Does anyone here not drink and never have?

ajo86

Hi,

I was just wondering if there is anyone here who doesn't drink and have never touched the stuff? I am 22 years old and have never drunk in my life, I just don't feel the need to it isn't something that appeals to me. I can find much better things to spend money on rather than alcohol. Anyway the thing is while I was at my final years at school I got bullied really badly (I've been bullied all throughout my school life but the last years were the worse)because I wasn't like everyone else, because I wasn't a sheep and just follow everyone else and do the same thing. I used to get called a loser, weirdo and not normal,(plus worse words i can't repeat) those nasty comments really used to get to me. I used to think to myself what have I done to be treated like this :(

When I started my first job in a restaurant at the age of 17 I remember being asked to take some alcoholic drinks from the bar to some customers, I didn't know what alcoholic drinks they were so I asked the manager, and she just looked at me and said "you need to get a life" I remember going home that day and crying in my room for hours.

I would like to know if anyone here doesn't drink has anyone ever been nasty towards you or anything?

I very rarely drink, and I've never been drunk... but I haven't really been teased because of it. My sisters and sometimes others will make comments about needing to get me drunk sometime, but I know they wouldn't force it or anything. I just don't feel the need to get drunk, or get "high" on any other kind of drug. I think it probably causes more problems than it's worth.

thor01

You summed up how I feel on it ajo, I don't drink and don't intend to ever. And yes I understand you about not following everyone else. I can understand how you must have felt after the "you need to get a life" comment, that was horrible. What she was basically saying though is you need to follow what most peoples idea of a "life" is, which to some people like us isn't a "life" at all.

workout

belch... don't touch it. very bitter in taste and odor. I tried to get myself to like it but got fed up soon.

this_portrait

I'm almost 20, and I've never even had any thoughts about trying it, even when I do turn 21. Alcoholism and addictive personalities tend to run in my family, so I'm under the impression that I'm screwed if I even take one sip.

Akira

I've never had alcohol and I don't intend to try it, either. I guess there are some perks to being practically invisible to society, because I don't really get teased for anything.

Good jobs guys for saying no. Alcohol is also a natural depressant, not good for people with SA and low self esteem.

mmmm

I used to binge when i was a teenager but as soon as i turned 18, i realised i'd never actually enjoyed it, so i quit and have never looked back

sabbath9

Banned
I drink alone, yeah
With nobody else
I drink alone, yeah
With nobody else
You know when I drink alone
I prefer to be by myself

Every morning just before breakfast
I don't want no coffee or tea
Just me and good buddy Wiser
That's all I ever need
'Cause I drink alone, yeah
With nobody else
Yeah, you know when I drink alone
I prefer to be by myself

The other night I laid sleeping
And I woke from a terrible dream
So I caught up my pal Jack Daniel's
And his partner Jimmy Beam
And we drank alone, yeah
With nobody else
I prefer to be by myself

The other day I got invited to a party
But I stayed home instead
Just me and my pal Johnny Walker
And his brothers Black and Red
And we drank alone, yeah
With nobody else
I prefer to be by myself

My whole family done give up on me
And it makes me feel oh so bad
The only one who will hang out with me
Is my dear old granddad
And we drink alone, yeah
With nobody else
I prefer to be by myself

klytus

I once or twice in my life drank alcohol, but I actually disapprove of it. I have never been drunk and I am disgusted by my peers who binge-drink almost every weekend.

KevinR

Alcohol seems to be more fun then it is in reality. I can really look forward on friday having a drink at the end of the day, after a week of working, but when I have one, it's nothing special anymore. I envy people who haven't drunk alcohol or haven't used drugs or whatsoever. On the other hand, I wonder if it has formed my personality somewhat (negative of positive).

recluse

Haven't touched a drop since February and it doesn't bother me a bit. Most of my peers can't go a week without drinking. I've never been a big drinker anyway, it just makes me puke and it's a waste of money.

dottie

Hi,

I was just wondering if there is anyone here who doesn't drink and have never touched the stuff? I am 22 years old and have never drunk in my life, I just don't feel the need to it isn't something that appeals to me. I can find much better things to spend money on rather than alcohol. Anyway the thing is while I was at my final years at school I got bullied really badly (I've been bullied all throughout my school life but the last years were the worse)because I wasn't like everyone else, because I wasn't a sheep and just follow everyone else and do the same thing. I used to get called a loser, weirdo and not normal,(plus worse words i can't repeat) those nasty comments really used to get to me. I used to think to myself what have I done to be treated like this :(

When I started my first job in a restaurant at the age of 17 I remember being asked to take some alcoholic drinks from the bar to some customers, I didn't know what alcoholic drinks they were so I asked the manager, and she just looked at me and said "you need to get a life" I remember going home that day and crying in my room for hours.

I would like to know if anyone here doesn't drink has anyone ever been nasty towards you or anything?

that's funny! you're a lot like me! i worked as a server for a year and a half (a year and a half of pure hell). anyway, people would order drinks all the time and i honestly had no idea what was what (still don't actually, even after a year and a half). it was pretty humiliating when i would always have to ask the bar tender which drink was which. the thing is... there are so many different TYPES of alcohol, different brands, so many different wines, different colors, what to mix what with, so many DETAILS. it's ridiculous. i don't know why being a raging alcoholic is the equivalent of getting a life but that manager sucks. then, most of them do.

i do drink on occasion but rarely to get drunk. some days i love to have a nice cold beer, especially when it's hot out. mmmm... when i go out to eat i might order a glass of wine or cocktail. sometimes i will drink with my boyfriend just to unwind but that's about it.

I'm almost 20, and I've never even had any thoughts about trying it, even when I do turn 21. Alcoholism and addictive personalities tend to run in my family, so I'm under the impression that I'm screwed if I even take one sip.

Same here, pop-pop was an alcoholic and my uncles are too. As soon as I turn 21 I'm sure I'm fated to become one, although on the bright side at least I'm a goofy drunk.

enigma

I'm always amazed when people say they become more sociable when they drink, because whenever i get mildly pickled, i feel even more socially inept.

El.Sonador

I have never drank in my life, not even touched the bottle, and I'm not planning to...never smoked anything or did any drugs either ...It's all against my religious beliefs....

and I actually got great comments about that , if someone tried to make you feel bad about not drinking, I guess they're the one who have a problem...

Last edited:

Kinetik

When I was younger I would often binge-drink to the point of being incredibly drunk/throwing up. Now I try to only drink a little bit, but more frequently. It helps take the edge off things without me overdoing it. I'm not too fond of alcohol on the whole but it's one of the few things I have at my disposal when it comes to not feeling so anxious. Ideally I would not drink at all, so to those people who haven't started, I think it may be best to keep it that way - especially because it's quite easy for folks with SA to abuse the stuff and take it all way too far in an effort to not feel shy or self-conscious.