Do you go away on holiday/vacation?

nightcrawler

I haven't been away on a holiday for just over 20 years! :eek: The last time I went was with my family, in my late teens. Even though there are loads of places I'd like to go, I am too self-conscious to go away on my own. What few friends I have now go with their partners/own families. I hate it at work when you have had a week or so off with annual leave - especially in the summer - and when you go back everyone asks "did you go away?", and every year it's the same answer..."no" ::(:

missjesss

Banned
hey nightcrawler

I can't really say that Ive gone away on my own but my sister has she went down south for 5 days on her own and she really enjoyed it!

I know it's harder for people like us but I guess thats why we have to just go and not think about it what have u got to loose? ur going to sacrifice a nice holiday for yourself because you are worrying about other people judging you? thats silly I think you might actually enjoy yourself :) Have you tried to ask one of your mates if they would go with you? I plan to go to Phuket with my bf and maybe my sister and her partner in September I know I need a holiday too ;/ but you should DEFF DO IT!! :)

nightcrawler

hey nightcrawler

I can't really say that Ive gone away on my own but my sister has she went down south for 5 days on her own and she really enjoyed it!

I know it's harder for people like us but I guess thats why we have to just go and not think about it what have u got to loose? ur going to sacrifice a nice holiday for yourself because you are worrying about other people judging you? thats silly I think you might actually enjoy yourself :) Have you tried to ask one of your mates if they would go with you? I plan to go to Phuket with my bf and maybe my sister and her partner in September I know I need a holiday too ;/ but you should DEFF DO IT!! :)

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately what my idea of a holiday is compared to what my mates want are 2 different things. I'd rather go sightseeing/exploring etc, whereas my mates would rather sit on a beach all day then go clubbing & getting drunk at night :rolleyes:

Rembrandt Broam

I go on holiday as often as I possibly can. :) I'd go insane if I didn't have holidays to look forward to. I hate if I have time off from work and I just spend it at home, because I feel like I've just wasted that time. (Unless it's something like Christmas or Easter.)

Kathryn.fr

I go to my dads, he lives in the mountains in Oregon. I don't go to see him though usually. It's just a place that gets no cell service and very little electronical devices and I liked to detatch from that stuff so I can go collect my thoughts hehe. I do that every few months for a couple weeks, go back to the city clear minded. :)

T T T

Yeah, but I really struggle to enjoy it. It seems impossible to enjoy spending so much time doing things that involve people for a week or so.

Kiwong

I regularly go on holidays, always on my own. I call them my running adventures, and I enter races all over the country. I prefer to do these idependently, except for the interaction with other runners during the race. I don't need to sahre these experiences, in fact it detracts from my experience.

nightcrawler

I go to my dads, he lives in the mountains in Oregon. I don't go to see him though usually. It's just a place that gets no cell service and very little electronical devices and I liked to detatch from that stuff so I can go collect my thoughts hehe. I do that every few months for a couple weeks, go back to the city clear minded. :)

This sounds like heaven to me :)

I couldn't go on any trip alone. On top of being afraid, I'd be incredibly lonely.
I'd assume if you can actually talk to people, you might make a few friends along the way. But I'm just not any good at that.
I don't know how any of you do it.

Richey

I think all of this depends on your situation and environment, i mean you can be shy or have SA but maybe your family environment makes it easier for someone to go away, i'm sure there are families that have holiday houses and this makes people used to going away. Perhaps you have a younger of mind and more adventurous sort of family who act younger and like to travel and can really afford it. For me i wouldn't mind going alone but i have this issue with swimming, i can swim on my own in the ocean but i have a fear of swmming in pools because i had a problem learning to swim in pools at a young age in the deep end. In the ocean i am more comfortable.

i think travelling can be more of a hobby if you earn enough to save the money to go away regularly. I have this home-body nature that keeps me from travelling much. I'm sure if i had a friend who liked travelling i'd come along.

nikkixo

my family owns a house by the lake so i go there pretty often cuz its only a couple of hours away. aside from that i haven't been on an actual vacation in 10 years. i don't think i could ever travel alone though, i can't even go to the store by myself.

Tiercel

I'm actually going away from Sunday to Tuesday. My parents wanted to go camping at Assateague before it gets too hot, and they invited me and my sister. So we'll be one dune from the ocean, and wild horses might snoop around our site while we're asleep. Life could be worse.

Of course, I never take trips by myself. But if others invite me along, and it sounds fun, why not?

Josette

Yes, I go away on vacations--alone.

Hi, everyone. This is my first post. I've been having some pretty dark thoughts, and some googling led me to this site.

I'm actually here because of a vacation I just went on. I've gone on several vacations over the years alone, and while I've always found it depressing, it was never as bad as this trip. Every day eating alone, buying one ticket to museums, tourist attractions, theatres, etc. I couldn't take it anymore. I think it really hit me for the first time that it would always be like this.

I got kind of hysterical (sobbing for hours in my hotel room) and in desperation, I emailed my therapist which is something I've never done before in 10 years of seeing her. That ended up being pointless, and now I just feel hopeless.