do you think sex will cure your social phobia

Odo

Banned
I think it depends on the circumstances.

Just having a one night stand won't help but an ongoing relationship definitely makes you feel more valued. It also depends on whether you genuinely like the person or if you've settled because you don't want to be alone.

I would say that yes, having a sexual relationship with someone you like and who likes you back would go a long way towards 'curing' SA... for me it's easier to be confident if I'm not that creepy single guy who hasn't had a date in a loooong time and if you're with someone it makes you seem more normal and more desirable. Married people have far more value in the eyes of general society... but on the other hand, I think that being married to the wrong person would be the worst thing imaginable.

surewhynot

It's been said that for one to overcome his fears, he first has to face them. Hence, it does make sense that one who would gather the strength needed to put himself in the most intimate situation with another being, very well might free himself of his fear by doing so. Though, this has nothing to do with the mere act of sexual intercourse : it is only courage that can set you free.

SmileMore

I suppose it depends. I ended up getting used which just made my anxiety and self esteem issues worse. If you're lucky enough to meet somebody who cares about you it might be different. I haven't experienced that though.

mismeek

Its an awesome stress reliever. It boosted my self confidence because it was something that I was afraid to do but overcame. I still have problems having sex with new partners but I think everyone goes thru that.

I don't understand how this idea would enter someone's head in the first place. Sex cure social phobia, what? Old thread though.