Do you ever feel like your daily routine is meaningless?

Tomasso

Apart from school and studying, the majority of my day is spent on internet forums. Pretty much all my leisure time is.

On these forums I get into arguments pretty often and I try and prove the other person wrong. Then yesterday I realized just how pointless it was. Who cares how many thumbs up my argument got compared to the other guy? Like what's the point besides boosting forum status, which is equally meaningless... I feel incredibly burned out from arguing online and Im really sick of it.

Then apart from that, I talk to my girlfriend on the phone several times a day. She lives 500 miles away and I see her once a month. She's my only friend and the only person in this world who cares about me besides my family.

But yeah, basically exhaustive forum arguing interspersed by girlfriend phone calls.

Do you have a mundane daily routine too? Share it with me.

MikeyC

Then apart from that, I talk to my girlfriend on the phone several times a day. She lives 500 miles away and I see her once a month. She's my only friend and the only person in this world who cares about me besides my family.
Is there any way you could meet her? That would certainly break your mundane routine.

Tomasso

I could in theory, but gas is too expensive and I don't have a job. We also use skype pretty frequently.

MikeyC

I could in theory, but gas is too expensive and I don't have a job. We also use skype pretty frequently.
Could you take a flight? Or is that not enough distance? I'm assuming you'd love to go over there and see her so thinking of a way to do so would be great. :)

Tomasso

It's a 5-6 hour drive and I couldn't afford a plane ticket. We see each other once a month, my parents give me money to pay for gas but they won't give me more than that.

MikeyC

Well, once a month is still pretty good but I can imagine you would get a bit fidgety after not seeing her for a while.

gustavofring

Internet use during leisure time is draining. You're constantly PROCESSING information. You're being a consumer of "snackfood" information. It's not like a book where information is carefully spread out over the course of many pages and you can really absorb the information. Internet-stuff goes in, and goes out.

It's definately something that must be used in moderation. It's very easy to become "lost" on the web for hours and hours and at the end of it you wonder what the hell you've done with your days and kind of feeds your depression.

I've learned that if I feel like this, I try to focus my energy on doing something myself, something that has purpose (make a drawing, write a story, set up a businessplan, learn to program, learn a language, go swimming, go running, whatever you feel like) and I feel much better. You have purpose and don't feel like time is wasting away with silly nonsense. It's difficult to snap out of that apathic consumerism though. Internet is addictive, I'll be the first to admit that, especially when there's absolutely no control over it but your own self-control.

If you do something USEFUL though, it feeds your soul. You can take pride in having done something productive. Something you can perhaps show to others and talk about passionately.

Last edited:

Agent_Violet

I think that if a lot of time is spent on forums arguing, it's good to take several "time out" moments throughout the day. I never really fought online but I was spending a lot of time online til i realized I needed to start focusing on other things.
The problem is, I'm not interested in much so it's a daily struggle to get engrossed in something that isn't online.

But,once you find things to focus on, you won't even notice you're not online and you'll feel better too.

My routine is mundane but it isn't meaningless anymore. I get up,go to my job that i hate but don't complain about because at least it's work,get home and spend the rest of the evening OFF the computer and paying attention to my doggy:)

Gaucho

id like to do other things than being on the internet, but having no friends sucks big, and doing things alone like I normally do also only feeds my depression.

i wouldn't complain finding a friend for once:)

Iluv

My daily routine. You ready for this?
Wake up.
Realize it's a school day.
Get up.
Look at calendar.
Say "meh" and not go.
Call best guy friend and prank call him.
20 minutes later shows up at front door.
Run away out window and he finds me.
Then we go get lunch.
Fun, eh?

Last edited:

Tomasso

My daily routine. You ready for this?
Wake up.
Realize it's a school day.
Get up.
Look at calendar.
Say "meh" and not go.
Call best guy friend and prank call him.
20 minutes later shows up at front door.
Run away out window and he finds me.
Then we go get lunch.
Fun, eh?

hahahaha, yeah that's the kind of small stuff I miss in my life. I can't remember doing stuff like that since the end of middle school and through high school. No coincidence I consider those years by far the best of my life in terms of social fulfillment.