Do you avoid people you know?

MollyBeGood

I do that a lot, like whenever I see people I know I always tend to look the other way pretending I didn't notice them. Its not becoz I don't like them or anything I'm just scared to go & talk. People think it as other way though, my friend was telling me today how my classmates think that I'm too proud or selfish cos I never talk to them or smile when we come across each other. But that's not the case at all, its just very hard for me. Does anyone else feel like this? (sorry if I couldn't explain what I wanted to say lol)

yeah I do this a lot-I try hard not too though.
I have to make an effort to want to engage in any kind of small talk with people I know::(:

Mr.Prez

yeah all the time :( whenever I see someone I know I always get nervous for some reason and it get's so bad I do all I can to avoid that person. I wish it's something I can control

Lostinthemusic

I do this all the time. Either that or I am friendly when I see them but never actually make an effort to see them elsewhere. Like you said, not because I don't want to but because I'm scared to. I just realized yesterday that the circle of people around my old roommate probably thinks I'm a huge ***hole for never actually hanging out with them even though the man himself is just a few blocks away. His girlfriend had a friend that actually liked me too, but I essentially ignored her. We communicated exclusively through text message because I didn't know how to talk to her in person. I left her hanging and I can see how that looks to them like I'm just an a**. But that isn't what I wanted or meant to do, I just couldn't explain that I don't know how to deal with dating. I can barely handle the social aspects of my own house, there is no way I could have launched myself into another social circle.

I find silence more comfortable and more preferable than awkward conversations I don't know how to participate in.

Sometimes it feels like people don't really realize there are introverts out there. And they clearly don't know how to handle them.

Kiwong

The town in which I live is uncomfortably small. If I am feeling anxious I will not want to bump into anyone, or if I see them pretend not to notice them.

Nl54

"I feel less anxious around people I don't know when I actually have to be around them, for instance in college."

I thought I was the only one who becomes less comfortable around people the MORE I get to know them. It may be because there is less pressure with people you don't know. When you get to know someone a little, eventually they are going to start inviting you to their house, events, parties, etc, and your going to have to start making up excuses why you can't go.

nicole1

People always thought I was stuck up or mean but it wasn't the case. Well, sometimes it was. But I knew I was awkward and said the wrong thigns so I avoided people. Now, I avoid them out of....habit. It's awkward, I feel uncomfortable, I avoid certain people.

milo001

I do that a lot, like whenever I see people I know I always tend to look the other way pretending I didn't notice them. Its not becoz I don't like them or anything I'm just scared to go & talk. People think it as other way though, my friend was telling me today how my classmates think that I'm too proud or selfish cos I never talk to them or smile when we come across each other. But that's not the case at all, its just very hard for me. Does anyone else feel like this? (sorry if I couldn't explain what I wanted to say lol)

I have been a social hermit for 2 years since I quit college and I avoid crowded places like mall,cinema,food court and etc.Whenever I went to crowded places I would be so scared that I would meet people I know and the anxiety being in the crowded places makes it worse.

Lord_Spotface

If I know them well I'll usually say hi, but if they're just some random that I ran into when drunk and their face ticks my memory box, I don't usually bother.

sucettes

I'm exactly like this!!! I find it harder to talk to people I know than to people I don't know. :confused: