Countdown to Fiona Apples Next Album.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
^Hey you forgot a video Loony! Don't worry I'll fix that. (thanks RC ;))

Her cover of Why Try To Change Me Now by Cy Coleman. This was actually on a tribute album to Cy Coleman, so it sounds cleaned up. This is a great cover because it is it right up her alley, plays to all her strengths. It doesn't sound like her music, but you can definately see how music like this influnced Fiona when she was growing up, it is so apperent in her music I think.

YouTube - Fiona Apple - Why Try To Change Me Now

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple

You Belong to Me, originally recorded by Sue Thompson. I like song this song a lot, yet I have never bothered to listen to any of the old recordings of it, it's from 1952 and has been covered many times. Now let me tell you about the influence of Fiona Apple on the music I listen to today. I remember a couple of years ago I was looking for the original artist on itunes because I like the song and found another cover, this one by the Bird and the Bee. I was hooked, and now I have every song by them plus various covers. I'll post their rendition too.

YouTube - Fiona Apple - You Belong To Me

YouTube - ?? Tonight You Belong to Me ??

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple

Here's Blue Skies, written by Irving Berlin for a musical that has been cover by many, including Bing Crosby. I love her version of the song but this youtube video does not do justice, at least compared to the one on my ipod. You'll need to turn the volume up a bit to hear it (all you thousands of people who read this everyday:rolleyes:) but it will be well worth your time.

YouTube - Fiona Apple Blue Skies.wmv

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple

Her cover of When I get Low, I get High by Ella Fitzgerald. This specific performance was done when she toured with Nickel Creek, a country band, which she did in 2007. If I'm not mistaken this is the last time she toured.

YouTube - When I Get Low, I Get High

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple

Her cover of I Walk a Little Faster by Cy Coleman, on the same tribute album as her other cover of him. When she covers Coleman is slows her down, which emphasizes her singing ability. She has songs like Criminal and Fast as you Can which are faster and more emotion filled, and you forget how well she actually sings when you get lost in them.

YouTube - Fiona Apple - I Walk A Little Faster

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple

This is an instrumental that is supposedly by Fiona Apple and Marilyn Manson called Pop my Cherry. I approach this song with great skepticism, because I do not hear her voice and it is not official, and as we know the internet is often times very wrong :)eek:). I can see it being by her, but it would be a bit of a stretch in my opinion. Here it is.

YouTube - Fiona Apple -- Pop My Cherry (ft. Marilyn Manson)

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple

Her cover of River, Stay Away From My Door,originally by Kate Smith and notably covered by Frank Sinatra. I love watching these live recordings when she's so comfortable and having fun. I mean her album songs are great, amazing, passion filled, ect.., but seeing she's also human is real nice (especially when she's smiling). :)

YouTube - Fiona Apple - River, Stay Away From My Door

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple

Modern Don Juan by Buddy Holly. It's usually labelled as "Just a Man in Love," which is not the correct title of the song. This is a rare cover by Fiona, and is hard to find anyway. I like the original as much as I like Fiona's version, which is uncommon :rolleyes:. I never realized why Buddy Holly was really all the popular until I heard this song, I understand why Don Mclean made a song about him now :D.

YouTube - Fiona Apple Just a Man in Love.wmv

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
^true

A Duet with Elvis Costello, singing his song Shabby Doll. Now this show, Decades of Rock, Fiona must have had her Wheaties for breakfast because she brought her A game. This song and her haunting rendition of I Want You are just great. Fiona is not always known for her live performances, but she killed this one.

YouTube - Elvis Costello, Fiona Apple - Shabby Doll

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple

Walking After Midnight by Patsy Cline. Well this is the last cover I can find online outside some Christmas songs (that I'll save ;)). I have some more covers on my iPod (like the theme song to gumby ::p:) but nothing I can find online though. I guess next will be inteviews and notable live performances, and maybe some other non-Fiona :)eek:) artist that either influenced her or were heavily influenced by her. You know, and some other random stuff.

YouTube - Fiona Apple "Walking After Midnight"

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple

Johnny Cash covering Cat Stevens Father and Son. Fiona is barely in this one, but she is. She has really taken advantage of her opportunity to perform with greats (Johnny cash, Elvis Costello) and sign all her favorite songs, despite how old and not-mainstream they are.

YouTube - Johnny Cash "Father and Son"

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple

Fiona Apple On the Late, Late Show with Craig Ferguson. Starts off with live performance of Get Him Back , and then goes onto a good interview I think, Craig is a funny guy :D. Some points, if you don't watch it (which none of you won't :rolleyes:) are she says she only writes when she's angry or sad, kinda to get everything out. Why write when happy? 9:00-end is good, if you like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EzEC61AHi0&feature=related

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple

Here's Fiona on MTV in 1997. I like someone who commented on youtube who said "WOW. Mtv used to air real musicians. It's been so long I've forgotten." :D She talks about the name of her album on here, and being on the Lilth tour (Girl POWER!).

YouTube - Fiona Apple - interview (1997)

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple

Ok, I know what you're thinking, "What the ****, that's not Fiona Apple!!! :mad:" Well I thought I'd show you guys the influence she has in music. Sara has often been compared to Fiona Apple and has said on more then one occasion she is very influenced by her music. She met Fiona once and, well...

On meeting Fiona Apple:

“I saw her once. I was drunk; she seemed like she was drinking too. But I got up the courage to introduce myself. Then the next morning I was like, ‘uh-oh.’ Maybe I was hoping for a moment of connection, but really how can you explain what you’re about in 10 seconds? She was kind of blasé, and at the time I was a little crushed, but now I understand.”

In this song, City, she says about 20 sec's in Getr Gone, which all you big Fiona fans know is the name of one her songs. I don't think that's the commonest of expressions, and was mostly likely used after hearing it in the song. (Not to say she wouldn't have come across the get gone without the song, but yeah.)

YouTube - "City" by Sara Bareilles

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple

Well here she is on the Howard Stern show. If any of you are familiar with the Howard Stern show, you know what he's like. Fiona is just a really cool, down to earth person on it. I mean I wouldn't call her normal (What an insult to her!) but she definitely presents herself very well. She is always nice to hear talk, so enjoy (vj, who's the only one who watched it.)

YouTube - Fiona Apple at Howard Stern (part1/2)

YouTube - Fiona Apple at Howard Stern (part2/2)