Did you have trouble sleeping as a child?

Emma22w

Did anyone stay up in bed during the late hours of the night constantly being afraid of the dark, or things that might be in the dark? For example, i use to sleep with my mother when i was little because of limited space in the house, and i would always want her to put her arm around me so i could feel safe. I always feared different things and sometimes i'd even nudge her to make sure she wasnt asleep before me.. i also use to get paranoid and have anxiety about different things. I worried alot as a child.

philly2bits

I wasn't afraid of the dark, but I did need something like a Tv or radio on in the background so I could get to sleep. I still need something to this day. It doesn't have to be a Tv or radio though any longer. The sound of rain, the hum from a refrigerator, anything so long as it's not absolutely silent.

Emma22w

My problem wasn't that i couldnt sleep, it was just my anxiety keeping me awake. I would hide under the covers to the point where i'd sweat massively.

Helyna

It sounds like you had generalized anxiety. Trouble sleeping is a big effect of anxiety. Do you still have trouble? Did you try listening to music? A lava lamp can help some people - it offers light, and it's kind of hypnotic.

I used to be scared that the house would burn down when my parents were out for a night, even though I had a babysitter to take care of me.

Anomaly

My mom said I was a bit of an insomniac when I was a little kid. Now I have full-blown insomnia at times.

mrb

id like to sleep for a thousand years wake up and see if this worlds changed .... probably not , so id just go back to sleep again zzzzzzzzzz :rolleyes:

Noca

Banned
I used to sleep soundly and would wake up feeling refreshed. Now it takes forever for me to fall asleep and when I do wake up I'm just exhausted all day.

I do remember as a young child that I would never let any part of my legs or arms hang over the side of the mattress, because I thought if a "monster" was hiding under my bed, it could grab/bite the part hanging over the side.

AimeeSP

I was really scared of the dark when i was little and always needed my door open to let the hallway light in. I also used to have lots of nightmares, and i'd run into my mums room wanting her to comfort me and she'd just tell me to go cuddle upto my brother and leave her alone to sleep, aww. ::(:

I still am scared of the dark. ::eek:: Well, i'm scared of being alone in the dark. I love sleep and my bed, but i dread every night having to sleep alone in the dark, i don't feel safe for some reason. :confused:

xsapx

Just sleep insomnia, insomnia is the condition where it's hard to fall asleep right? Though it's better now.

FOR REAL

Banned
i feel bad for you guys cause i can sleep for 10-14 hours no problem

switch off your brain (it works for me cause i dont have a brain)

im so tired just now, its hard to type, but goodnight anyway :)

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Yeah. I had a bunch of irrational fears (like now) and nightmares. My family would get angry at me very often because I didn't want to sleep, they thought I was doing it on purpose or something.

agoraphobickatie

i don't know if i had a real issue with sleep or anything.. but throughout my life it's always taken me a while to actually fall asleep. i mean, if i have a busy day, or when i was in school and had cheerleading practice and a busy schedule all day i could go to sleep fine.. i think i'm just not active enough to fall asleep quickly, haha..

i do remember when i was a kid, i had to go get in the bed around 8:30 or something, and i would lay in my bed and sing songs.. haha.. i used to think i was singing quietly, but my mom or dad would come in my room like "katie, hush.. go to sleep!" haha.. ohhh man, i was a silly kid

nopark

When I was a kid I'd literally sleep with my eyes open. It used to freak my mom out because my eyes would be open but rolled back -- it must've been a creepy sight ha.

I was never afraid of the dark though. But like philly2bits I always needed some white noise in the background. I used to have a little fan 6" fan by my bedside. Now I have an air purifier. Sometimes when that's not enough and I play a rain soundtrack on my ipod.

Helyna

Insomia runs in my family, unfortunately, but it seems like I need more sleep than most people. ::(: And I can't really complain, because my mom gets half as much sleep as I do.
"I only got six hours!"
"I wish I could get that much!"

xxaimsxx

I was actually quite a good sleeper when i was a child. Overall I would have more good nights than bad.
I remember though a few times i would always be scared if my sister fell asleep before me when we shared bunk beds and once i got my own room i got into the habit of keeping the tv on so i could go asleep. I still do that now :/