Do meds work ?

Clown

im gonna try meds, but do they really work , because new research indicates that its just the ''placebo'' effect and is doing more damage then good.

TheSanctuarian

im gonna try meds, but do they really work , because new research indicates that its just the ''placebo'' effect and is doing more damage then good.

Personally I HATE taking meds, it makes me feel as though my body is incapable of sorting its own problems out. however the placebo effect can't do any wrong because placebos' are just sugar pills.

Section_31

Medication CAN help, but it isnt for everyone.

My wife and me are both on meds, im on welbutrin, and she is on citalopram. Its worked wonders for both of us. Now, that said, just because it works for some does NOT mean it will work for everyone. Medication just doesnt work on everyone.

depending on what your taking, you may notice a "brain fog" for 3 or 4 days, maybe a little more. Just hang on, that will pass. I had it occur and man was it wierd, it was so difficult to think. But once it passed i felt totally normal, my depression was MUCH less present, and even my anxiety was considerably less.

It doesnt make things go away completely, but for me it makes things WAY more managable. I would much rather take 1 pill a day, be able to control myself, and live a semblence of a life without such intense anxiety, rather than not take them, but thats just me, and only you can make the choice thats right for you. And really, the only way to tell if it will work for you is to try it and see i think.

If your head feels foggy or wierd, dont quit taking them yet, give it about a week and a half and see how you feel. it can sometimes take that long for your brain chemistry to adjust.

nothingtofear

well, they work for something, they do something. Yeah, often they do more harm than good, often they can help a lot too. I mean of course it's going to depend on what you're taking, what you're taking it for and want to get out of it... but also just on how you personally react to that medication.

vexatiousmind

^ what lonegunman said.

Except it way take a month or two to adjust to medicine. That's about how long it takes me.
My head stays foggy for about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks.

It also may take several trys to find the right medicine for you, so just because one didn't help doesn't mean that all won't.

EDIT: there are usually side affects, yes. So it is up to you whether or not the pros outweigh the side effects.

Last edited:

nothingtofear

in my personal experience, drugs have done some wonderful things for me (LOL) but also some not so wonderful things. I find the more useful something is, the more harmful it can be. The less harmful it is, the less it does... but it's always going to be specific case by case, it's not like those two factors are directly and only correlated to each other - sometimes the trade off is worth it and sometimes it isn't - for some people, there's tremendous benefit and little to no down side.

nothingtofear

I don't know anything about your local policies but the way UK healthcare is portrayed in media, I would have thought any drugs a physician thinks you can use would cost you little to nothing.

sucettes

I'm on Fluoxetine. They help against my depression but doesn't take away my anxiety at all.....

nothingtofear

I'm on Fluoxetine. They help against my depression but doesn't take away my anxiety at all.....

although that can help with anxiety, being an SSRI that's not really it's primary job, is it? I'm guessing it was prescribed more for your depression than anything else... if you do want something for your anxiety, you might want to talk to your doc about an anxiolytic but I'd stay off them if you don't think you need it (benzos in particular are very easy to become dependent on)

Lccska

I'm on medications and they probably saved my life. I take an antidepressant and 2 antianxiety meds. I can function fully in Society, with an occasional problem. The only side effect I have is a dry mouth. THAT I can live with. Terror and panic I can't.

Madix

no medication never works (permanently)...its only a band-aid for a deep wound. you need to find the source of your problem and attack it. if you have an anxiety problem and your afraid of talking to people....just listen to your heart (not your mind)...whats going on in there? why are you afraid?

listen, I was the WORSE SP on the planet, as I saw it...and now I am not.

there is only ONE real way to kick this habit.
and it is defiantly NOT medication.
or drugs.

talk to me.

MollyBeGood

3 months. still going strong and improving everyday.

check this out! im leading a study class in front of 15 people today!!

so to answer your question, ive dramatically improved. only god.

Good for you. Religion isn't the answer for everyone but if it worked for you that's great. Too many try to force their religious beliefs on others and I think that is very wrong. Not everyone's path is the same in this world no matter what you may believe or want others to believe.

Madix

狼;489825 said:
Good for you. Religion isn't the answer for everyone but if it worked for you that's great. Too many try to force their religious beliefs on others and I think that is very wrong. Not everyone's path is the same in this world no matter what you may believe or want others to believe.

I agree with you on the statement that everybody's believes are not the same believes. but not everybody's believes are all relativistically true. the believe that everybodys beliefs are true to each individual means that i could believe that elvis is the president of the united states which would be true to me if i believed in it. but thats obviously not true at all. so if not everyones beliefs are TRUE only one thing is true. personally, i believe its jesus christ. but thats what i believe. but no, i would never FORCE my faith on somebody else. if one is to reject the gospel, it is their free-will in order to do so. going back to truth...you see that in saying that i dont have the right to impose my beliefs, you are imposing your beliefs on me, by telling me what i shouldn't do.....

but listen...this is no matter of debate. truth is absolute...beliefs are relative.

Last edited:
It depends what you mean by 'work' I was put on a concoction of antidepressants, sleeping tablets and anti anxiety pills when i was 19 for PTSD and I hated it. They did what they were meant to do. I stuck with it for a few months. I felt like I was taking tablets to trick my brain into thinking everything was ok which essentially was what was happening. It's different for everyone. I couldn't handle not being able to feel what I knew I was feeling but was being blocked.(I don't know how to better describe that sorry) In my case I didn't need to block everything I needed to work things out in my head, process. My social anxiety is a learned behavior so for me it was and is about re-educating myself.

I was always afraid of taking meds. I've always avoided them altogether. However I DO take meds, but they're more for recreational use and to mask my social anxiety tendencies.

Section_31

I think for some, S/A is genetic, and for others it can be learned, or it can be a combo of both.

Id say i would be option C, my wife too. I know many who have completely outgoing relatives who have no history of mental illness in the family, but quite a large number of them say they had what they percieved to be harsh criticisms from parents, or bad experiecnes with other kids growing up, or any number of things that "taught" them per se, this fight or flight response.

In my case, my mom is nuts, as in not-safe-to-be-around-other-people nuts. She was instituitionalized after attackling my dad and 2 police officers one night. Due to brain chemistry, and her mother had smiliar problems.

Luckily im nowhere near that unstable, but i used to have severe emotional instability, but was very good at hiding it.

My medications have helped me tremendously.

PhantomPod

I wonder this myself. I am really at the point where I think I am going to speak with a therapist and talk about my options for an anti-anxiety medication.

I have read a number of books to help build my confidence and overcome my anxiety, and although I have made progress, I'm still not where I want to be. So, I'm at the point where I think I need help and I might try to find a therapist to talk to and inquire about meds.