Coworkers Making Fun of Me

R3K

so i don't know if anyone's been following my occasional journal entry things but, i'll assume not many have. basically i've taken a huge step in the last 7 months or so. left my old comfortable job and joined my buddy's restaurant that he's the head chef of as a waiter (huge increase in volume of social interaction required for this job now.)

i got through the initial bumps and scrapes of being a newbie with only a few mental scars. good amount of anxiety attacks, and i threw up right before my first day. i'm actually doing alright though, and my social motivation has increased, my anxiety generally decreased so it feels like a good thing overall.

now the twist in the story (cause nothing's ever easy or predictable in life)-- i'd been straight edge (no drugs/cigarrettes/aclohol) for the first 27 of my 32 years on this planet. and even when i did start drinking it was very sporadic and light. now, there's this cute 22 year old girl who's a waitress at my job (i'm 32 mind you,) and i feel like i'm getting a lot of flirty attention from her. but, in consulting with my best friend who's also our boss, he paints her as the (insert nice word for "slutty") type of girl and that she acts flirty toward everyone.

long story short, i feel like i'm falling for her devious mechanisms, like she's trying to lead me on for her own entertainment, and all our co-workers talk behind my back about it. i had her over to my house (which i live in with my boss) and she brought a bottle of vodka. between the two of us we killed the bottle and it was a crazy time, though nothing sexual happened. she actually threw up and fell asleep. i couldn't hide the mess from my boss/friend, so he found out about it. eventually my coworkers found out about it also, and somehow the story's been contorted in such a way that paints me as an impotent loser with erectile disfunction.

the way i see it is, my friend leaked it to one of my coworkers who then asked her about it in front of everyone, putting her on the spot. she probably said something like "nothing happened blah blah," and then one of the guys said "ooo jason (me) couldn't get it up" and now i'm the object of a really anxiety-inducing joke. to say nothing about the stress it's causing her, if any. i'm not even sure of the facts, it could be that she painted me as a sexually impotent loser from the start for her own fun.

either way, i'm confused as to what her motives are in all this, and with my increased social confidence lately, i feel more than capable of doing something about this situation to repair my stature. however, i'm wondering if i should just chalk it all up as irrelevant drama. i'm also worried i might fall back into my anti-social shell in order to deal with this stress/anxiety, which would technically be a step backward.

it's hard for me to ask for advice, and i rarely post on here, but if anyone has an idea of what i should do about this situation i'd appreciate your help.

21NZ

do you know if she actually said anything bad? or was is just that guy who made the joke? he could have been jealous?

Ignace

Don't just go out from the worst. She probably just said that the 2 of you drunk and talked a lot, that's it. ::p: Don't think automatically she said something like that. Don't mind the guy who started the rumour, that's how some guys are. ::p: Don't look anything bad behind it, just laugh with it, don't care and keep going the way you were going. ;) Hats off for you for exchanging a comfy job with a social challenging one. :)

laure15

These guys are shallow, probably obsessed with sex and look down on people who don't share the same interests. Would you rather have meaningless sex with a "cute 22 year old girl" out of peer pressure? Sometimes, doing what you think is right can earn you scorn from society, but continue to hold your head up high. Don't let them get to you.

dottie

r3k, the best thing is to laugh it off. you somehow have to make a joke of it. make fun of them back... tell them, "sorry. i don't try to score with girls who puke everywhere. i've standards unlike some of us here." laugh about it, though. don't be hurt or hostile. showing that it bothers you is a sign of weakness and is what turns it from a joke into seriousness.

never mix business with pleasure. regardless of what happens, people WILL gossip and make up nasty stories about you! they feed off of it. it is entertaining to them to make up stories about other people and then to watch them squirm by testing them. they live for that ****. i hope you've learned from this. unless you can easily laugh it off or let it roll, don't mix business with pleasure.

hardy

The perils of associating with a slutty girl??

Do not associate with fools -- Buddha

r3k, the best thing is to laugh it off. you somehow have to make a joke of it. make fun of them back... tell them, "sorry. i don't try to score with girls who puke everywhere. i've standards unlike some of us here." laugh about it, though. don't be hurt or hostile. showing that it bothers you is a sign of weakness and is what turns it from a joke into seriousness.

never mix business with pleasure. regardless of what happens, people WILL gossip and make up nasty stories about you! they feed off of it. it is entertaining to them to make up stories about other people and then to watch them squirm by testing them. they live for that ****. i hope you've learned from this. unless you can easily laugh it off or let it roll, don't mix business with pleasure.

This is oh so true.

surewhynot

These guys sound like highschool gossip girls ::p:

Don't get sucked in their little game, just go about your day and ignore such immature comments.

R3K

These guys are shallow, probably obsessed with sex and look down on people who don't share the same interests. Would you rather have meaningless sex with a "cute 22 year old girl" out of peer pressure? Sometimes, doing what you think is right can earn you scorn from society, but continue to hold your head up high. Don't let them get to you.

good point, but it's so difficult resisting the "bait," the way she be flirting and just acting in general. all the invites to movies, always talking about what kinds of drinks she likes and just basically socializing with me like i actually mattered in the world - which is something new to me, i've never gotten this kind of attention from a girl b4. i need to keep it all in perspective and realize i'm alone in a pool of jr high-level imbiciles, but.. the temptation! :confused:

i'm not sure i can roll with this kind of workplace jauntiness, even if there is no true ill-will intended in the joking. and i feel like if i tell my side of the story (the truth,) then it might escalate to that serious level that we don't really want.

as a small update on things... one of the gossipers, this muscular latino guy who also works at a club invited me, her and another waitress to his club for a halloween party. i get along with this guy on the surface, but according to my friend/boss he's one of the "shallow/jealous" naysayers leading the drama against me so i'm wondering if i should go.

part of me is saying just be hard and act like i don't know what's going on and be myself and whatnot. it's just the stress and anxiety backlash of dealing with all this is so taxing and aggrivating. i'm still confused and overwhelmed, despite all the good advice i'm getting from you all.

thank you all for your replies btw

R3K

p.s., anybody know how to change my avatar/profile pic on here? i can't figure it out for the life of me ::(: