Fallout 3

Bronson99

I just got the GotY Edition of Fallout 3 (PC version), on Steam. I've heard so many good things about this game over the years, I guess I have to cave in and play it, despite knowing it will probably take up too much of my time.

But apparently there are a lot of unofficial mods/fixes for it... does anyone have any suggestion as to setting up the game?

thanks

Megaten

I just started playing this too when I heard they might release a Fallout 4. I wish I hadnt have waited so long though as Im backlogged on too many games now. Dont remember downloading any fixes though.

I played Fallout 3 a few years back, around the time it came out. I didn't use any mods and I thought it was great. Honkhonk.

Last edited:
Somewhere there's a community addon patch or somesuch. Mostly just bugfixes. I would suggest playing through it with just that at first. I think the Steam forum for the game has a big FAQ that lists that stuff and where to find it.

SCP-087-1

I didn't use any mods. I cant remember experiencing any bugs either. I got the GOTY edition ages ago and played through it. It was a'ite

Spectre

If you have windows 7 or 8, you might have a lot of compatibility problems. I strongly encourage you to go to the steam guides section of the game, or the forum of the game in steam to get some patchs (for compatibility and bugs, not new content).

PD: It's a really nice game :thumbup:

dannyboy65

I play Fallout 3 on the PS3 but I do have Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim for Pc and on steam I didn't need to do any fixes it pretty much does on it's own. Enjoy the game it is by far one of my favorite games :)

Bronson99

If you have windows 7 or 8, you might have a lot of compatibility problems. I strongly encourage you to go to the steam guides section of the game, or the forum of the game in steam to get some patchs (for compatibility and bugs, not new content).

PD: It's a really nice game :thumbup:

Yeah, I have Windows 8.1. I think I have the Steam guide already. But it's annoying still to go through all that crap to get it to be what it should've been already.

And thanks everyone else for commenting.

Spectre

Yeah, I have Windows 8.1. I think I have the Steam guide already. But it's annoying still to go through all that crap to get it to be what it should've been already.

And thanks everyone else for commenting.

Yeah I totally agree, the problem with fallout 3 is that some time ago it used the crappy "Game For Windows live" DRM, and that is what generated most of the problems with the game in post-Vista modern systems.

In fact, neither FO: New Vegas or Skyrim have that kind of problems, they work perfectly for me in windows 8.1

EDIT: And well, all these games use the crappy gamebryo engine. I still wonder why bethesda used such a bad engine for their games, so buggy and orthopedic.

Metal_isthe_Answer

Use Mod Organizer to set your mods. The Nexus Mod Manager or something similar to that will install mods to the game core folders and can make dealing with them tedious, MO uses its own folder (called "ModOrganizer"), it keeps the mods separate from the core game and allows you to switch between profiles (if you use a lot of characters)
Off the top of my head I dont recall most of the mods Ive used, but some that I remember are: an Iron Sights mod, a mod that lets you add attachments to weapons (silencers/scopes etc), one that gets rid of the green tint, better lighting mods, and the unofficial Fallout patch.
You can go to Nexusmods.com/fallout3/? for all your modding needs.

Also make sure to get the script extender, disable Games For Windows Live, a patch for more memory (called something like 4gb patch) and Archive Invalidation.

Last edited:

Metal_isthe_Answer

I play Fallout 3 on the PS3 but I do have Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim for Pc and on steam I didn't need to do any fixes it pretty much does on it's own. Enjoy the game it is by far one of my favorite games :)

Skyrim on PC works fine as far as compatibility, Fallout 3 however has some issues with compatibility on newer operating systems like Windows 8. I dont really know why its like that, but thats the way it is.
What gets me is that Oblivion on Steam doesnt have controller support, wish I had noticed that before I got it (I havent even left my prison cell yet), I mean, wouldnt it seem logical to think that if Fallout 3 and Skyrim have it that Oblivion would too? Especially since they were all released on the Xbox?

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
hypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehype

giphy.gif

Bronson99

Use Mod Organizer to set your mods. The Nexus Mod Manager or something similar to that will install mods to the game core folders and can make dealing with them tedious, MO uses its own folder (called "ModOrganizer"), it keeps the mods separate from the core game and allows you to switch between profiles (if you use a lot of characters)
Off the top of my head I dont recall most of the mods Ive used, but some that I remember are: an Iron Sights mod, a mod that lets you add attachments to weapons (silencers/scopes etc), one that gets rid of the green tint, better lighting mods, and the unofficial Fallout patch.
You can go to Nexusmods.com/fallout3/? for all your modding needs.

Also make sure to get the script extender, disable Games For Windows Live, a patch for more memory (called something like 4gb patch) and Archive Invalidation.

If one is looking to keep the core game relatively unchanged and at the same time very accessible (no significant bugs, other simple tweaks and fixes).. then the disable GFWL and the unofficial Fallout patch are all I need, right?