Does the color of our skin really matter?

Ecclesiastes

I've always heard of people discriminating against races. Well, actually I'm an asian, from Singapore. I've always wanted to go overseas to further my studies but have always heard of people around me talking about how people are being racists out there.

I've heard of really nasty things like uhm, there was once a friend of mine was in Sydney when a group of Australians started throwing stones at her asking her to get her ass off back to China. Uhm.. well, for one, ..she's not from China. Did they mistake her because of her skin?

I really want to take a look out there, outside of this tiny country, and also.. I've always loved the western culture. I think people there are so much generous and nicer. People here are so narrow minded, ..or is it the same everywhere?

A senior of mine told me everywhere I go, there will be racists. Is it true? Frankly speaking this is the probably the only reason why I'm still stuck here in this island not going anywhere.. I mean, does race really matter? It's not like I carry some kind of disease that only my race has it and it's gonna infect them.....

mads

I've always heard of people discriminating against races. Well, actually I'm an asian, from Singapore. I've always wanted to go overseas to further my studies but have always heard of people around me talking about how people are being racists out there.

I've heard of really nasty things like uhm, there was once a friend of mine was in Sydney when a group of Australians started throwing stones at her asking her to get her ass off back to China. Uhm.. well, for one, ..she's not from China. Did they mistake her because of her skin?

I really want to take a look out there, outside of this tiny country, and also.. I've always loved the western culture. I think people there are so much generous and nicer. People here are so narrow minded, ..or is it the same everywhere?

A senior of mine told me everywhere I go, there will be racists. Is it true? Frankly speaking this is the probably the only reason why I'm still stuck here in this island not going anywhere.. I mean, does race really matter? It's not like I carry some kind of disease that only my race has it and it's gonna infect them.....

First of all. Really sorry to hear that about you friend.

But yes there are racists everywhere, in every country and every town there are racists unfortunately.

But that should not make you not want to go I think. I am sure you will get a lot of friends. For instance I live in Rio with my fianceé and yes probably some thinks that it is strange with a black girl having a white partner but we really could not care less about it.

da_illest101

I would say it depends of the place. I live in quebec canada, near montreal. There is a lot of different race so it's less racist, well at least not to our face. I'm black and have been victim of racism but nothing like throwing rocks or a beat down, just stupid comment mostly by old quebec white people. But that happened like twice in my life.

Ecclesiastes

Mhmm but could it be that blacks are better received there? Since there are natives living there to begin with.. while asians aren't that common..

Mythos & Logos

Overt racism tends to come in fairly small patches here in Canada(I've only experienced it a couple times myself) & I would think it's the same in places like Australia. I think your friend just happened to come into contact with one of the small patches that I spoke of, I wouldn't let that stop you from going if you want to, you'll likely enjoy yourself, most people are welcoming

Ecclesiastes

Yeah I guess you're right, most of the whites I know of are nice people.. maybe it's because I know I'm really sensitive to what people say to me, I mean really sensitive!

Like there was once I just earned my driving license I went out for a drive and this car sounded his horn at me and kept on doing that to me, it affected me for the next few days despite my brother telling me it's no big deal. Took me really quite awhile before I look back and thought I should have just showed him the finger with a smile ~_~; (not that I really would, hee)

I tend to let what people remark get the better of me, and I know its bad! Just got no idea how to throw them aside and just don't bother :[ Just got this feeling if I happen to get involve with such things I might just be crying the entire week = =''

U

userremoved

I think you'll be ok. As long as you're not hanging out in bars out in the middle of the boondocks or something.

N04h

The short answer is that yes skin color DOES matter to some people... I have been called "yellow trash" while walking my dog and been told that they "don't want you in our country"

But those people are idiots and are the minority

Depends on the neighborhood.
I myself would like to get the hell outta here, but I can't support myself so I have no real way to. I've always wanted to travel to Japan though. Japan fascinates me.

awkwardamanda

I'm gonna throw a bit of a twist on this one. Here's what I don't get: People claim that the colour of your skin shouldn't matter and that we should all be treated the same way. Okay. Fine by me.:) BUT, why then, is everybody so obsessed with tanning? Why is it so undesirable to have fair skin? I'm very pale and I'm fine with that. It's impossible for me to tan. I just burn and then it fades back to white. People tell me I should go tanning or use spray-on tanners or whatever. I don't want to though. I don't see why it's such a big deal. If skin colour isn't supposed to matter then I don't get why people can't just accept the way they are. If you're dark skinned, fine. If you're light skinned, fine. If you naturally tan when you're out in the sun, fine. I just don't see why people have to go out of their way to have the perfect skin tone.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ecclesiastes

I'm gonna throw a bit of a twist on this one. Here's what I don't get: People claim that the colour of your skin shouldn't matter and that we should all be treated the same way. Okay. Fine by me.:) BUT, why then, is everybody so obsessed with tanning? Why is it so undesirable to have fair skin? I'm very pale and I'm fine with that. It's impossible for me to tan. I just burn and then it fades back to white. People tell me I should go tanning or use spray-on tanners or whatever. I don't want to though. I don't see why it's such a big deal. If skin colour isn't supposed to matter then I don't get why people can't just accept the way they are. If you're dark skinned, fine. If you're light skinned, fine. If you naturally tan when you're out in the sun, fine. I just don't see why people have to go out of their way to have the perfect skin tone.:rolleyes:

Mhmm, agreed. But could it be because tan colored skin makes them look healthier? Or might it be just something everyone's brain washed by the media.

Over here because try to be as fair as they can. No one likes themselves dark. People here use sun block more of sun tanning lotion XD;

I guess, skin color really does matter... I seriously don't get what's the big deal about it. Or to say, why are people racist to begin with :confused:

People are racist because everyone's different.
We understand and relate to others who see the world the same way we do. We make fun of, judge, and don't understand "outcasts".
It's human nature

Tiercel

Yes, the color of our skin matters. But only when dealing with the sun. And he's not too kind to pasty folk like myself.

But skin color makes it quite easy to generalize and make ourselves feel more comfortable. The local news reports that a black guy is a shooting suspect, and it's easier to just think that all black guys are immoral and dangerous instead of just this one. An affluent white woman wanted for a hit and run? Well, don't they all think that they're too good to get drunk and make a mistake? I think skin color is one of the easiest ways for us to justify being better than someone else. A quick glance is enough to discern a difference, and if they don't look like me they couldn't possibly be the same. Could they?

On a somewhat related note, I'm a white guy who looks like a skinhead, listens to heavy metal, and has an interest in Nazi Germany. Be very afraid! Just don't stick around or you'll learn that I'm actually a pretty nice guy. ;)

AGR

I am mixed,but I have small eyes,most people who see me who are not asian themselves I guess would classify me as asian,I lived outside of asia and yes you will get comments,its taboo to be racist agains blacks,with asians its funny,there was only me ,other guy and two girls who were descendent of asians in my school,I got comments like trying to imitate the japanese language,all asians know each other,slanting of the eyes,small penis and etc,even from my friends,I think they dont realized they were racist,I didnt mind either.
What looks like to me is that anglo saxon countries are much worse,but I cant tell for sure because I never went to one,I always read about beat downs,racial tension,segregation,race riots,asian guys cant date outside their races because they are asians,never had those kind of problems in my country(brazil).

ripewithdecay

Well you already speak good english so i can pretty much guarantee you you'll be fine if you visit Canada or the US. Racists here tend to hide under their little rocks, and unless you go looking for them, they won't bother you.