Describe the area where you live

Foxface

I wish I lived in the woods away from people. Someplace with acerage and with a lake. That is my dream, much more realistic then having a girl/someone special.

hidwell

To get here, you drive about six miles out from the nearest town, passing a home or business with decreasing frequency. The pines are rather ubiquitous, and from this point on most homes are well off the highway (well, a farm and market road), sequestered away in their own neighborhood. Those that aren't are practically ranches.

There's 10 square acres, surrounded on the other three sides by trees. Though there are technically neighbors, it's easy enough to forget they exist (except in the winter; naked trees don't make such great cover). Three ponds, two barns, and a handsome brick house partially hidden by the makeshift earthen dike my father erected some years back when we realized just how often the water will raise precipitously high when there's not a drought. Though they can't be seen from the road, we also keep two modestly sized vegetable gardens - on the high ground, of course. A glorified natural drainage ditch runs across the property as well, and there's enough wooded area to provide some decent hiking trails.

Of course, as far as downsides go, the highway creates perpetual road noise, and it's always hot and humid here on the coastal plain. Summer sees the grass give up and die under the relentless onslaught of the daystar, and winter tends to be temperate. We're also just rural enough there's no cable services. Oh, and if it rains too much, a quarter of the property turns into a flood plain and half of it becomes a muddy slush - but that's infrequent (usually due to drought...)

Barring some catastrophe, I'll be in a college town before long. I'm not sure how I'll handle an urban environment, and though I've long shunned nature despite it being right off my patio all these years, I'm gonna miss being able to stroll through the field or through the thicket on a whim.

Very descriptive I feel I know your place now.::p:

Last edited:

Lexis

Small town, surrounded by green scenery and mountains, on an island with lots of wild life and a gaint rain cloud hovers above it all, consistently pouring 80 % of the time. That yellow ball in the sky( known as the sun as I recall) is a rare sight to see here.

hidwell

Small town, surrounded by green scenery and mountains, on an island with lots of wild life and a gaint rain cloud hovers above it all, consistently pouring 80 % of the time. That yellow ball in the sky( known as the sun as I recall) is a rare sight to see here.

On the upside you don't need to water the garden.:D

WeirdyMcGee

ohhh...
Smells like bread-- lots of trees (mostly maple/birch), lots of water (fresh), lots of mountains.
Tree-lined streets, pebble beaches and population of deer to people is roughly 3:1.
Locally famous for pottery and open-air baths.
Average household income is over nine thousand (more like, 1,000,000)

hidwell

ohhh...
Smells like bread-- lots of trees (mostly maple/birch), lots of water (fresh), lots of mountains.
Tree-lined streets, pebble beaches and population of deer to people is roughly 3:1.
Locally famous for pottery and open-air baths.
Average household income is over nine thousand (more like, 1,000,000)

Is this where you would like to live ? :confused:

1BlackSheep

Not much to see here in Silicon Valley except tech companies, Priuses, BMWs, and geeks who have waaaaay too much money!!!

GoogleAndroidBldg1.jpg
facebookHQ1.jpg
apple1.jpg

Only $100M!
LoireChateau1.jpg

Section_31

On my street, it looks pretty much like any lower midclass neighbourhood. I know almos all my neighbours but i dont hang out or do anything with them, but say hello in passing and such.

In front of my house theres a giant pine tree. I love to throw scraps of bread into the yard so the squirrells and birds come and get it, and it drives my cats banana's being at the window. Cat TV :).

I dont have a driveway, just park on the street. Nobody owns anything too new here. These houses were all built in the late 60's. Everybody both sticks to their own but watchs out for one another too. Across the street is a big scary biker guy. Lots of tatoo's piercings, 6'7, built like a brick sh** house, and he owns 3 or 4 harley's. But hes also one of the nicest people ive met, has 2 little girls hes very proud of, and he a very gentle giant. Hes also sort of the neighbourhood enforcer, once when one of the girls who lives here had kicked her BF out, he was trying to beak into her place and said giant biker neighbour quickly cured said ex BF of that inclination. Of course when the cops showed up nobody said they saw anything ;). Broad daylight!.

Sometimes ill be working on my truck and some of the neighbourhood men will come aroudn, see what im up to, ask if i need any tools or if i need help. I usually say thanks but im ok. At christmas and thanksgiving, they know its just my dad, my wife and me in the house. They usually almost always have their kids run us over some freshly cooked dinner. Just a sense of community without the constant social engagements.

Easier way of living.

Sometimes if you get up early enough, you can catch deer in our street. They arent afraid of us at all but then again also keep their distance.

A provincial park/forest is only a 5 minute drive from my house. And its a nice escape. When you go in you forget your in the heart of a big city. I need that. I love to escape to nature, just sit on a bench by the creek, listen to the water, the birds, sit very still and see if i spot any deer. Once, i stayed VERY still and i had a lynx walk up and smell me. I wanted to pet it (big kitty!) but didnt dare, wild animal, big cat = hospital visit probably followed by rabies shots, LOL. It moved on.

COyotes are another frequent sight here. They dont bother anyone, but im always super dilligent about making sure my kitties are inside. I love them and would just die if one of them fell prey to a coyote.

The city train line is also only a 15 minute walk from my place. You can hope on the train and be anywhere in the city in roughly an hour, maybe a little more. Easy to get around if you dont feel like driving.

Thats about all i can think to add for right now.

MrSunday

I live in rural Tasmania surrounded by rolling hills and tree clad ridges, where eagles fly and pademelons hop around.

My area is full of cars, it's like one person owns 50 cars. Majority of them drive like a bunch of maniacs. All deserve to be castrated for driving like out of control imitating baboons.

There is rubbish everywhere. People are loud and rude. It's just depressing. I hate hate hate my area.

Someone just throw me into a volcano or take me to Mordor. I rather sexually please Lord Saruman than to stay in my area.

Last edited: