Do you have bad memory loss?

Tamara89

Just discussed this with another SP member and noticed we both have terrible memory loss, short term and long term, especially losing childhood memories. Anyone else experiencing this? Could it be part of our illness?

MBinMN

Yes! I'm 41 and have tried to blame on just getting older but I've always had a terrible memory. I find people bringing up people I used to know or events in my past ..nothing just blank.

Tamara89

Exact same here, people bringing up things that you did or said and you just smile and nod.. I ask my partner the same question 50 times over because I don't remember asking him it. People around us need a lot of patience! ;)

Lacombe

This is one of my bigger issues. I have many many memories missing. My short term memory is also hopeless. I use my phone and post-it notes for everything.

neardeath

I use my phone calendar, too. Terrible memory loss at age 54. I pick up my computer and can't remember what I was going to look up. Mom has dementia but she is 90. I am not far behind . . .

Tamara89

Hmm definitely see a pattern here... have you guys always had a bad memory like me and MBinMN or just recently? I'm 23 and can't remember what I did yesterday so this is quite concerning for me :\

Tamara89

when people bring up stuff, i sometimes get into argument for telling them things didn't happen because i dont beleive them .___.

i have rarely any memories of my childhood they are gone, i tend to be very forgetful, dont remember names and faces except for recent people in my life, only clear memories are from bad things that happen recently and somewhat from before that pop in my mind randomly and make me feel like dying

Yep, I feel your pain!

Lacombe

This is one of my bigger issues. I have.......wait! Have I already posted in here!? ;)

I jest, but it can be that bad sometimes. If it wasn't for the suds in the shower, who knows how many times my hair would get washed for example.

Tamara89

Haha nice one ;) I guess there's nothing you can do, we should just have a good laugh about it otherwise we'd cry!

Nutbar

I have been wondering lately about my bad memory. I think you are right. At times I can't remember a person's name and I feel bad about it. My Dad also has social phobia and his memory is as bad as mine.

neardeath

This is one of my bigger issues. I have.......wait! Have I already posted in here!? ;)

I jest, but it can be that bad sometimes. If it wasn't for the suds in the shower, who knows how many times my hair would get washed for example.

I just noticed I am forgetting while in the shower if I have shampooed. That is a scary one. Am I just that preoccupied with my fearful thoughts? The stress about going to the grocery, doctor, etc? I am glad to know someone else is doing this as well.
:perfect:

There are statistical reasons why this is true if you have anxiety especially social anxiety. One is people who are prone to anxious genetically are also more apt to have memory related issues. reference
secondly social interaction improves memory learning and recall. reference
I would talk your physician or psychiatrist about if interferes with you life. I know without a notepad I can't remember to do specific things myself and it can exacerbate social anxiety to forget someone name or what you did on a specific day. I was asked by my boss how my weekend went I said "huh I can't remember". She took it tom mean I got intoxicated and couldn't remember but I don't drink or take illicit drugs. She thought I did and that's why I act a little off sometimes and the poor memory didn't help my case she found it amusing and not a reflection on my job performance so I didn't care.

Tamara89

Oh I hate that dreaded question "how was your weekend?" with my usual response "ummmmm...." But thanks for that input and references. Learning a lot from this website!

Richey

Yeah i use a note taker, have to write down alot of stuff instead. There is also an issue of conceptualising what is being said or what is being read, if its vague or cryptic then i'm lost. I think people with photo memory do a lot better in life academically and just generally. As depressing as that seems, i think it's the truth. Note taking is the only way i can really make any ground.

laure15

This is my opinion: I believe in reincarnation so everyone suffers from memory loss. Memories from past lives get wiped out each time we reincarnate.

Having SA also worsens memory loss, as someone has already said. There were times when I spoke with someone on the phone only to forget his/her name after the phone call. I am a fan of writing/typing things down so that I won't forget.

rosewood

just a thought here

anxiety cuts off ones ability to use higher level process in the prefrontal cortex, so one won't remember things so well. the cortisol that is produced when one feels anxiety also does the same sort of thing, as well as many other long term bad health effects on the rest of the body.

it is not surprising we have memory loss from this stress, then.

also, many people experience trauma in childhood but don't remember it due to the saving effect of amnesia. I am not saying everyone has this experience. just that it is common when someone has missing periods of time from childhood.