Drinking age

Aletheia

^^ Yeah, what!? Alarming.

When I was young, people drove drunk all the time. I did it a few times when I didn't want to have to go fetch my car the next day (hungover). *hangs her head in shame*

I don't know whether it's a cultural change, or simply because I'm older, but that has become way beyond the pale of acceptable behaviour.

Aletheia

I've never heard of that. Yeah, that is quite silly. :confused: In Australia it's 18 for consuming and serving alcohol.

While I was waitressing, it was 20 to drink, but 18 to serve, which seems like the right way round. I don't think alcohol is a particularly corrupting influence in and of itself.

coyote

I don't know whether it's a cultural change, or simply because I'm older, but that has become way beyond the pale of acceptable behaviour.

it's not as bad as it used to be, fortunately - but still a problem, particularly in rural areas of the US where distances are so vast

it's on the way out, though, like smoking - i don't know anyone who smokes anymore

MikeyC

When I was young, people drove drunk all the time. I did it a few times when I didn't want to have to go fetch my car the next day (hungover). *hangs her head in shame*

I have done the same thing. Not driving while drunk, but the next day, hungover, when I was sure to be over the limit (.05). I was very close to getting caught once and I have learnt from that. I enjoy having my licence! We can both hang our heads in shame.

I think it's a thing of getting older, although I will admit two friends of mine recently drove drunk to get some food (they admitted the next day that was very stupid and they were lucky not to get caught).

While I was waitressing, it was 20 to drink, but 18 to serve, which seems like the right way round. I don't think alcohol is a particularly corrupting influence in and of itself.
Really? I guess being in Australia it's difficult to comprehend two different ages for serving and consuming.

MikeyC

it's on the way out, though, like smoking - i don't know anyone who smokes anymore
I do, but I'm in my mid-20's, where people my age still think smoking is cool.

However, when I tell smokers I don't smoke, they congratulate me and say that's a good thing. My mate always offers me cigarettes because I have taken a puff when drunk and it's "fun to watch." Although I know he would be concerned if I took it up regularly.

Aletheia

^ Really hard to give up. Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances on earth. Makes me glad I never started. Still, my sister-in-law managed it overnight after she found out she was pregnant.

I know that people who no longer smoke often find bars the hardest: they're used to having a drink in one hand and a fag in the other.

Aletheia

Yeah, it's worst in rural areas here also, where it's too far to walk home from the pub and prohibitively expensive to take a taxi.

WeirdyMcGee

That's very true, he would've been in serious trouble, but that would've also meant you were out of a job. I don't know how much importance you placed on that job, but for some it's the difference between living and scraping by.

I was 15.
From 15 until a year after I graduated from highschool, I worked 3 jobs.
2 of them were fulltime in the summer and over winter break... so if I'd have lost one, it wouldn't have been a big deal.
It was my favourite job just because my boss was very good to me and not creepy- like my other male bosses were; but I'd have been able to make up for a job loss easily.
I took the responsibility of half the household bills on my own.
There was no written rule that said I had to give mom money every month - she felt bad that I was; but I did it so that it wasn't so hard on her to raise 3 kids on her own in low income and she could spend some time at home watching little brother and raising him properly so that he wouldn't turn out like other kids in the neighborhood-- addicted to meth by age 12.

MikeyC

^ Really hard to give up. Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances on earth. Makes me glad I never started. Still, my sister-in-law managed it overnight after she found out she was pregnant.
After re-reading my post, I should point out I meant that I do know people who still smoke, not that I do smoke myself! Hooray for vague posting.

But I agree with you, as it makes me glad I never started, too. Good to hear about your sister-in-law! She was thinking about the baby, obviously, but that's a great reason to quit.

I was 15.
From 15 until a year after I graduated from highschool, I worked 3 jobs.
2 of them were fulltime in the summer and over winter break... so if I'd have lost one, it wouldn't have been a big deal.
It was my favourite job just because my boss was very good to me and not creepy- like my other male bosses were; but I'd have been able to make up for a job loss easily.
I took the responsibility of half the household bills on my own.
There was no written rule that said I had to give mom money every month - she felt bad that I was; but I did it so that it wasn't so hard on her to raise 3 kids on her own in low income and she could spend some time at home watching little brother and raising him properly so that he wouldn't turn out like other kids in the neighborhood-- addicted to meth by age 12.
I guess you placed importance on that job simply because your boss was nice and not a creeper. :)

Working 3 jobs, plus giving your mother some even though you didn't have to - you are one hell of a daughter. You have a big heart, and also you were looking out for your little brother. So nice. ^_^

Silatuyok

After re-reading my post, I should point out I meant that I do know people who still smoke, not that I do smoke myself! Hooray for vague posting.

lol. I'm glad you clarified, because I felt a painful twinge of disappointment for a second there. Not that I was being judgmental, or anything. ;)

MikeyC

lol. I'm glad you clarified, because I felt a painful twinge of disappointment for a second there. Not that I was being judgmental, or anything. ;)
If I did smoke, you could judge all you like. But yeah, that was my bad for not being clear enough.

My parents are both smokers, and the statistics indicate children of smokers tend to smoke themselves. However, my brother and I both hate them. I guess we've seen how disgusting they are, how expensive they are, and how they affect health (parents coughing, etc.), so we want to stay the hell away from them.

Aletheia

I did it myself at that age on cheap bottles of sherry and other pukeables.

Asti Riccadonna ftw!

Speaking of puking, I made myself so ill one night (a horrible traumatic scarring night) when I was 16 drinking Southern Comfort and L&P that to this day I can go near neither.

coyote

My parents are both smokers, and the statistics indicate children of smokers tend to smoke themselves. However, my brother and I both hate them. I guess we've seen how disgusting they are, how expensive they are, and how they affect health (parents coughing, etc.), so we want to stay the hell away from them.

i grew up with parents who smoked heavily, and i always despised it

somehow, i ended up giving it a try when i was in the military

i ended up smoking cigarettes for about 8 years

then i quit cold-turkey - haven't had one since January, 1992, or was it 91?

i still enjoy a fine, hand-rolled cigar on occasion - can't remember the last time, though

MikeyC

Cold-turkey quitting is not easy, but it seems you had the stamina for it. Very nice, mate. :)

MrJones

i grew up with parents who smoked heavily, and i always despised it

somehow, i ended up giving it a try when i was in the military

i still enjoy a fine, hand-rolled cigar on occasion - can't remember the last time, though
I concur with Mikey, quitting is not easy (not that I know it myself, I never tried it and I don't want to) and cold-turkey even more, so congratulations, you must be a very strong man.

Moa

This probably sounds weird...

I always wished I was a smoker. People who smoke all tend to congregate together in places where smoking is permitted, and just start talking to each other. I know so many people who have met friends, boyfriends, girlfriends on a "smoke break".

I've smoked an occasional cigarette in my life, but it typically gives me a migraine. I used to really enjoy the occasional clove cigarette, but Obama outlawed them, on the claim that they are flavored cigarettes and attract kids to smoking.

coyote

Speaking of puking, I made myself so ill one night (a horrible traumatic scarring night) when I was 16 drinking Southern Comfort and L&P that to this day I can go near neither.

reminds me of the Jefferson Starship/.38 Special concert i attended circa 1980-81

Southern Comfort mixed with Orange Crush from the Sonic Drive-In on the way to the show

i remember very little about the concert aside from the vomiting

Silatuyok

This probably sounds weird...

I always wished I was a smoker. People who smoke all tend to congregate together in places where smoking is permitted, and just start talking to each other. I know so many people who have met friends, boyfriends, girlfriends on a "smoke break".

I've smoked an occasional cigarette in my life, but it typically gives me a migraine. I used to really enjoy the occasional clove cigarette, but Obama outlawed them, on the claim that they are flavored cigarettes and attract kids to smoking.

I've never smoked anything in my life, but yeah I know what you mean. Especially in art school, certain classmates would suddenly become best friends and I never knew how, until I realized that they all would go out for smoke breaks together. Made me jealous sometimes.