do you only give compliments to people you have an interest in?

knowledgeofself

or do you try and be nice and give compliments to people you don't have any interest in?
I ask this because I tend to give compliments to all sorts of people. I figure sometimes people are just looking for a confidence boost or reassurance, to give them a compliment on how they look for example can help their self-esteem. the problem arises when people make assumptions that I am interested in something else by giving them a compliment.

truffleshuffle

I don;t give compliments to only people im interested in. Why do that? I mean yes some people may take it the wrong way and think your are pining for them but for me its nice to complement someone who deserves it no matter what.

OCDd

i just tend to give compliments, to anyone who deserves them, even if i dont really have interest in them. i usually am just jealous of something so i give them a compliment, idk its weird. but i feel like giving everyone a compliment now, so i hope everyone's day is going awesome! :)

xDreamseller

I don't give complements to anyone really. I would comment on how well someone is doing if they got a test result or did something important to them, but I wouldn't just say to someone "oh your hair is nice today" sort of thing. Just seems awkward to me...

SleepAllDay

I don't really give out random compliments. If someone I care about does something that genuinely impresses me, however, I will tell them. I feel like people will think I'm sucking up if I'm too liberal with compliments.

Nope

I generally don't give compliments to anyone, even if I think them or notice something I like, I won't say it out loud. It just feels too awkward in general.

JackOfSpades

I don't really give out random compliments. If someone I care about does something that genuinely impresses me, however, I will tell them. I feel like people will think I'm sucking up if I'm too liberal with compliments.

I'm trying to give better compliments and to start giving them to girls I like, again. I got in to the mindset that a lot of girls don't go for guys that compliment them. I'm not totally sold that's not true, but I don't think I want to be that guy on principle.

Nanita

I rarely give compliments, but it happens .. if someone is wearing something nice, I might tell em. But I don´t really compliment on peoples personality, like "you are a great person", even if I think they are, it´s just too awkward for me.

_Hope

If they're a nice person with nice qualities etc then I don't have much trouble giving anyone a compliment.. Welllll that's not entirely true, if they're incredibly good looking then I'd just evaporate into the wind lol. :shyness: :bigsmile:

InvisaLady

I don't give complements to anyone really. I would comment on how well someone is doing if they got a test result or did something important to them, but I wouldn't just say to someone "oh your hair is nice today" sort of thing. Just seems awkward to me...

I feel pretty much the same on giving them.
On the other hand , receiving them. On the rare occasion that I get complemented on something like appearance, I don't believe it. I think it's empty but they are trying to be nice.

coyote

i tend to have an interest in a great number of people, so i give compliments quite frequently

twiggle

Compliments to anyone who I feel deserves them.

I think it's only right that we should point it out when we like something about someone, or appreciate something they've done and said. There is too much negativity in the world sometimes. It's nice to make others feel good through genuine appreciation.

And no I don't just compliment people I'm interested in.

aNOTfox

Whenever I give compliments my voice goes really quiet, then people say "sorry, what was that?" so I have to repeat myself which is so awkward!! XD

xDreamseller

Same response from me as ForeverTheWeirdKid. Tried lying to my parents once as a kid...didn't work out and gave up on that approach haha.