Fear of being alone

bitingthepea

Hi, i just wondered if anyone else has a fear of being alone.
I'm fine if i have people with me but if im alone in the house ill start thinking that something bad is gona happen to me or i'll think my eyes are going funny. Same if im out walking ill think im going get dizzy but if im with a friend i dont experience it :(
Neeed to overcome this its getting worse
Any advice or stories wud be great

leave_me_alone

Hmm, I cannot relate to this. Sounds like the opposite of social anxiety. I prefer being alone and I feel uncofmortable when I am around people.

Agent_Violet

i get that way if i'm alone at night and lying in bed. Having a dog fixed the issue for me bc I know she'll scare away bad stuff with her vicious bark:)

It's odd though bc I was fine being alone if i was doing things like reading,watching tv,etc...but the minute i turned everything off and got in bed, i would panic.

I just got lucky that having a dog helped the issue.

bitingthepea

I agree having a dog can help definitely and yes i have social phobia too but also hate being alone. It is a weird one! I think its more that i'm phobic in groups as i can't talk but one to one i seem to be okay.

Valhalla

I don't think it's weird, you want people you're comfortable with and know around you. Since you're no social person you're holding on to the ones that you have. A fear of loosing something you think you might not have again, maybe?

bitingthepea

I don't think it's weird, you want people you're comfortable with and know around you. Since you're no social person you're holding on to the ones that you have. A fear of loosing something you think you might not have again, maybe?

Glad u understand lol. Um not sure about the fear of loosing, i think it's since my panic attacks it was so scary the first time i called an ambulance! lol
So now im scared incase i get instantly ill or something that no one will be there to scoop me up or call for help. Touch of paranoyer i think or hypochondria

Ashiene

I think most of us hate to be alone but we choose (or involuntarily forced) to be alone because of our anxiety around others.

chibiXphantom

i like being alone, but i also fear it. just out of paranoia that one day some psycho is gonna show up at my house when im home alone >_<
i like the comfort of one person at least, like my boyfriend

and i just put the tv on when im home
if im out, i make sure i have at least one object that could be used in self defense, like a pointy ink pen, or something lol (probably wouldnt work, but it atleast makes me feel better)

Last edited:

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I can relate. When my mother has to go somewhere and I can't go with her, I feel like everything I fear is going to happen and I'll have no one to turn to.

mikebird

Banned
Life

support required

1st year in uni hall was very special, having a standard room in a set of apartments, after living with parents. Suited me. People around the corridors, and food restaurant

NOW I'm thinking of THAT, NOW... why didn't I see that coming??

2nd year, the word was to find buddies to join in a group house. That scared me! It was the urgency on everyone's tongue. Lucky to find one bloke to find a house in the suburbs, replacing 2 leavers. Two girls in there.

Anyway. Soon my next year, before finishing the second, was in jail. That was the best year, having something in common to laugh about. So lucky to emerge, being a kind of celebrity around students, I was amazed to secure a home with other old mates - possibly life's peak of friends.

A good half decade with a trustworthy partner, found out of the blue, finishing uni and grouping with so many, changing home regularly, with a great job.

Now alone. It's all gone. ::(:

Cat please ::eek::

psych

I have the same fear, but in a totally different way...

I've had younger people make crazy cat lady jokes at me...( I only have one cat) :rolleyes: Warn me that without a man & kids I'm going to wind up all alone.

I get a pang of pain when people make those kind of comments to me. Because I've been married, & I've lived with men...

But, I feel better being on my own... Not possibly at the mercy of somebody else's messed up mind. I don't want any drama, or struggles anymore. I'm done with that.

Sometimes, usually late at night, I don't feel to sure about that... Maybe I should try again...

Then, I also worry about dying alone.
There's a side to me that always perks up when I start thinking like that... Must be pride, because I get kinda defensive at the thought... Like, f*ck everyone, I can handle it... ::p:

Is fear like that for some? For me, it comes in waves.

I used to fear grocery shopping alone, but lately have been getting better with it.
I remember a time, back in my 20's when I damned near allowed myself to starve, my anxiety was that bad...

MikeyC

i like being alone, but i also fear it. just out of paranoia that one day some psycho is gonna show up at my house when im home alone >_<
i like the comfort of one person at least, like my boyfriend
Yeah, I know a few people, especially females, who don't like being alone for this reason.

I get a pang of pain when people make those kind of comments to me. Because I've been married, & I've lived with men...

But, I feel better being on my own... Not possibly at the mercy of somebody else's messed up mind. I don't want any drama, or struggles anymore. I'm done with that.
Then you should not worry about what others are saying. As long as you're staying true to yourself, that's all that should matter. :)

I like being by myself more than most other people I know do, but I fear losing people I really care about. I love them a lot and fear abandonment.