Does the location you live in help or hinder you?

ChrystaR

There is a reason I am posting this in the New Zealand forum which I will explain. This is kinda a little personal rant.

I live in Arizona. It's dry, hot, brown and to me, down right ugly. There are parts of AZ that are better, especially the Northern part of the state, but the population goes down and gets a little too 'small town-y' for me. We hardly get any rain, which I hate because I love rain so much, probably because we don't get any. About six inches a year! The only thing I like about it here is the mild winter and the Monsoon rain in the summer that provide really nice sunsets.

Anyway, I grew up watching the tv show Xena and just recently watched all of the show Hercules which I'm sure New Zealander's probably know were both filmed in NZ. I always loved the beautiful scenery in the show and have again fallen in love with it. It's so green and lush and beautiful. Beaches and forest and waterfalls. It's amazing. I just recently looked up what the weather is like there and oh my god it's perfect! I would love that so much!

So, to my point! I feel that living here in this dry and hot place (usually triple digits all summer) with no rain and limited green and natural beauty is making me sad. Now, it taps into a lot of feelings for me. I have always hated the heat and how ugly it is here, I have always loved lush, green beauty. I crave it. I literally ache for it! Just seeing it makes me feel good, the beauty the romance of nature and rain. Just on days that it rains here I feel energized, far more full of life than normal. So knowing that beauty like that is out there in the world, and that people like you get to live there, to see that everyday (yes, I'm sure there is a difference between city and rural, but you get what I mean) and that I can't have it just kills me. I fear that I will never get away from this city, my family lives here and I could never move away from them and I could never move someplace by myself. And I fear that I will never have the money to travel to these places of beauty, and never be able to get over my anxiety enough to enjoy traveling like I should.

In conclusion, I know that the rain and green make me happy and the dry and heat make me sad. I try to push it away because in a way it is such a trivial thing, but then it kind of really isn't.

Are you effected by your environment? Does it make you happy or sad?

ImNotMyIllness

I think environment can play a very large role for some people. I would hate to live in such a hot and ugly environment...although, I also dislike rainy weather! I live in Southern California and although it's not beautiful here and can be too hot at times, we have great beaches. That's what keeps me going! I need a warm beach, with lots of sand....can't wait until summer!

Kiwong

The natural environment where I live in Australia, the beaches, the bushland, the widflowers, brings me peace and joy. The climate in summer can be hard to tolerate, high heat and humidity.

It is the people I live with, in the town I work that hinders me and brings me down.

I have been to NZ and the scenery is maginificent, particularly on the south island. Parts of NZ can get quite cold, wet and windy in winter.

Last edited:

ukmale

damn NZ sounds alot like home (England) but I'm sure a lot more friendly smaller and just a all around better place to be now that would be my dream to live live by the coast not to far away from a few shops ect and il be happy walks along the beach I'm sure walks in the amazing countryside what a life .. better than this ****hole here

laure15

It helps and hinders me, but not as much as the other environments I've lived in. This one is better. I have emotional support and peace of mind.

Sometimes I think the city hinders me. It's too big and impersonal. But then again, living in a suburban or rural area could be worse. Just because you're in the country or a small town doesn't mean people will be friendly. I guess it mostly depends on the people, and people everywhere in the USA these days seem less friendly and more individualistic. At least in the city there are lots of opportunities to keep my social skills sharp and continue to improve upon them.

destructoroflife

I get depressed with sunny days, and heat just make me want to end it all.

Living in a tropical country I'm doomed.

I've always wanted to live in a cold, cloudy place. What most people call a "depressive enviroment" is the opposite to me.

this_portrait

When they say that the four seasons happen all in one day in Chicago, they're right. The weather here can never seem to make up its mind. Wind is never fun, either.

But weather isn't what bothers me about this city. It's the noise that I can't stand. Sirens, horns, yelling, loud music in stores... Just once, can't it be toned down a bit?

Crowded trains and buses on very hot and humid days are also misery for me. I find that I shoot daggers at everyone within a 5-foot distance from me on those days, especially if they smell.

City life definitely turns me more into a misanthrope. I've learned to appreciate the rare moments I get to visit my hometown, because at least it's quieter there.

AGR

Yes I hate summer here,besides not only the climate,in Japan its really hard to meet people if you are introverted,plus I am an immigrant also which makes it harder,I cant connect with other immigrants because seriously the vast marjority from where I come from are *******s,dont know if I am exagerating but its what seems like.
I like my home country,only problem is that its really hot also,countries that look great to me are Canada and England,I hope to one day at least to go sightseeing there.

MikeyC

It can get hot here, but damn it, Australia is a beautiful country. Shellharbour is certainly not the worst place to live, at all.

All of my hindering has been from my own doing.

hidwell

The place makes little difference in the long run, your own thought patterns and ingrained behaviour determine any future perceived happiness.

hidwell

There is a reason I am posting this in the New Zealand forum which I will explain. This is kinda a little personal rant.

I live in Arizona. It's dry, hot, brown and to me, down right ugly. There are parts of AZ that are better, especially the Northern part of the state, but the population goes down and gets a little too 'small town-y' for me. We hardly get any rain, which I hate because I love rain so much, probably because we don't get any. About six inches a year! The only thing I like about it here is the mild winter and the Monsoon rain in the summer that provide really nice sunsets.

Anyway, I grew up watching the tv show Xena and just recently watched all of the show Hercules which I'm sure New Zealander's probably know were both filmed in NZ. I always loved the beautiful scenery in the show and have again fallen in love with it. It's so green and lush and beautiful. Beaches and forest and waterfalls. It's amazing. I just recently looked up what the weather is like there and oh my god it's perfect! I would love that so much!

So, to my point! I feel that living here in this dry and hot place (usually triple digits all summer) with no rain and limited green and natural beauty is making me sad. Now, it taps into a lot of feelings for me. I have always hated the heat and how ugly it is here, I have always loved lush, green beauty. I crave it. I literally ache for it! Just seeing it makes me feel good, the beauty the romance of nature and rain. Just on days that it rains here I feel energized, far more full of life than normal. So knowing that beauty like that is out there in the world, and that people like you get to live there, to see that everyday (yes, I'm sure there is a difference between city and rural, but you get what I mean) and that I can't have it just kills me. I fear that I will never get away from this city, my family lives here and I could never move away from them and I could never move someplace by myself. And I fear that I will never have the money to travel to these places of beauty, and never be able to get over my anxiety enough to enjoy traveling like I should.

In conclusion, I know that the rain and green make me happy and the dry and heat make me sad. I try to push it away because in a way it is such a trivial thing, but then it kind of really isn't.

At the moment New Zealand is in a terrible drought, so at the moment not that green.

LoyalXenite

The beaches here in Australia often soothe my emotional pains, but right now it takes me abotu an hour to walk to the beach so i havent gone as often as i did when i lived 5 minutes away

Nanita

It´s funny, because I really love the landscapes of Arizona (and New Mexico). I feel drawn to that type of landscape... I dont know why?! However, I do understand why you´re tired of the dryness and everything.
In my country, it rains quite a lot, it is very green and fresh, and it rarely gets very hot in the summer. Most of the country is surrounded by sea, and I just love how easily accessible the beaches are.
When I stay in countries that are very dry and warm, I miss the green landscapes of my home country.
New Zealand certainly seems like a wonderful place to be.. Maybe one day you will be able to go there or live there?!

I don't think you should push your sensitivity towards your natural surroundings away. It's anything but trivial. Towns and cities- and the things in them, are nothing but tools for living, just because it looks the same everywhere, doesn't mean that it necessarily is (or that you should feel the same everywhere).

You still very much live in a certain habitat in the sense of weather and natural qualities.

I personally am VERY sensitive to my environment. Outside as well as inside.

Klonoa

It hinders me to hell and back. Not the weather, the fact I'm always in home cause outside gets dangerous, unable to get social life cause places start to close by sunset with everyone scared and the lack of job opportunities, as well how population is constantly stressed and in a hurry.