don't like donation people always

LazyHermitCrab

this happened on my college campus. I was running late to class and this guy stops me and says "I wanna tell you about so and so..." I said "im gonna be late" and he said oh this won't take long. He kept going on and on and giving me fake compliments. I told him I donate to other charities already and walked away. He glared at me and it made me feel awkward. I don't get why some charities are like this. I mean how do they expect someone to donate to them possibly at a later time if they act rude?? :// Has something like this happen to someone else and how to you deal with it?

Regret93

I would just ignore them and walk a little faster than usual, then if they kept bugging you, politely tell them to leave you alone, then if they still don't, tell them to 'go screw' or something to that effect.

They annoy me too, I did only donate one time when I probably was feeling pretty good that day. I usually say I don't have time and just walk away in a hurry, sometimes they would have a t-shirt with a logo on it so it's easy to spot them, but when they don't I might think it's just someone asking for directions to somewhere or so and then I realize it's about donation. I listened to the whole story and then just said I'm sorry I can't donate now and walked away, must have wasted their time.

MikeyC

When I know I have to walk past someone that's going to do that, I get slightly nervous. I dislike it a lot because they're forcing you to comply with them. I once bought over $100 of anti-ageing cream because I was too nice and couldn't get away. Seriously!

These days, I'm more vigilant and rude (which is against my nature) and have learned to say "no" when necessary (sometimes, haha).

For you, I think this is the same. Since you're at college, it's a hotbed of young, malleable people they can recruit or sponge from. I know what they're doing has good intentions, but to come up to you and essentially tell you to fork over your money is bold, and you have to be bold back and decline and continue walking. There's really no other way.

This is a really annoying way of raising money. Here, one way they do it is to set up a table near a shop entrance and try to engage people as they walk by. They offer nothing in return, such as a raffle would, and trap the kind of person who can't say no. Just because they stick their face in mine is no reason to reply, so I ignore them.

Merel

On the campus I lived on, I used to see canvassers very frequently. To avoid them I used to take out my notes/acted as if I were studying intently/walked briskly/looked alarmed as possible, as if I had an exam to run to within the next 5 minutes. I think only one person out of probably a few hundred was brazen enough to stop me while I was putting on this act in all the time I spent at college. I could still see myself doing this now because I'm introverted and I find interaction with pushy strangers to be very trying.

R3K

i just tell them I'm broke.

i also hate when i'm entering the store and homeless ppl give me a greeting like "hey buddy how ya doing?" and when i don't reply they mutter ******* under their breath.

if i replied with a nice greeting, then they'd take that as a go-ahead to start badgering me for money. and i don't want to give them money every damn time, so i don't take their social bait. plus i'm social phobic, so i don't like talking to unscrupulous strangers who probably have psychotic issues and are carrying weapons. so i have to just take the ******* insult with me and can't do or say anything back.:eek:mg:

Remus

Staff member
In the UK we call them "chuggers" (charity muggers), they are trained to manipulate your guilt. Twats....