Do I have any chance??

Ok this is just an idea...

What are my chances of moving from the states to australia?

I'm not quite "rich" (middle class)
I'm still working on getting my high school equivalency
I have absolutely no family in australia

I just think it would be extremely hard to do it on my own.

I think it would be nice to get away from the madness here!!!

coyote

I would recommend a plane or boat. Cars and trains would be considerably more difficult.

DanFC

Well, why don't you find out what's hot in the job market over there currently, and after getting your HS equivalency go to a community college for several years for whatever program would fit best with what's making money over there.

And there is madness everywhere. But I know what you mean. Whenever I go to Ecuador I have like none of the social problems I do here, but then again I have cultural ties back there so I don't know if you could get that feeling if you moved somewhere else without having any familial or cultural ties to the area.

Krista

I'd love to do the same thing, you're not alone :)

Even if it was just to move to another state I feel I couldn't do it on my own and you want to go to Australia. I think you could though! It might take longer than you'd like it to, maybe a long term goal once you have enough money saved up and finish what you need to. If you start deciding you really want to and go for it you'll be my hero. I'm too afraid to venture out on my own somewhere just yet.

coyote

Haha! to move to australia of course! I just think I'm too poor...

Years ago, I looked into going to school there, but my life took a different course.

I think you have to get a visa. There are travel visas, but they're only good for a short time. Otherwise you can get work or school visas. For a work visa, you'd have to get a job that couldn't be filled by an Australian citizen.

I'm not sure if that's accurate - hopefully someone from Australia will respond when they've woken up down there.

Good luck!

mads

If you can get a job there and by that a visa, then there should be no problems. Else you could try to apply for a working holiday visa. It is 1 year.

Visa Options - Working Holiday - Visas & Immigration

I'd love to do the same thing, you're not alone :)

Even if it was just to move to another state I feel I couldn't do it on my own and you want to go to Australia. I think you could though! It might take longer than you'd like it to, maybe a long term goal once you have enough money saved up and finish what you need to. If you start deciding you really want to and go for it you'll be my hero. I'm too afraid to venture out on my own somewhere just yet.

Oh it's my dream to do the most extreme! I think it's the only way to cure my SA. Yeah I can't even do things on my own here! but I want that to change soon...

BlackKids

I moved to a different country when I was 16 (family decision) so I know how hard it can be, Id say its hard enough fitting in without SA.

I wouldn't know anything about the logistics (personally I wouldnt mind trying Oz out for awhile) but I hope it wouldnt be "the grass is greener on the otherside" affair.
I do off a few people (mainly tradesmen) who have gone down under. Seems to be where all the work is at the minute

Newtype

There's a French Canadian girl who liked anime songs so much, her dream was to move to Japan to be an anime song singer. Now, if someone heard her say that, they would think she's crazy and it's impossible because she's a foreigner, but nah. She didn't listen to anyone and now she's a famous singer. If she was able to do that, you definitely can go to Australia and do whatever you dream of doing there. If you're curious about her, just search for her stage name, Himeka, on YouTube. Or just go here: http://www.youtube.com/user/HIMEKAMediaArchive

market.garden

I guess just find out what kinda skills they need over in Australia. Their immigration system is pretty tough I think

market.garden

One of my friends moved there for a year and worked in a bar somewhere in Melbourne, said it was amazing. The people are meant to be really friendly.

market.garden

Yeah? That's where I want to go. I heard people are more laid-back...but idk

Yeah that's what I've heard too. Although most people are laid back compared to the Brits :D

Have you checked the Aussie immigration website? They'll probably have information on what to do if you're looking to move.

Apple Strudel

OMFG!!! I am the same as you OP! Thanks for making this thread!!

Anyways, i'm in the same condition as you as I am not from a well-off family and have no one overseas, at least in Australia. I have my father at Indonesia though but sadly, I don't think I want to live in a country with such harsh environment.

Also, i'm planning to take up some culinary skills...at least that's what they are looking for, someone with a trade and what's more, I want to do it all before I turn 30 as I could get as much immigration points as I can.

I've always have a passion for food, so hopefully I could fulfill these in a few years time....well, at least there's a hope and my family is urging me to move out of the house asap :( But I have social anxiety and everything, I wonder is it possible since I'm currently taking on a fast food job at the kitchen end and well, could say I am really stressed up and things...

Erms, please pardon me any messed up sentences as i'm really tired right now...it's 5.50am here...and sry if i seem to hijack your thread but I do really understand about the laid back part and wanting to get away...it's getting stressful in my country too...

Last edited: