Does it get easier with age?

sahxox

In regards to leading a 'normal' 9-5 life, dealing with all the extra stuff us sa sufferers endure with normal everyday occurences.

So does it? :)

AtTheGates

Banned
idk but im hoping most people get less judgmental with age....I cant stand overly judgemental/small minded people....They act like certain types of people are SO much different/beneath them when really they probably have alot of things in common but instead they disregard it all and look down from their high horse of judgement like they're ****ing special.

Last edited:

jayfan

ive always seen it as i age the difficulty mode on life just keeps increasing
. it was a lot easier for me to be 23 and single then 30plus with a few kids as far as my sa. way more
insecure and think less of myself as i age.....

NamiraWilhelm

The older people on here.... well I get the impression it doesn't get easier with age. Which is extremely disheartening.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Personally some things have gotten better as I've become older. Some things I find I care less about. Some things I find I care more about.
In general life I feel I'm in more control, and feel more assured.
But as far as AvPD/SA goes, it comes in waves. And when I'm having down patches, it's much more severe the older I get.
I think it's different for each person.

AlienGeranium

It can get better or it can get worse.

I feel this is sort of what happens, It really depends on what happens over that time you age. I know for me there are a lot of things that were the biggest of deals when I was a teenager, and that now I couldn't care less about as I enter my mid twenties.

arjuna

Imo, it's not so much related to age but to exposure. Anxiety tends to reduce if you are constantly exposing yourself to it and hopefully realizing there is nothing to fear. I have chatted to some people on here who spent 6 years of their life reading up on SA and got over it on their own. So, no, age is not a determining factor; it is more like your outlook, intelligence and maturity.

Odo

Banned
The older people on here.... well I get the impression it doesn't get easier with age. Which is extremely disheartening.

People only come here when they're down, which can give you a false impression of how things really are.

Part of the reason SA is so hard in your 20s is because you still want to do great things, be successful and such. There's a lot of urgency that has nothing to do with being you and everything to do with getting what you think you want.

In your 30s you can sort of come to terms with yourself and re-evaluate what's important to you... so there is an opportunity to define yourself on your own terms, and that can be a very good thing. If you're still caught up in other people's values then it can be hard and of course you never completely get over it, but you can still find a way to be at peace with who you are and realize you don't have to give up on yourself if you don't have what you want yet.

Sacrament

It gets better through a combination of exposure and attitude. If your attitude is one of struggling against everything around you because you don't like yourself enough to enjoy the little things in life, then it won't get easier because you'll just push all good people and experiences away.

Megaten

Yes and no? Some things have gotten easier because I've gotten more life experiences, while some are still pretty rough. But thats going to vary between individuals. At one time I couldnt go to walmart without being uncomfortable. But now its making friends and cameras that really bother me.

sahxox

I've personally found anxiety does come in waves as well... I guess my question was more to do with the experience of living becoming easier, which fits in with the responses about exposure.

Very interesting though. I guess we have to ride the waves as they come and not get knocked over by them, and I guess the more experience to shit one has the better they'll get.

Izzie

I think it differs. I found life much easier once I got older but now (even older) I am having a really tough time and I think some of the extra responsibilities you have when older can make it harder but on the other hand they can force you to keep going. Like I cannot stop working because I have kids to feed etc. and most of the time I would happily not go but when I go I know generally it is the better thing for me rather than staying home and going over things. I think it mostly depends on your circumstances and what help and support you're getting when you need it.