Does you family believe you, that you have SAD?

minnow

I started this thread because even though I have a formal diagnose, my mom thinks I am just to lazy to go anywhere and my g.ma believes me but blows it off like it's not important and I could do it if I tried. And they both get upset when I won't make a call or go into a store etc. Does anyone else have this problem? Because it makes me feel even more alone.

bigrob

My parents know nothing of my Schizoid diagnoses. I know they know I have had issues most of my life. I know they know I was diagnosed with depression a dozen years ago, and they know I just plain "hate people". My dad says it runs in the family and we "just deal with it". I am quite resentful of that attitude and feel it ruined my life.

My wife knows everything, but we don't identify with each other being that she's the extroverted, emotionally driven, impulsive type....everything I'm not.

Last edited:

Ritta

My parents never I accepted the fact that there was something wrong with me till I started getting some mental help from counselors and my dr. Looks like they believed them more than they believed me. Even now they don't think what I have is too serious. Just a little thing I could get over if I wanted to. Just the other day my mom was complaining that I never tell her anything, I wonder why? :mad:

I don't let it get to me any more. I got people who understand me and are trying to help me, so that's all that matters. :)

Lionheart

Banned
I started this thread because even though I have a formal diagnose, my mom thinks I am just to lazy to go anywhere and my g.ma believes me but blows it off like it's not important and I could do it if I tried. And they both get upset when I won't make a call or go into a store etc. Does anyone else have this problem? Because it makes me feel even more alone.

mine thinks im a freak and just lazy...

My family believes it, but I don't think they take it that seriously. My brother is always telling me that I should just talk to people (as if it's that easy :rolleyes:). Recently when I was discussing my phone phobia with my mom, she said that you just do it and you'll get over it... that's when I reminded her that I have had moments where I was able to overcome it a little, but it never lasts. I'm 31 now, and have been this way at least since I was a teenager- so I don't think I'm going to just get over it.

overcome.

As far as immediate family goes, my mum does her best to understand. A long time ago, my family would ask me to go to a restaurant with them, and maybe do some shopping after, and I'd always decline. They'd tell me to stop being lazy, and get off of my laptop, and go do something. I think they realised in time that this wasn't something that I did because I was lazy - and they stopped being this way towards me.

awkwardamanda

I don't think they would believe me if I tried to explain my issues. I keep a lot to myself and I hide my problems as much as I can. I have no intentions of trying to become more open. I don't want to be. They know I'm shy, but they have no idea the extent of it. They definitely don't realize I get depressed either. I think more likely my dad wouldn't understand and wouldn't believe it's an issue. My mom maybe wouldn't get it either, but I think she'd want to know more than I'm willing to explain. So I keep quiet.

seafolly

They sure do. I was a happy teenager, they knew something was wrong. And when the fainting started, well, ya just can't make that stuff up. I've always been a kid to suck things up, ever since I was a toddler they say, so to describe something so illogical was pretty uncharacteristic not to mention throwing all the things in life I held dear away (school, friends, sports). They knew me well, I guess is what I'm trying to say. They don't get it, but they try, which I know is lucky.

hangbi92

mine never do. i think its better to say that they dont want to accept the fact that I have a mental disorder. im sure they know i have a serious problem because they see how fearful i am in socializing . they always telling me that i am just shy and try to put me into social situation as much as they can. they say if i do so i will gradually get better but they dont know what's going on with my mind. i still remember the sad look of my mom and the anger of my dad when i tried to mentioned about my disorder. So now i think I better not tell them anymore because i dont want them to be disappointed