Ever noticed signs of SA in someone else?

GreenEyedRedHead

Today I started thinking back and trying to remember if I've ever seen anyone else, in public or people I know, exhibit signs of having SA. I can only remember one person who I think had some form of it. My best friend's mom when I was a teenager never looked at me directly or said anything directly to me, even though I was at their house almost everyday. She had friends and actually had her own little store that she ran, which requires interacting with alot of people. I think maybe she had a mild form of it or something. I see myself doing this to my kid's friends that come over to our house. I'm usually busy anyway, but I just might say a quick "hi" and that's it. If they talk to me, I don't really make eye contact and try and not have a prolonged conversation with them. My daughter, who's 16, has told me a couple times that her friends think I don't like them. I feel guilty, and I'm working on this problem. Anyway, I've rarely ever seen anyone else blush noticeably. I've never seen anyone get nervous at the store checkout like I do. I've never know anyone who avoids social situations like I do. I've never seen anyone else have a panic attack. I know other people notice me doing these things, even though they probably don't know it's SA. They've commented on me blushing, and asked why I never go out with them and stuff like that. Have you ever come across anyone in real life with SA?

mrb

yep i spot them a mile away ... i was in a cafe taking a break from work , when this crowd of people came in , there was 1 young woman looking all paraniod , all her freinds were talking but she looked liked she didnt want to join in , so anyways they all sat at a table chatting away , she was the last to be served , when she got her food she sat away from her work mates on another table , her work mates looked at her looked at eachother and just shrugged , so there she sat alone looking paraniod , pretending to be doing something with her phone , my heart did go out to her , i nearly went up to her and said can i sit here and tried to talk to her , asking if she had sa , i was going to give her this sites details just in case she was interested in chatting to others in the same boat , but i didnt , i didnt want to freak the poor girl out , it was hard enough for her being there let alone some stranger coming over and saying can i sit here ... big sigh ..

Emily_G

I think one of my friends has some sort of social issues, but I can't seem to figure out what it is. She never calls me when she said she was going to, never. She backs out of things at the last minute all the time. IDK, both hubby and I think something is up...we just don't know what.

Iseesky

Yes, I know plenty of people. It's very common. Kids at my college, random people I see in the grocery store or mall and even family members.

this_portrait

I've noticed signs of it in quite a few other people as well. However, I don't want to jump to the conclusion that they really do have it, because they might not.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
I have a friend that has it, but I rarely see people out and about that I think have it.

Once in a big shopping-mall I saw a guy who looked SA, but he's honestly the only one I can remember.

I'm very reluctant to look at people when I'm out in public though; I pretend to be lost in concentration and distracted all the time, so I may not notice either way.

When I had therapy, there was always a woman sitting in the waiting room and she looked at me like she was really really scared. Her eyes were big and she was shaking so much, and she was all tensed.
Sometimes I wish I could have comforted her that I understand her, but i'm to afraid to approach her. But I was always afraid that I looked weird, but I didn't thought she looked weird while she was anxious so that makes me feel a bit more comfortable when I'm anxious. But I still think everybody sees it.
But maybe people don't really judge me on that, I hope ::(:

And my little causin, always was really anxious when we had a birthday party, he always was quiet and when someone talked to him he answered really shy.
He talks with that little voice.
But I think he really improved himself, he talks more now.

And this might seem weird, but I think 2 people from the same street where I live have mild SA. I think they don't know themselfes. But they have got symptoms of SA.
A always wanted to stay at her own house, maybe she didnt like my house ::(: and she doesnt have lots of friends. And i could see she was anxious sometimes.

Also J, has written on a website of her that she's really shy and she sometimes is so afraid that it stops her doing things. So that really looks like SA.
But i won't tell them, they dont have it so bad so..

Also my Mom and grandmother have SA/agoraphobia.
But they can live with it.

Also there was a boy at my clinic where i stayed for my SA, and he was always quiet.
He only says yes, or no or okay.
He never comes up with a story, i kind of really felt sorry for him ::(:
I saw him like 5 months and he never told anything in the group.
But he once said to me that i have a good voice, that was really sweet :)

Last edited:

Kat

My cousin had it, but it only seemed to be temporary, I am not sure if it’s the same because her parents were going through a divorce at the time so her reaction weren’t really irrational.

I have seen symptoms of it in certain people but you never know for sure, it would be interesting to meet someone in the flesh with it.

Lost Girl

I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier, but my little brother! He's only 14 and is very similar to me in personality and the way he acts around strangers as when I was his age. He is hugely popular at school, and confident around them, much like I was - (well I wasn't quite as popular), but I do believe that it is just a mask like I had. He is very awkwardly shy when not around his mates, to the point where he cannot look people in the eyes or even respond to a question or anything. He portrays over-confidence when around 'his people', but really, he has very little. I adore him and I hope he can somehow 'grow out of it', but I'll be there for him if he doesn't. I believe the best chance he has of it getting better is if he moves away from our father, who I believe is very much the cause!

powerfulthoughts

My girlfriend and her sisters clearly have symptoms of it. What kinda pisses me off is some of my family are acting like she is sort of a bitch when honestly she just has what I have! I guess that means other people probably think I'm an ******* then if my family thinks that of her. People with SA are so misunderstood it's crazy.

dead24

Sometimes when I notice maybe 1 or 2 people in class who seem to be quiet/shy or has some kind of little social anxiety makes feel better knowing that im not alone but in turns out that they're not. They are confident,not shy,not awkward and have friends making me realize that i really am alone.

da_illest101

A girl at my job, she always quiet, pretty much always talk to the same person and always turn her face when i look at her.

Fighter86

Sometimes when I notice maybe 1 or 2 people in class who seem to be quiet/shy or has some kind of little social anxiety makes feel better knowing that im not alone but in turns out that they're not. They are confident,not shy,not awkward and have friends making me realize that i really am alone.

That's true. Some people are quiet and appear shy even, but when you look at them closer, you would notice they actually are quite comfortable in social situations, eg: they could just be sitting there like listening in conversations and saying nothing, but they aren't like figidity or anything, and then as you get to know them better or observe them more, you realise they have a group of friends or are generally quite well liked.