FEAR by Nelson Mandela

SilentBird

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate,
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond all measure.

It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?

Actually, who are you NOT TO BE?

Your playing small does not serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking
so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

We were born to make manifest the glory that is within us.
It is not just in some of us, it is in every one of us.
And as we let our lights shine,
we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.

As we are liberated from our own fear,
our presence automatically liberates others...​

JamesSmith

I'm sorry, I have a really hard time believing people are afraid of being successful. The most popular fear socially is failure. Then maybe embarrassment.

The message is a little bit preachy, but a terrific one non the less.

Personally I don't consider the human race to be powerful in any way, shape or form. More a being that exists as a part of nature, instead of just in it. Just a creature that is part of a system, within a huge hierarchy of other systems. But that's just me, and what do I know, right? ;)

But kept in the mind of getting by with our mortal means/mentality, the quote is quite great. If you're someone whom desires to be great(er), but are afraid for reason you can't explain, it can benefit you greatly to analyze the thought behind the initial words.

There's emotionally beneficial logic to be found here.

Last edited:

lunarla

Suuuuuch a good quote, and Nelson Mandela is a phenomenal person, having done so much greatness. But I do believe this quote was actually from a lady by the name of Marianne Williamson. It somehow got misconstrued to be of Nelson Mandela. That seems to be a fairly insignificant detail though, given that the words stand as their own, no matter who said it first.