Countdown to Fiona Apples Next Album.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple

This is something really cool I just found a couple days ago. This is the version of Criminal from Fiona's Demo tape. Fiona was so good actually that she only had to send out one before getting signed, a testament to how truly talented she is. This version has a lot more emphasis on the piano, well, because it's just her and a piano. You can sense the same rawness that you can in the album version, but I love the piano here. I think the album version is more intense and passionate, but even here you can here her ponding the keys of the piano pretty hard. Great either way.

YouTube - Fiona Apple- Criminal (Demo)

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple

This is her performing Criminal at the Fashion Awards. A few things to notice, first her outfit. This is one of more famous outfits (Man do I sound like my sister right now :rolleyes:), she has the purple and black, dark look to her. Then the performance itself, it shows how emotionally involved she gets in her songs. At the end it all builds up with some very intense screaming, a little scary but if you know Fiona you understand.

YouTube - Fiona Apple - Criminal (Live) VH1 Fashion Awards

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple

An interview from 1996, with the show talking about how she's beyond her years, has a really big voice, both of which are true. This is very, very early in her career, and yesterday I meant to say Tidal came out in '96 ::eek:::rolleyes:. This talks about all the basics of early fiona, back when she was being told by everyone who she is.

"When you know yourself, You know life."

YouTube - Fiona Apple - Buzz Bin (1996)

Last edited:

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple

He's another "featuring Fiona Apple" song. I'm not a huge fan of this song, but I don't think it's bad by any means It's "Hey Big Dog" by Margaret Cho. If I'm not mistaken it's a country song, which I don't think is her best genre. It's a nice little song though.

YouTube - Hey Big Dog Featuring Fiona Apple & Ben Lee

Last edited:

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple

She has 2 christmas/winter songs, so'll show you guys one now. Here's her rendition of Frosty the Snowman that was from the Christmas album Hotel Cafe Presents: Winter Songs. I like this a lot, play it every Christmas. The whole album actually has a lot of good songs by other artists too, including a very good duet by Sara Bareilles and Ingrid Michaelson.

YouTube - Hotel Cafe Presents Winter Songs - Fiona Apple - Frosty The Snowman

Last edited:

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple

This is Fiona reading her the title to her Second album. It's a poem she wrote after reading some bad letters to the editor about herself, and decided to use for a title. It a good message, just saying it doesn't matter what other people think or say about you, only what you think about yourself (something very fitting for SPW)

When the pawn hits the conflicts he thinks like a king
What he knows throws the blows when he goes to the fight
And he'll win the whole thing 'fore he enters the ring
There's nobody to batter when your mind is your might
So when you go solo you hold your own hand
And remember that depth is the greatest of heights
And if you know where you stand then you know where to land
And if you fall it won't matter 'cuz you know that you're right

YouTube - Fiona Apple - When the Pawn Poem

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple

Here's an interview she did with Rolling Stones, The Caged Bird Sings. The title is from a Maya Angelou Poem, I know why the Caged Bird Sings. I'll let you guys read it today, tomorrow I'll post on it.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple

Excepts from the rolling stones article.

"I want everyone to understand me. I want to be friends with everybody. I want everybody to know how I feel, and I want them all to respect it and to think that it's OK. And that's why I'm sitting here.... I think it was my desperation that drove me to have the will to do it."

Soon she had an album, but not a name. Or, rather, she had too many names. When I sit with Andy Slater, I see one old demo tape marked with the name Fiona Apple McAfee-Maggart. Apple, her middle name, was from her father's grandmother. When she met the people from the record company, she had only one stipulation: "I said, 'Not Apple.'" She thought of finding another name altogether; after all that's what Maya Angelou (real name: Marguerite Johnson) did. Fiona's mother chipped in with a suggestion: "She phoned up and said, 'I've got a great name! You know how you're always alone? You could call yourself Fiona Lone.'" The one idea Fiona considered seriously was Fiona Maria. "Then six months later," she says, "the contract comes - 'Your stage name is Fiona Apple' - and I started laughing." The biblical resonances didn't strike her until much later on. The apple: the thing that starts all the knowledge, but that also starts all the trouble.

FIONA APPLE HAS A CURIOUS, INTENSE faith in the truth. In her music, she believes that if she is honest, what she creates cannot be without worth. In her life. She believes truth is the safest refuge. These are dangerous, high-risk beliefs.
"I have problems," she says, "but everybody's got problems, and I sometimes honestly have felt in my life that people have used me as a way to make themselves feel better, because I'm a very good person to save." And I sometimes think: 'I'm not that bad off; it's really you that's making me feel like ****

Fiona Apple used to have this daydream fantasy. She will walk into school chapel and there will be these lumps underneath her clothes, just beginning to show. She'll stride down the center aisle and kneel in front of the altar, and all of her clothes will peel off. Her wings will show themselves. She will look at everybody – all those people who had teased her, or laughed at her, or talked behind her back about how weird she was – and then she will rise up and fly out of the building. And as she sweeps into the sky, free and triumphant, she will hear them all whispering. Many voices, but all saying the same three words; at least acknowledging, with their amazed chatter, what she always knew, and they never believed.

Fiona has wings…. Fiona has wings…. Fiona has…