Fear of airport security

Anyone else have a fear of airport security? I have to fly in two weeks and I'm totally ok with the actual flying itself, in fact I really enjoy it, I'm just completely TERRIFIED of being in the airport and going through security...the last time I flew I was 'randomly selected' for a hardcore pat-down in Amsterdam and nearly had a panic attack...and of course looking nervous and afraid only makes them more suspicious! Everyone is always so mean and pushy...I don't know how I'm going to make it through this without freaking out...

LockieKermit

are you flying with anyone els? If so they can help you through it. I went to England with my mum and dad and my mum was taking valium because she was petrorfied of flying. If she can do it you can!

Kat

It maybe just a coincidence but they tend to check females more for that kind of thing. My nan, mum, sis and me have all been pulled aside and checked for explosives. :eek:

Noca

Banned
Airport security never said one word to me when I lugged an entire suitcase full of my meds around lol. As long as the metal detector doesnt go off, they dont seem to care here.

206Raider

No, they did randomly check my bags though twice and left a notice in my bag, it says my bag was suspicious and the rain ruined some book I had in there becuase it's like they opened it and left it out in the rain.

Iseesky

I don't have a fear of airport security, but I do have a terrible fear of border crossing security! I live in Canada, but the American border is only 30 minutes or so away. My mom and I frequently go down to shop and explore, and everytime we pull up to the window my heart starts beating like crazy!

It's weird. It's not like we're guilty of anything! I think for me it's the fear of 'what if they suspect me of something because they can see that I'm nervous and scared?' I have no cure, but your best bet would just be to talk yourself through it. The worst they could do is suspect that you're up to no good. Even that is a stretch as I'm sure they can't tell how nervous you really are! They may pat you down as they did, but they won't find anything. You'll prove them wrong and go on your way! Countless times I've gone through the border. Each time I've been nervous. Never have they pulled my mom and I aside to check our vehicle. Even if they did they wouldn't find anything. Nothing to worry about! Just an irrational fear!

Badbuz

I have no problem with airport security even tho it can be annoyin waiten and i do be nervious at least i know there not goin to find anything and il be happy to wait that bit longer for my flight knowin that every1 has been checked and my flight will be that much safer.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Seraphina, that actually does make me feel a little bit better! lol I'm sorry your husband had to go through that though, it must have been awful.

I think my problem started when I was in Paris and the airport security and all of the people in line around me treated me like I was an idiot because I couldn't understand what the security guy was saying to me (I'm far from fluent in French). It's not very much fun having a crowd of people blatantly make fun of you in a foreign language just because you couldn't understand "Do you have any liquids in your carry on?" in French...I just have to try to get over it....so I guess really my fear is of foreign speaking airport security! lol :rolleyes:

i had to get searched when i went to Florida at the end of august of 09. Was not a pleasant experience AT ALL. They picked me randomly. It was extremely uncomfortable but i lived.

recluse

I know! This is the worst part of flying for me. The only thing you can do is tell yourself in your mind ''I have nothing to hide so i have nothing to be afraid of!''....Also i think how vital security are in airports and they are there to protect us.