Drinking age

Moa

I've tried to join them as a non-smoker, but the second hand smoke is just awful. And somehow the camaraderie just isn't the same, like you're not "one of them" because you don't smoke.

Scenic

19 and don't plan to ever really drink.
I think 21 is good for the drinking age. I had to research this a bit for a debate and studies show that if the drinking age is 18, then the average age of people who abuse (meaning, binge drink) it is around 15. Here, the drinking age is 21, but the average age to abuse it is 18. Lowering the drinking age does not increase the maturity of the people. And considering the earlier you start drinking, the more likely you are to become addicted, having 15 year olds binge drink because the drinking age is lower is not the best idea.
People would say that since it's in their culture and they grew up with it, that they'd be able to handle it more responsibly. Facts are, teenagers are teenagers. They're not mature enough, especially the lower in age you go. If the US changed the drinking age to 18, college kids would go crazy. They have an exaggerated view of what the normal amount of alcohol to drink in a sitting is. That's how and why they get wasted and end up all over the toilet. Sure, by keeping the age 21, teenagers are going to rebel against that and drink anyway, but it makes some less likely to drink, especially if their future jobs are at stake. And the amount of teenagers drinking would be significantly less if the age was dropped and they were allowed to do it whenever and wherever. Keeping the age to 21 will help ensure that less drinking occurs and will help keep some irresponsible teenagers away from alcohol until they are put into an environment (a bar) where there are more mature adults who know that binge drinking is not anywhere close to the normal amount of alcohol someone should consume at once.

Just my 2 cents. There will always be people who try to disagree, though, and I guess that's why this is mostly all my opinion.
Sorry, this is just one of those things I get riled up about. : (

Last edited: