do you have a medication horror story?

girliegoth_360

i had a really bad cold and took a bunch of benadryl before i got on the bus and i was sitting in class and my heart started to race really fast and it scared the poop outta me so i had my mom come and get me. After that i never took benadryl again.

doesit

Dont want to sound rude,but most stories here are of those who abuse drugs medicine and anything they come into contact with.Some people write here that drugs don't work,so does it take you 3 years,of taking horse doses of benzos or whatever to realize its not working and causes harm and dependence ? it takes weeks or month at most to realize if drugs work or not and what side effects they have,if not u speak with your doctor and make changes.But instead some yob decides to up the dosage,or try something new and gets hospitalized,its such people that put bad name on the drugs.

Quiet Angel

Just once...
Not that interesting...

I had an allergic reaction to the medication, so I broke out in a few rashes, particularly on my face. I could breathe perfectly fine but it really frightened me. I never had extreme depression/suicidal thoughts but this medication provoked it. I called the nurse who apparently was inexperienced and said: "The physical symptoms can show up right away but not the emotional. This is your first time taking it? Did you go through something recently that caused you to go through these emotions?" On the internet, other people had similar emotional reactions.

nafadda

if drugs make a person feel worse why do they take them..and please don't tell me because a DR told you to....Lots of Dr's get kickbacks from the big pharmacutical companies for how much they perscribe...The big Pharma companies are multi billion dollar industries...have you ever listened to some of the side effects they mention on the commercials..i mean WTF!!!if a med can make you want to "off" yourself or feel sick..when does common sense kick in and a person says this isn't working..sometimes i wonder if people like taking meds just so they can complain about how bad they feel from them or how many they are taking so they will have something to talk about(themself)...go outside for a F'n walk ..that will make you feel better then perscription drugs or being wasted,and you may even meet someone or actually enjoy it,,no wait..that would be way too easy!:rolleyes:

Davevanza

when I was on Carbamazepine 200mg at night for chronic headache, the psychiatrist put me on 75mg Effexor XR in the morning for my Panic disdorder.

Then, half an hour after taking effexor, I shivered, I got paraesthesia, grinding of teeth, trembling, ....I was in total panic.

later, my psychiatrist found out that both combinations could cause that.

Now I never even want to touch Carbamazepine for my chronic headache.

Depression Glass

Weirdest experience: Tegretol (carbamazepine) affected my sense of hearing. After about a week on it, one day I woke up and everything I heard sounded half a note lower than it really was. It was distressing to say the least. Everything sounded like a tape player running out of batteries. Music sounded absolutely terrible. Completely off-tune. I had to download a pitch-changer plugin for Winamp and adjust everything +0.7 notes just to be able to listen to anything.

I have read about only a couple other people who have had the same experience on that stuff, and "change in pitch perception" is listed as "very rare" (<0.01%) in the side effects. Bottom line: it was weird, unpleasant, and disorienting, but I'll admit it was also pretty interesting. I guess it affected my temporal lobes, just not in the way it was supposed to.

Interestingly, I'm on Trileptal (oxcarbazepine) now and have no side effects at all. Amazing that one little oxygen molecule tagged on can make such a difference.

Last edited:

Davevanza

Tegretol (carbamazepine) affected my sense of hearing. After about a week on it, one day I woke up and everything I heard sounded half a note lower than it really was. It was distressing to say the least. Everything sounded like a tape player running out of batteries. Music sounded absolutely terrible. Completely off-tune. I had to download a pitch-changer plugin for Winamp and adjust everything +0.7 notes just to be able to listen to anything.

I have read about only a couple other people who have had the same experience on that stuff, and "change in pitch perception" is listed as "very rare" (<0.01%) in the side effects

Well, i played keyboard in the church.
Exactly, as you said. There is a "change in pitch perception".

Kat

Wow!! Full body feeling of a 'numb waking up' that would be dreadful!! What a horrible experience that must have been. It really highlights the REAL effects of these drugs.

Horror story, Prozac! I had it prescribed about 2 years ago. I didn't notice any difference, except at first a slight 'zombie' feeling to the world and a sudden loss of appetite (the weight loss was nice). But then I began to get horribly suicidal. I didn't WANT to die, my head didn't want to die but my body wanted to kill me! My head and my body were different people, one a murderer. I had to call a friend over at one point, late in the night, because I thought it would happen. It was hard to explain, it's like something was guiding my body to kill myself, like I was under a spell. I started getting scary around my younger sister, telling her I'd kill myself if she did this or that. After I got off that ****, the feeling went away immediately. I looked up negative prozac stories, and I found one where there was a 30 year old business man who was put on prozac. The last thing he had said about prozac was that "His head and his body were different people" and that one wanted to kill him. He said this before he committed suicide!

Another time, I wasn't exactly prescribed it but I was taking oxycontin and vicodin for anxiety/depression reasons. I was using it every day for 2-3 months, and the withdrawal was the most horrible thing I have been through!

Yes, I had the suicidal tendencies whilst I was on prozac. At first I was extremely happy. I think I hallucinated a little as well because when I would wake up I saw a quick glimpse of spider falling from the ceiling and when I turned the light on it wasn't there, it happened several times whilst I was on prozac.

MollyBeGood

i stopped taking Paxil-THE supposed SA cure-all wonder drug...Not...as w/ almost all anti-depressants it murdered my sex-drive(how depressing!!!) and when i stopped taking it I had the worst most horrible auditory "hallucinations" noises that weren't there for 2 weeks...thought i was going nuts but i knew it was b/c i stopped cold-turkey. guess ur supposed to wean-off it but I ran out.

Cecilia219

There is a new medication called Viibryd. It was just approved. My doctor recently diagnosed me with chronic fatigue as a symptom of severe anxiety and ViiBryd (as the name sounds) is supposed to bring you a sense of renewed vitality. The first week, it worked. I didnt take naps for 6 days, my nightmares went away, and I stayed awake in class. I was happy & feeling things again.

The dosages are WAY TOO HIGH. It goes from 10->20 ->40 mg. After I switched to the 20 mg, I had diarrhea & couldnt sleep at night. The nightmares became CRAZY colorful and real. It was like I was living a whole other life in my sleep. The stories were insane, and this is coming from someone who remembers about 3-4 dreams A NIGHT. I was hallucinating when I woke up because I couldn't distinguish my dreams from my life. In one dream, I dreamed that my boyfriend was poking me but I couldnt wake up. Then I was convinced I was having a heart attack from trying to wake up. When I woke up I scream "Oh goodness (his name)!!" But he wasn't there. Now I am SLOWLY weaning myself off by taking the 10 mg. I am going to take slowly less and less by breaking the pill. I went off Lexapro too quickly about a year ago & still I have dizziness and shocks sometimes. Something with the serotonin imbalance.

Be careful! He gave me Wellbutrin to switch to. Has anyone tried this?

MaliceInWickedland

I had a pretty bad experience with Lexapro back in 2009. I was prescribed a 20 mg dosage for anxiety and depression and took it daily for about 3 months. Things were going pretty well at first, besides losing a bit of my appetite and being slightly more sluggish and fatigued than usual. About two weeks into using it, things stared to get crazy.

The first thing I noticed was my becoming extremely apathetic. It actually reached a point where I made people cry from how cold I was being. I don't remember much of the things I said to people but I do remember a particular moment when I said something to a good friend of mine at the time that drove her to smack me across the face in the middle of the schoolyard and storm off in tears.

After that my appetite continued to steadily decrease, although I started gaining weight on and off and then suddenly losing weight a bit too fast to be considered normal. My insomnia got a lot worse too and with what little sleep I got lead to very vivid and terrifying dreams that I can't even put into words. Most of the time it was difficult to differentiate between reality and my dreams. Like I would feel like I was awake but the things I saw simply couldn't be real. They were like visions from hell almost. The creepiest thing was whenever people would try to talk to me right after waking up I would see their faces all warped and disfigured. It was just freaky.

An old friend of mine was also taking Lexapro at the time and was going through similar, if not worse side effects. Me and her would discuss our side effects during lunch at school and I remember her always complaining about how she had difficulty achieving climax while being intimate with her boyfriend. I didn't have a boyfriend at the time and I've never been intimate with anyone so I certainly wouldn't know about that, but I could relate to her other side affects though like insomnia, vivid dreams, hallucinations, loss of appetite, unbalanced weight loss and gain, etc, as I mentioned before.

Me and her also had biology together at the time and I remember the day when she fell asleep in the middle of class and suddenly woke up screaming bloody murder and started to violently fight off the teacher like she was going to kill her or something. It really freaked me out because I knew it was the Lexapro's doing so when I got home I told my mom about it and she immediately threw the Lexapro out and refused to take me back to the psychologist. Instead she started taking me to see this lady she met at work that used to work as a physical therapist. Thankfully I didn't go through any withdrawals from the medication and that lady helped regulate my metabolism and sleeping cycle which were all left seriously out of whack by that godforsaken medication.

So after reading all of that, please heed my advice: if your psychologist (or anyone for that matter) prescribes you Lexapro, burn it. It will completely destroy your world and throw you into one of emotional, mental, and physical demise.

Last edited:

Mikeyz

Yea, I think my doctor has tried me on every med out there. The one that worked and changed me completely was Wellbutrin (Bupropion), but the effects only lasted two month and then it was back to my old hide in my room, self again. Those two months were the best of my young adult life though. I totally felt like a normal person again, and that I could go anywhere and do anything. People did not scare me one bit anymore. I had the major urge to go back to school and finish getting my degree in electronics and to go out and find that special girl that I could fall in love with. I could talk on the phone like it was nothing to, which I was terrified of before. But after those two months everything feel apart and I'm now back to being miserable. I wish it would have lasted I want that feeling I had all the time. One medication I took that my mom use to be on for her panic caused me to go crazy and try and kill myself. I just didn't want to live anymore. It was very scary, and that's why I hate trying new meds. One made me feel like I was going to have a heart attack even.