate music outside of the stuff I got into during my teens. I still love some of the music that was in the charts when I was a kid back in the 90s.

Anyone who says that is a tool anyways. tell them to STFU :perfect:

Did that once, ma older sister didn't take to kindly to it. :giggle: Though anytime she'd slang my taste in music, I'd just laugh and go:
"Is it now? Well, I could say about the music you like... Still listening to Beyoncé, eh?"​

I've never been one for worry about what my taste in music "says" about me, anyway. Ah like what ah like, end of. Don't care if that makes "cool", "pathetic" or whatever else ya want to say.

cappatown420

I don't think I listen to bad music, but I've NEVER listened to my own music around people. I'm too embarrassed to. So If someone is near, I just shut it off.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Revisiting old threads :cool:

I realized this morning (while vacuuming and listening to music on my headphones) that I still am wary of people overhearing some of the music I listen to. I realized a lot of the music I'm drawn to is.. sort of, more 'mood' music. Bit hard to explain, but I don't listen to the radio much because I'm not into most of the 'jingles' and stuff they bring out these days (apart from the odd song).
But if I come across a song that sets the mood or like it's from a movie, it'll appeal a lot more to me. But I always think people in general might not like it, or laugh behind my back etc.. some things never change huh?

Graeme1988

Revisiting old threads :cool:

I realized this morning (while vacuuming and listening to music on my headphones) that I still am wary of people overhearing some of the music I listen to. I realized a lot of the music I'm drawn to is.. sort of, more 'mood' music. Bit hard to explain, but I don't listen to the radio much because I'm not into most of the 'jingles' and stuff they bring out these days (apart from the odd song).
But if I come across a song that sets the mood or like it's from a movie, it'll appeal a lot more to me. But I always think people in general might not like it, or laugh behind my back etc.. some things never change huh?

I’m much the same... don’t listen to the radio much, except when my sister offers to get me outta the house and we go for drive somewhere, the radio’s usually on unless she’s listening to a CD. Though, it’s almost always tuned to the local radio station, which mostly plays songs from the 80s and 90s. :LOL: That’s probably why I love music from those decades, besides just the rock and metal music from those eras.

But I’ve always been extremely wary of people overhearing the music ah listen to. Mainly because I’ve always gotten the “Urgh ! You actually like that...?!”, usually said in a dismissive tone. It’s either that or the shocked: “I didn’t know you like that type of music ! Since when...?!” response. As if it’s weird that I’d have appreciation for music that’s outside the genres that I listen to most.

Last edited:

FriendlyShadow

But I’ve always been extremely wary of people overhearing the music ah listen to. Mainly because I’ve always gotten the “Urgh ! You actually like that...?!”, usually said in a dismissive tone. It’s either that or the shocked: “I didn’t know you like that type of music ! Since when...?!” response. As if it’s weird that I’d have appreciation for music that’s outside the genres that I listen to most.

I get the same remarks too from some people. I once brought in my audio cd to group therapy, played it on the portable CD player, and halfway through the first song someone asked me to turn the volume down. It wasn't even that loud. The people in group were also talking to each other so their voices pretty much droned out the music. I also tend to think too that a lot of people only like listening to music that's familiar to them (Beatles, Led Zeppelin, ect) which makes sense.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
In the end, I have learned: so what if people don't like the music I like?
Why do we listen to music in the first place?

It would be a pretty drab world if we all liked the same thing.If that was the case, we as a species would resemble more a bee hive than anything else.