Do you have an ambition in life?

Carol

Do you have an ambition in life or something that you really want to accomplish? It can be any big goal, like a career goal (e.g., become a writer) or a charitable goal (e.g., save the animals) or anything that you really want to do with your life.

I have a theory that severe SA is connected to a lack of ambition in life. I think there are a lot more people in the world who have SA than we think. But they're able to manage it better than we do and don't let it ruin their lives because they're distracted by their bigger life goals and therefore they don't sit around contemplating their anxieties. I don't know if that's true for everyone or not. But I find that when I'm distracted by a goal or a deadline, I don't feel as socially anxious as I do when I have more time on my hands.

Interesting. I feel like I'm mostly in survival mode, just coping with each day as it comes and having only vague goals.

Edit: I'm prepared to argue that not being goal-focussed leaves a person open to realising that the world id full of wonder and surprises

Last edited:

Shant

Besides being a prolific composer/songwriter/musician one day, which I'm not convinced I'll get easily due to the music industry being typically difficult to enter, I don't really have one.

I don't know- maybe I'm in some kind of mild depression right now, but I just don't really seem to care about anything. I'll take care of the work I have now, I'm looking for an additional part-time job, I'm saving up to move out, etc... for the most part I have the present under control, but as for the future? It's nonexistent for all I care, I guess. Nothing really sounds interesting besides an unpromising, if fulfilling, musical career.

fitftw

I want my car to get a V8 swapped in but I'll never be that rich and I want to stop caring about petty things like that and being a good keytar player.

doubleM

i want to be an engineer and build things. im just afraid depression and all my problems are going to keep me from accomplishing it.

Bustn Justin

I def feel that my anxiety holds me from being ambitious since no matter what I do people won't appreciate it.

Now that I have a buddy to talk to I feel more confident that I can put on muscle, dance, and DJ. Just need to stick with it and find peeps who got my back to keep me motivated.

EscapeArtist

I want to find peace within and peace around me, share it with a community of people, then become a naturopathic doctor and help tons and tons of people find peace as well. Don't think SA is caused by lack of ambition but it can be prolonged by an inability to believe that you will get what you want from life.

mikebird

Banned
Carol

I feel the same.

I started life with a big amount of ambition installed. I got to certain point in my life where I was driven by the tiny successes I'd felt in my early life. Employment has been my worst disappointment, which I'm trying to get rid of. My ambition is right there, every day, but I despise the 'under the thumb' society of boss and worker we have. Nobody likes me and prepares to get rid of me. I don't think my technical capability is a problem at all - it might all be my social incapability, and that hurts.

I tend to start new threads on here, on random thoughts - I have a creative side, apart from being technical. I like to find out how many replies I get, as a guide to if I say the right things.
Please have a quick look at my recent post: Am I Barking Up The Wrong Tree?

Hottie

Ambition, i have big ambitions. My 2 previous qualifacation, as much as they mean alot to me thy wont really get me very far. To get myself further, i have to do another 4 years of Psychology, then 1 year masters in Criminalistics. As soon as i get my qualifications, goodbye country i live in hello new one! :)

I want to travelle and i plan to travelle next summer with good friends whoooooo cant wait...

After all that is sorted, my ambition is to have job satisfation and be a high earner. I want to own a brand spanking new while BMW (luv them!). I want a life with very little stress (had enoght in my life-time already thanking you v.much!!), i say little coz i need some to keep me on my toes!

I want a wedding with a beautiful husband who loves me as much as i love him. I want kids. I have the names picked out already ha!!! I think a lot of women have there ideas for their kids names! I want 2 houses. One where im in the city and one where its in the country so i can set off (in my white BMW) and relax with my prefect family!!!

Well, ambitions im not so sure, but life ^ i want that kinda life :p

Reality is a different thing though. But im still allowed to dream. And as of now, im reaching for my dreams :)

Kiwong

I have ambition, but with my anxiety trying to carry these through created even bigger problems and challenges. Going out into the world is hard for me, but I have achieved many ambitions regardless.

Carol

Thanks for your replies, everyone! Sounds like some of you have a lot of dreams and goals. Don't give up!!

divethruhaze

I have a theory that severe SA is connected to a lack of ambition in life. I think there are a lot more people in the world who have SA than we think. But they're able to manage it better than we do and don't let it ruin their lives because they're distracted by their bigger life goals and therefore they don't sit around contemplating their anxieties. I don't know if that's true for everyone or not. But I find that when I'm distracted by a goal or a deadline, I don't feel as socially anxious as I do when I have more time on my hands.

Interesting theory.

Oh, and my ambition is to conquer the world :cool:

Paahi

Interesting. I feel like I'm mostly in survival mode, just coping with each day as it comes and having only vague goals.

Edit: I'm prepared to argue that not being goal-focussed leaves a person open to realising that the world id full of wonder and surprises

This