Do you feel pleasure in inflicting pain unto others?

boosh

no, i get worried when i think i've hurt someone's feelings because i think they will dislike me. but i can be deliberately harsh to people who i find irritating and annoying

Pookah

I do on occasion snap at people and such when angry or frustrated but I don't get any pleasure out of it, its simply I can't contain it, like lava exploding and pouring from a volcano. Afterward I will feel bad about it because I never want to make other people feel hurt. Scary things happen in the world because people take pleasure in taking their anger out on others.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I don't like hurting others, but when I'm too angry I can do and say really crazy things out of impulse. I feel like sh*t afterwards... When it comes to nasty people, it's a different story. I can be a mean, cold bastard then.

Last edited:

awkwardamanda

Occasionally I will just snap and smack somebody if they piss me off. I don't want to. I'll feel bad after, but then I find it incredibly difficult to apologize for anything (except for minor things like accidentally bumping into somebody or something). It does feel good to let out anger by throwing things and slamming doors though. I bottle everything up for so long that every now and then I just explode. I've got a pretty nasty temper.

Tiercel

I don't find pleasure in making others suffer, but I'm a firm believer in both the "do unto others" way of treating people and the "eye for an eye" form of punishment. So I always do my best to be kind and fair to others, but have no hard feelings about people having to suffer exactly what they've done to others.

Here's an example. A few days ago someone hanged a dog on a playground in Philadelphia. Yes, animal abuse really pisses me off, but I'm not really mad at the guy who did it. But given the chance, I'd string him up without so much as a second thought. No anger, no hatred. Just a "you like to hang living things? Well, here you go" sort of attitude.

Of course my parents raised me well enough that I'll never actually do things like that. But the fact that I can think of things like that in such a cold, detached way really worries me sometimes. Aren't serial killers the ones that feel no remorse and have no qualms about killing people? But at other times I think I'm just worried too much over nothing again, as I've done naught but (mostly) good things to others for my 29+ years.

Again, I'm thinking too much into something.... AAAHHHHH!!!

:eek:

dottie

like most above commenters i don't feel pleasure inflicting pain on others but i do snap out of frustration. if i feel vulnerable i will act cold solely as a coping mechanism. never because i enjoy it.

EscapeArtist

Chair, I like your username and picture combination. Both have a very lifeless quality.
-applaud-
Growing up in a family where I was the peace-maker from a very young age in everyday fights, I understand the urge to upset others when one feels like ****. On the other hand, being on offense is not the role i'm used to, i'm more suited for defence (defending others, not necessarily myself). I think I get the same adrenaline rush that you're mentioning during the process of watching others argue in a hot rage, but I do not have the need to put any others down for my own purpose... My self worth is too low for that

Last edited:

mrb

no i dont and never have :) but iv put a few blokes on there asses who have tried to push me around lol ;)

Anger is a monster I've been burying for a very long time. I don't think much good would come from it when I'd express it fully. When calm, or just angry at myself I don't like to hurt people at all, hate it in fact.

But when people start pushing intensely and a glimpse of that buried anger comes to the surface, I have to concentrate allot to keep it at bay. It's not an aggressive anger, and not dangerous for random people. Just a very intense feeling of dark and evil hatred. It's just dangerous for people whom have really wronged me unspeakably in the past.

But to answer your question directly; No, I don't get pleasure out of hurting people.

Last edited:

Tiercel

It's not an aggressive anger, and not dangerous for random people. Just a very intense feeling of dark and evil hatred.

When I tried Paxil as a teenager, this was the only response I had to it. And frankly, it scared the sh*t out of me. Several times something stupid and mundane set me off, and boy did I flip out. My clearest memory is the feeling of the blood surging up my neck and wondering if I was going to lose control in the next second and do something I would regret.

An unexpected bonus: any time something starts to piss me off I remember that feeling and take a break for a while. Because I hope with every fiber in my being that I never have to feel that way again.

Oh, and because of reactions similar to mine and others, certain drugs now carry black box warnings in the US. And some are now not recommended for teens. Silly things, those changing hormones.

:D