Do you have a paid job?

cobalt_bluester

I work with my dad, me too my anxiety and insomnia gets in the way of getting a regular job, but with my education only 10$/hour jobs exist.

Good for you at least your are working and doing something, I am doing absolutely nothing! I just wish that society helped provide jobs for people with mental health problems I feel that it doesn't do nearly enough, and people all too often feel isolated and that nobody really cares about them.

nicole1

I took off for a while from school and work. I've done horribly on jobs. I am currently looking for full time employment.

Corrina

I am 28 years old and just got my first "real" job this February. I am a housekeeper in a nursing home and only work weekends because of my anxiety, so technically I still haven't had a real, full-time job yet.

I did not work for a long time because of my depression and social anxiety. I applied to various jobs over the years but none ever called me for an interview, so I got discouraged and gave up. My mom provided all my support and didn't fuss at me much about my not having a job (even though I'm sure she quietly resented me), so I didn't think it was that important, even though it was killing my self-esteem.

Now I'm almost 30 and scrubbing toilets for a living, because that's all I'm qualified to do, basically. I have no marketable job skills to speak of. None that would earn me a living wage, anyway. I earned an associate's degree last year, but that would be more useful to me as toilet paper right now. I am going back to college this fall to work on my bachelor's, and while there I hope to find internships so I can build my skills and experience. Just getting past the embarrassment and figuring out how to explain my lack of work history at my age is tough, and it's one other thing that kept me from searching for a job for so long.

Last edited:

jhanniffy

Yeah I slave in a nursing home at the weekend - love the work but really pissed off as I am also busting my ass in college as a nursing student and get paid **** at the weekend.

My brother dropped out of college and landed himself a job, no qualification, and gets paid more than me - I am so pissed!

I've had a job since i got out of school. I was a fireman and I have been a machinist since 2005. I run an engine lathe and sometimes a Bridgeport milling machine and I make stuff out of different kinds of metal and sometimes plastic. A short week for me is 40 hours, normal is 50+.

Amitush123

Used to have, but I always find those repetitive telephone jobs that drive me insane..
Next year I am going to finish bachelor's degree, hoping for the best..

Richey

I've had a job since i got out of school. I was a fireman and I have been a machinist since 2005. I run an engine lathe and sometimes a Bridgeport milling machine and I make stuff out of different kinds of metal and sometimes plastic. A short week for me is 40 hours, normal is 50+.

You have to be strong do be a lathe/mill operator. From the brief work i've done in the past. It was usually as a helper. I found the mechanical side of it too hard to learn in a noisy environment. Sensory overload and just a clusterf*^! of stuff going on. I suppose many places can be like that. So well done, i say. It takes a certain confidence to flourish in those places.

OwlJulie

"I've learned that all times we go out or visit at home, nobody ever says a word about 'their work'. I find that BIZARRE! I like to know what it is all about (when I was busy) but all this is hidden and avoided, as if they hate their work, or it's boring? To never discuss beyond the workplace. I don't get it."

I cant believe this. Where I am from, when I meet anyone, their first question is where do I work, what do I do for a living? It's annoying.

cobalt_bluester

I took off for a while from school and work. I've done horribly on jobs. I am currently looking for full time employment.

I'm looking for employment too but there are very few jobs out there that I feel I could do, and the ones that I can do seem to have alot of competition. Jeeze life is tough!!

You have to be strong do be a lathe/mill operator. From the brief work i've done in the past. It was usually as a helper. I found the mechanical side of it too hard to learn in a noisy environment. Sensory overload and just a clusterf*^! of stuff going on. I suppose many places can be like that. So well done, i say. It takes a certain confidence to flourish in those places.

It took me a long time, the environment its't great for learning I agree. I'm actually like maybe one notch under a Tool&Die Maker. It took me 5 years to be a Master Machinist. I'd rather make toys :) I hate my work. I don't exactly ''flourish'' at work, I stay all by myself. Too bad you ain't around me locally, I need another machinist at the plant.

Last edited: