Do you think you're too sensitive?

Diend

Does being easily irritated, overwhelmed contribute to your anxiety? Would you like it if less things bothered you or if things didn't have such an emotional impact on you. it would benefit me if I didn't analyze too much or feel horrible about things or get easily embarassed. I think we praise being sensitive, but too much of it doesn't serve us well.

theoutsider

I don't think I'm too sensitive. I KNOW I'm too sensitive. Somehow that knowledge doesn't stop me from being that way though.

Zaki

Definitely. Absolutely. For sure. No doubt. I can become flustered pretty easily and I feel like crying when confused. I've cried alone in a room while at work. I hate feeling incompetent. I stay taking things personally. Doesn't take a whole lot to turn a sweet day sour. Wish I could just shake it off on some Taylor Swift type shizz, but I'm not good at letting things roll off my back. I carry stuff around, and boy can I carry it for a long time. I still haven't truly moved on from comments that were directed at me years ago. I try to act like things don't get to me the way they do because if I didn't, I'd constantly be breaking down in front of people. I don't want to be seen as weak, even though I believe I am.

Last edited:

AtTheGates

Banned
not really..I mean, I USED to be...but to a certain extent I can put up with being picked on, judged, criticized, and whatnot...but some people do it WAY too much and you really shouldn't have to tell someone to stop being such an *******..I tend to avoid those kinds of people anyway...im not going to just sit there quietly if someone is continuously making biting personal remarks to me or about me...once it gets to a certain point, i'll just leave...

Last edited:

Megaten

Im definitely too sensitive. Pretty much most of the altercations Ive gotten into stemmed from me taking things too personally.

Things bother me and send me into pseudo panic attacks when they shouldn't. There's no doubt in my mind that I'm too sensitive. But, I also recognize it's my responsibility to find ways to cope with the sensitivity to the point where I can function with the negative qualities in me I can't change. Certain aspects of the sensitivity are amongst that.

It's been an uphill battle.

MollyBeGood

Yes, I do have that issue...i have had some people tell me it's a very good trait to have but I have no idea why. It has been a real hindrance.

Sacrament

I tend to panic easily when I have certain thoughts about certain situations, as if it doesn't take much for my life to spiral out of control. Working on that. I guess you turn that dial down a notch by learning things that make you more generally self reliant.

Sacrament

^^ Hmm, like what?

Stuff like how to properly do your taxes, how to fix your car/dryer/washing machine/broken toilet/damaged furniture, what to do and who to call if your power goes out for a long amount of time or on a regular basis, how to paint any part of your house, how to polish wood, how to properly handle finances and handle stressful situations. Basically, if you're generally aware of what to do in a certain situation, or how to properly do research on how to handle that situation in order to apply that knowledge, the world doesn't have to be such a chaotic place because you do a better job at handling what may come at you.

Bronson99

Stuff like how to properly do your taxes, how to fix your car/dryer/washing machine/broken toilet/damaged furniture, what to do and who to call if your power goes out for a long amount of time or on a regular basis, how to paint any part of your house, how to polish wood, how to properly handle finances and handle stressful situations. Basically, if you're generally aware of what to do in a certain situation, or how to properly do research on how to handle that situation in order to apply that knowledge, the world doesn't have to be such a chaotic place because you do a better job at handling what may come at you.

I believe this is different from the innate sensitivity I have, which really touches everything, whether or not it is practical. Emotional, sensory, physical, etc.

I do believe what you suggest would help me--I certainly don't know how to do many of those things--but it doesn't cure hypersensitivity.

Argentum

I think it depends on the topic. I can take literary rejections or, with a little de-stressing, snobby classmates and coworkers. Romantic or emotional rejections are much harder and I always seem to be drawn to people who don't express their feelings, don't know what they feel about me, are severely shy, etc, and it winds up crushing me.

I can stand being told that my writing isn't what someone is looking for, that it's flawed, or even not receiving a response at all which is an implied rejection. It stings, but it also rolls off my shoulders and I don't take breaks due to them. I can't stand people I care about who I think care about me, too, going hot and cold, withdrawing, and ignoring me even when I turn my charm up to maximum and am screaming inside for them to pay attention to me and be warmed by me as I'm warmed by them. The pressure to either know I'm not wanted so that I can show myself out or be shown with certainty that I'm welcome. The fear that I might be throwing honest tokens of affection at the feet of someone who sees them as nothing more than idle entertainment, or worse as something awkward they wish would stop but don't know how to deflect.

The knowledge that by getting impatient and pushing to talk about what we really feel for each other, I risk ruining the natural flow of things and making things uncomfortable where they might not have been before. Sitting in the cold and the emotional fog, not knowing what's going on inside their heart or mind except that there are cogs turning inside them and me--I just don't know what they're working for, let alone if it's in unison. Looking down the crossroads leading to my future and feeling locked into choosing between giving up pre-emptively and deluding myself into believing something that isn't true.

I wish being made fun of or ignored as a writer was the worst thing I ever felt. As long as my internal world is at peace, I feel like I can survive anything and that I'm valuable as a person regardless of what any team of editors thinks about my months of hard work or even about me as a person. But if I invite people in just because I'm a fool and forget why I didn't before because it feels so natural to be caring, they inevitably shake it up and leave me feeling small, helpless, lost, ineffective, and unlovable.

Last edited: