driving phobia

marwan kamel

beside the social anxiety and BDD i have i also have fear almost from everything i got tired of my personality and i wish to die everyday but what really annoys me driving phobia because i have a car and i dont use it and everybody is critisizing me and thinking i am an idiot . i tried to learn driving but when i drive in crowded places i dont know why start to panic and have tachycardia ......may be its part of my social anxiety
i dont know what to do to overcome this ? anyone have any idea???

vexatiousmind

I have this to a degree, I was nervous driving for a year before I got used to it. Now I am only nervous when I am parking.( I have been driving 2 years, and I usually park away from other cars)

My advice is to just keep trying, drive extra cautious, and eventually you will get used to it.

NickyNacker

I'm 20 and haven't even gotten a permit yet. I failed the test 3 times and I'm terrified of driving. I'm mostly just scared of being in traffic and not knowing what to do in it. I hope you can get over it! Keep trying

upndwn

I'm 33 years old and I have never even tried to get a license. I am scared to death of driving, for the few times I have tried it I have gone absolutely nuts. I drive like as if I was in a GTA game. I think I have saved the world from many accidents by staying off the road ::p:

Despite not having a drivers license I have owned three cars, but I lived in the country so there was no traffic around (or traffic cops for that matter).

same thing happened 2 me i was afraid sum 1 was going to honk or say something about my driving but as i drove i learned and now feel more confident in my driving

I'm 19 years old and I don't own a diving license yet. And my grandmother has a driving phobia, so It does run in the family, I don't think I am afraid of driving though. Crowded places would boost my anxiety, but it's still SA, afraid of people, I'm not afraid of driving on the streets, are you afraid of sitting beside a driver, too?

I'm sorry to hear about your fear, hey. I hope you will overcome it, so you can see that driving is nothing special:) But heck, how difficult it can be to pass the exam getting rid of a phobia.

Good luck *hugs*

Last edited:

Nanita

I´m really scared of driving too and I don´t have a license.
I have never wanted to get a drivers license, until a year ago when my cousin got this cool hippie van with beds in the back.. I really wish I could have such a van (and drive it too)

Last edited:

fitftw

I love cars but rarely drive anywhere because I hate being looked at by other drivers. It feels very negative and awkward. I'm much more at ease driving at night so other drivers can't stare at my face.

marwan kamel

I have this to a degree, I was nervous driving for a year before I got used to it. Now I am only nervous when I am parking.( I have been driving 2 years, and I usually park away from other cars)

My advice is to just keep trying, drive extra cautious, and eventually you will get used to it.

thanx i took 3 driving courses and still :( and i know some people learned driving in a week

I'm 20 and haven't even gotten a permit yet. I failed the test 3 times and I'm terrified of driving. I'm mostly just scared of being in traffic and not knowing what to do in it. I hope you can get over it! Keep trying

thanx i hope u too

I'm 33 years old and I have never even tried to get a license. I am scared to death of driving, for the few times I have tried it I have gone absolutely nuts. I drive like as if I was in a GTA game. I think I have saved the world from many accidents by staying off the road ::p:

Despite not having a drivers license I have owned three cars, but I lived in the country so there was no traffic around (or traffic cops for that matter).
thanx unfortunately i live i a very crowded city nad people drive like nuts

same thing happened 2 me i was afraid sum 1 was going to honk or say something about my driving but as i drove i learned and now feel more confident in my driving
i have the same problem i keep thinking what people would say a bout my driving and that i am extraextra cautious unlike normal people

I'm 19 years old and I don't own a diving license yet. And my grandmother has a driving phobia, so It does run in the family, I don't think I am afraid of driving though. Crowded places would boost my anxiety, but it's still SA, afraid of people, I'm not afraid of driving on the streets, are you afraid of sitting beside a driver, too?

I'm sorry to hear about your fear, hey. I hope you will overcome it, so you can see that driving is nothing special:) But heck, how difficult it can be to pass the exam getting rid of a phobia.

Good luck *hugs*

no i dont think i become anxious sitting beside a driver because i think the reason i have driving phobia is the same in social anxiety which is over thinking of everything
people with social anxiety think of the very minimal details and risks of everything they try same like giving a presentation infront of students unlike others who do things without thinking of the results they just do

i am not scared driving in empty streets or driving fast but driving between others is what makes me anxious what if hit someone? what if someone hit me? how will i deal with that? that what makes me anxious

I´m really scared of driving too and I don´t have a license.
I have never wanted to get a drivers license, until a year ago when my cousin got this cool hippie van with beds in the back.. I really wish I could have such a van (and drive it too)
really cool it is really annoying that we lose alot of cool stuff and chances because of anxiety

I love cars but rarely drive anywhere because I hate being looked at by other drivers. It feels very negative and awkward. I'm much more at ease driving at night so other drivers can't stare at my face.
i have the same problem but i dont like driving at night because it is
more difficult and dangerous

hippiechild

haha.. when I saw this thread title, I was almost certain that it had been made by hippochild, my younger sister.

She's a bit car-shy as well. ::p:

JonnyD

believe it or not it's quite common, i have seen an ad about a psychiatrist who was especialized in fear of driving (it's in brazil so not much help for you)...

i didn't drive until i was 21, because i was afraid yes but because it's kind of expesive to do make a licence here, at the time it was a couple hundred $ more then i made a month and i had a fairly high salary...

When i did got the guts and the money, it was difficult, i got nervous (i had two instructors and one was a really pretty girl so...) and the first time i went on the road i would frequently let the car die... but i tryied and i did it... i managed to get both my car and motorcycle lessons, i passed the car test in the first try, but i had to try two times with the motorcycle...

today i drive my faithful old car everyday, i wont say i'm the ace of the wheel, i drive carefully, i know my litmitations , i pay much attention and respect every single signal, it's been three years now and i did crashed or ran over someone.

I wont say i don't get nervous when a speedy gonzales keep tailing me, or when i'm in heavy traffic and i need to change lanes, but i'm careful , very very careful. my phylosofy is, when in doubt go slow and don't risk it... at least here, if someone hits your rear its their fault not yours...

Actually i think learning to drive made me much better, now i care much less about other's opinions...

Last edited:

we_r_eternal

thank you all for not getting behind the wheel! as skilled driver for many years i can assure you that the entire population of drivers (and passengers for that matter) are safer without scared people freakin out behind the wheel of a 2000 lb. killing machine.... get a bus pass....

vexatiousmind

^ everyone is scared when they first learn how to drive.
I still get nervous driving, and I have never been in a rec.
I think everyone in here could be a good driver, as long as they had somewhere to go and practice to build confidence before they get on a busy road.