Ever felt prone to violence?

Mehh

I bring this up in the wake of the Aurora, CO shootings and I think that this is an important issue. James Holmes, the theater shooter, was socially awkward and extremely introverted, probably having SP to some degree. The boys that committed the Columbine massacre were victims of bullying and the student responsible for the Virgina Tech shootings had was diagnosed with a severe anxiety disorder.

These killers, of course, were psychotic and had a lot more wrong with them besides being socially awkward, anxious, and victims of bullying. I am not accusing anyone of being psychopathic. But these were shy, awkward people that seemed normal from the outside and ended up having a lot more going on inside that they should have told someone about. They had issues similar to those that we have, and were brought to violence.

I put this post in the bullying forum because I think it's the bullying victims that feel most prone to violence, especially against past bullies. I know that many of us have been victims of bullying to some degree, which probably left a lot of psychological scarring. So please, if anyone in this site gets violent thoughts or urges, or wants to act out violently against a bully, you should share it with the site and we'll try to help you.

Lean_on_Me

When I was still in school and being teased I would often fight back physically. I wanted to hurt those that bullied me so badly. I can't help but feel sad for those shooters because they have been pushed to their breaking point. Not that I condone killing your classmates but I understand where they are coming from. But in the end they further ruined their lives by giving in.

Amitush123

A whole lot in the past, I have broken a lamp, door, microwave door...always towards objects and not people, thankfully...
Recently I have been feeling better, although I do feel this uncontrollable rage from time to time

laure15

It is very very rare for me to become physically violent towards others, but I usually do it in an indirect, passive aggressive way. For example, when a family member bullied me and made me feel angry, I did not have the strength to fight back physically. Instead, I secretly added bad-tasting ingredients to his orange juice drink. Or I use a screwdriver to poke tiny holes in his towel.

chibiXphantom

sometimes, though im not a violent person. if i get upset or mad i tend to break things though. just like pencils and stuff, so nothing that bad. i do sometimes feel like acting out violently when people upset me or irritate me, but i dont
i think i just bottle up emotions too much. then take out my feelings on myself.

in high school people were always teasing me saying that id end up snapping like those guys at those massacres just cause i was quiet and didnt talk to people.
hear a lot of "its always the quiet ones you have to worry about". but im not violent like that. i even feel bad when i kill spiders or ants and stuff.

Gaucho

when i was in school i didn't get bullied, sometimes i got teased/made fun fun of , but in some sort of way i can understand the sufferers.
I think the difference between people who go crazy, like psycho killers, is that they can't take the suffering, and their life got so influenced, guided and destroyed by these action of bullying and maltreatment, that they just needed vengeance, and that is the only thing that matters before they die.
but the other sufferers, who don't go crazy and don't commit crimes, just take the "beatings" and suffer. their brain, as nearly all brains, is not able to produce enough hate towards the persons that maltreated them.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I used to bully back, until the authorities at school threatened with expelling ME. If I have gotten expelled, my old brother would have beaten the living crap out of me (not that he didn't do it anyway, but he would have done it worse), so I had to bow my head and deal with the bullying after that. Later, the adults joined in, labeled me as troublesome and they would always nag at me for existing.

I pretty much gave up trying to defend myself at some point. I, for some reason, reached my breaking point back in 2008, when my old brother left the house. I became violent, but not towards people. I would just have major anger attacks in where I ended up breaking things, screaming and insulting everyone. I calmed down later, though. Maybe I ran out of energy (?)

I'm a generally calm person and you will rarely see me angry, well at least openly. When I do get angry, I have a more annoyed look. Instead of getting violent I just slow myself down.

Lonelykitsune

Very rarely, and its usually just a quick fight between my siblings.

I'd never, ever even think of doing anything like carrying out a massacre like those men you mentioned did. I have no sympathy for them either. Bullied, outcast, whatever, there is no excuse for something like that.

I'm a girl who went to an all-girl school so I'd guess no-one would have even thought of me doing anything like that, even though I was weird and shy.

xDreamseller

I've never ever been violent or even shouted at anyone. I go very quiet when I'm angry (Even more quiet than normal) and keep it to myself. (Not really a problem as I've only ever been angry 2-3 times in my life)

But I do really want to learn to fight and just clean the floor with someone. Not for any real reason, I've just always wanted to beat someone in a fight. (A proper 1v1 fight, no cheap shots or anything)

Just to know that I would be capable of defending myself if the time ever came.

When I was about 14, 4-5 guys jumped me on my way to the shop after school, beat me up and stole my stuff. It wasn't bad or anything, just a few punches/kicks to the head/chest. With all the adrenaline etc I didn't feel a thing and actually thought it was funny as I walked back to school with blood all over my face. I would love to have one of them tied to a chair and just let me punch them in the face...over and over. It wasn't funny after the adrenaline wore off mind you, I've been scared to walk on my own ever since. (Getting better now, 6 years later)

Here's another one...do you think movies/video games De-sensatize you to violence? Do you think that if it came down to it, you could kill someone? (Life or death type situation. I've been watching The Walking Dead all day and have been thinking to myself "Just kill the loose ends...you'll stand a much better chance without them.")

I've had a lot of trouble with silent rage in the past, and still do to a degree. Though it has rarely got the better of me.

coyote

anxiety and avoidance = "flight"

anger and violence = "fight"

fight or flight responses are provoked by the same source - fear

it's the fear that needs to be addressed

what are we afraid of?

xDreamseller

I would say most people are feared of pain. (Whether that is physically or emotional) That just about covers everything I would say. (Apart from irrational phobias)

Labyrinthine

Every morning i have a violent altercation with my alarm clock...>.>

My body came up with a defense mechanism against it's enemy, the alarm clock; incorporate said noise into a dream, and the problem will go away. :rolleyes:

-

I've never been very violent. When I get in a rage, I feel a strong need to get away from the situation until I calm down. I calm down very quickly, at that.