Do you enjoy doing nothing?

Kat

Sometimes but not for long periods, I am a person that needs to stick to a schedule, I get depressed and feel guilty if I don’t do things after awhile. I have to catch myself at times because I can become stuck in a rut and lack the motivation to do things I need to be doing. I like it from time to time but it is unhealthy for me to do nothing.

Kat

lol, Maybe we will need to add shaving our heads to our womanly rituals ::p:

Lorraine Manca

How do you know they're happy?

well granted, i dont think china makes them very happy, that aside

short answer: they have beautiful smiles!

long answer: they follow a religion based on finding happiness instead of having it theocentric. i dont even know if thats a word. so.. then it follows theyd stop doing it if it didnt work because there is no other motivation for following those practices. (even truth is overrated if theres no god in the picture)

coherent answer:

1. goal of tibetan buddhism= freedom from suffering/happiness
2. if sitting for long periods of time doing nothing does not=happiness
3. they wouldnt do it!

vs. religions with god figures where the point really is to serve god, not yourself so religious practice is not meant to achieve happiness but heavenly rewards at some later point, sucks huh?

i could be wrong! go with the short answer!

Last edited:

Kat

Yeah, I am not sure what philosophies people use to be happy or if they are even truly happy. I would like to know a happy person and have their secrets and views on life. It may just be all pretence but what-ever the case, I think usually if religion is behind their happiness you can never know for sure if it’s something they genuinely feel or something they partake in and say their happy to promote following their beliefs.
In other words false advertising.

I would say most people that achieve happiness follow the theory ignorance is bliss.

Lorraine Manca

Yeah, I am not sure what philosophies people use to be happy or if they are even truly happy. I would like to know a happy person and have their secrets and views on life. It may just be all pretence but what-ever the case, I think usually if religion is behind their happiness you can never know for sure if it’s something they genuinely feel or something they partake in and say their happy to promote following their beliefs.
In other words false advertising.

I would say most people that achieve happiness follow the theory ignorance is bliss.

i think you're right, every religion has people who cling to beliefs out of desperation rather than sincere devotion. the thing is though, the religions out there are really entirely different from each other, with more differences than similarites from what i can tell. especially if you strip off the common social messages, the idea (or ideas) that drives each belief system is unique. which is really amazing because you would assume people are basically alike and would develope different varieties of the same thing(feel good stuff) regardless of their culture and nationality. but i dont think that happened. i imagine different ideas make different people "happy" or at peace with the way things are.
either way,its a fun thing to think about

philly2bits

I'd rather have nothing to do then have a day jammed full of things to do. Having too much to do would stress me out. Ideally though I would want a middle ground. I'd want to do things, but not so much they take all day.

davidburke

i like to stare at the night sky. does that count as nothing? i do it for hours even when its frezzing cold outside. am i crazy or what::p:

Lorraine Manca

i enjoy pulling out my leg hairs with tweezers. i think its neat how it slides out of the skin. everybody's got to have a hobby

iamthenra

Nope... I hate having nothing to do. My mind wonders off into some forbidden / taboo thoughts of lust and sex that will only make me even more depressed than I already am. I need things to preoccupy my mind all the time... Testosterone is evil.... I think it should be banned! :D

Krista

No, I don't like having nothing to do. It drives me crazy. If I need something to do I love cleaning or I'll just have to go out.